Monday, July 30, 2012

Sad News

Thought for the day:  It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we love. It is like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things.  [Lemony Snicket]


It isn't as though I expected her to live forever. We've known since the middle of June that her time was running out. Still, one can't help but hope.

Doctors don't know everything, right?

But it seems, that this time, they did. I'm sorry to say that my husband's dear mother has died.

What can I say about her? She was what she was. No airs about her. She never pretended to be anyone other than who she was, or pretended to know anything she didn't know. Salt of the earth, you might say. A loving mother, mother-in-law, grandmother, great grandmother, and friend. Generous to a fault, without expecting anything in return. Kind, but fiercely protective of the people she loved. And as she approached the end, she faced it not only with grace and good humor, but with eager anticipation. It was like she had her bags packed and was waiting on the street corner for an overdue bus. She was ready to go. Said she had a good life, and no regrets. Yes, she was ready... but we weren't. The world is a sadder place without her.

4th of July

Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come. [Rabindranath Tagore]

So, needless to say, I'll be away from the Blogosphere for a while. We're off to Baltimore again, but this time, the trip will be painfully bittersweet. Our loss is Heaven's gain.

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross said, I've told my children that when I die, to release balloons in the sky to celebrate that I graduated. For me, death is a graduation.






I rather like that way of thinking. Don't you?
















                             Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

For death is no more than turning of us over from time to eternity. [William Penn]

Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them. [George Eliot]

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.  [Mark Twain]

39 comments:

  1. Susan, my deepest sympathy and condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings to you and your family. My sincerest sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's loss. You, your husband, and your family have my deepest sympathy. At a time like this, words seem so futile. I'm sure you have many memories to treasure.

    My Mother died nearly three years ago and I never got over it. It was the greatest loss of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Susan .. I'm so sorry for your husband's loss and for you and the family as a whole. As I'm ahead of you on that path .. my mother didn't want to go, yet I'm sure was ready - though she never said it - and thankfully I was ready having been with her nearly daily for these past few years ...

    Your M-I-L sounds just lovely .. one of those who lived through hard times, when expectations were limited and they all got on with things.

    Your words ring so true and I am sure there are many stories and happy times arising from her long life - that was a blessing.

    My thoughts are with you and particularly your husband ... big hugs Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving thoughts reach out to your husband and your family on your loss of a dear, sweet person.

    I like your analogy of the packed bag. Blessings, from Manzi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs and good thoughts to y'all. Please take care and have a safe trip.

    [If you need ANYthing while in my part of the world - you know you only need to ask. We're pretty close by.]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sus, that quote by Rabindranath Tagore was one I had never read, before. It took my breath away. I pray that knowledge comfort you and your husband in the face of this loss.

    Take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was a wonderful person who will live on in your memories. May she travel in peace to her next horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so sorry, Susan. As you say, it's always a shock, no matter how prepared for the inevitable we are.

    Sounds like she was a truly amazing person. May you and your husband find peace in the memories you have of her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry, sweetie. Your words about her brought me to tears. She sounded like a wonderful person to have known.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a role model, in all things, really. Knowing her children were in good hands, must have been a great comfort to her.

    *sigh* Take care, you.

    (Interesting way to look at it, Mark Twain... quite true.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, My condolences to you and your husband. This is a wonderful, loving tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though expected, I know how hard it is to lose someone you have loved for a large part of your life. My sincere condolence to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry for you loss. It's such a blessing to have a mother-in-law such as you had. She's left her legacy and done well!

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Susan, I'm so sorry. I know you know it was expected, but still it hurts. She sounds like she was a very great lady. Thanks for sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm always at a loss for words in situations like this but you and Mike have my sympathy.
    Love - Ron

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Susan,
    My condolences to your beloved husband on the passing of his beloved mother. And my condolences to you and all of your loved ones in memory of this cherished lady.
    In kindness, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Firstly, my condolences to you and your husband. Losing family is never easy.

    My favourite quote of this ilk is 'Death is never sad, if the gift of life has been well used'. I'd go along with that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Death is a continuum. My condolences for your loss, and my congratulations to Heaven.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  21. My thoughts are with you Susan. What a sweet tribute to a really fine person. It's funny, we don't realize how many fine people there really are in this world until we lose one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so sorry for your loss.

    All the best to you and your other half.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely tribute to a lovely lady ... I am sorry for your loss, and I know how you must both be feeling. I lost my mum, six years ago now, and it still seems like one leg's missing off the table of my life - but all you can do is remember the good times - and the fact that, without great love, there wouldn't be great loss. And, hard though it is, the love survive the loss, in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Susan, I'm very sad to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    May you have peace and a touch of joyful connection when you release those balloons!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry so to read this. Looks like she had a wonderful life, though, and that is a blessing. Hope the trip to Baltimore is healing for all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so sorry, my friend, and please convey this to your husband as well.

    I hope you find comfort in the quote you listed. It's lovely.

    Hugs,

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am thinking of you and your hubs. Sending you lots of love and hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Blessings Susan, and condolences to your spouse's loss. I read some beautiful thoughts on this post, my best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Susan. I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. Even when it's expected, it's a shock. I wish you all peace and comfort as you adjust to life without her.
    Much love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you all so very much. I'm overwhelmed by your kind words and understanding. You guys rock.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so sorry to hear of your sad news. When my mum was diagnosed and she saw me crying her response was, "you didn't think I'd live forever, did you?" yes, I did. We all want our mums to live for ever. My condolences to your husband too. Men hold a lot inside.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so sorry for your loss Susan. This was such a lovely tribute to your mother-in-law. It's wonderful that you had such a close relationship, and you can see her happiness in your beautiful wedding photo. My condolences to your husband and the rest of your family. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. My husband lost his dear mother years ago, and I lost a wonderful friend. Your late mother-in-law sounds a lot like her; I'll bet they would have been good friends. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Annmarie, Rosalind, Julie, and Marian- Thank you so much. Your kindness means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  35. condolences. And even i lost my grandpa this month, in the hands of death

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am thinking of you and hoping you and your family are doing OK. I know what a hard time this is for you all. The longer you have these people in your life, the more difficult it is to say good bye. How lucky you were to have this lady in your life for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Goki- And condolences to you, too, dear sir. Thank you so much for stopping by.

    Arleen- Awwwwww. You brought tears to my eyes. I think I'm very lucky to have someone like YOU in my life. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your concern. We're doing fine, really, and I'll get back to posting again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete