Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Oops! Mistaeks Happen

Thought for the day:    Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself. [Groucho Marx]                                 


Hi-ya. Welcome to this month's edition of the Insecure Writer's Support Group meeting... er, virtual meeting, that is. This, the first Wednesday of the month, is the time when writers all over the world post about the ups and downs, the highs and lows, the ins and outs... of writing. We celebrate... we complain... we commiserate. Whatever we need, this is the place to find it. Humble thanks and a jolly tip of the hat go to Alex Cavanaugh, our fearless ninja leader and the originator of this fine group. If you'd like to join (It's FREE!) or would like to read some of the other posts, please go HERE

This month, we're gonna talk about making mistakes. I am the author of my life. Unfortunately, I'm writing in pen, and I can't erase my mistakes. [author unknown]

It's true. I do write in pen, but I don't worry about erasing anything. However, my process involves a lot of scratching out and writing in the margins.

[image: morguefile]

When Smarticus and I were on our way to Alabama to visit our son and his family, an overturned truck on the other side of the highway turned drivers into parkers for miles... and miles... and miles. (And miles!) No telling how long traffic had been stopped, but judging by the number of people mulling around outside their vehicles, it must've been pretty long. When we finally got past the blockage and saw those poor unsuspecting drivers blithely heading for the unexpected misery ahead, I wanted to yell, Go baaaack!

Not that they could've heard me, poor things.

Evi-doggone-dently, some writers feel the same about writing: If you have any young friends who aspire to be writers, the second best favor your can do them is to present them with copies of 'The Elements of Style.' The greatest, of course, is to shoot them now, while they're happy. [Dorothy Parker]

That's a bit extreme, but she does have a point. Without a doubt, there's plenty of joy to be found in writing, but there are a heckuva lot of unexpected traffic jams, too. The competition to carve out a comfortable spot in the writing world is fierce. It seems like bazillions of writers are scrambling to find an agent and/or publisher, and even more bazillions are self-publishing thousands and thousands of books every day. Sometimes it feels like all the other writers are flying down the superhighway in the other direction at a hundred and ten, while I'm still stuck behind an overturned truck. In all of those miles and miles and miles (And miles!) of aspiring writers stuck on the highway with me... how's a gal to get ahead? I don't want anyone to shoot me, but maybe it would be smart to simply... take the next available exit, sit back, and enjoy a nice strawberry shake. Or at the very least, take a detour. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Nah! A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. [George Bernard Shaw]

Man, I must have honor and usefulness out the wazoo, because I'm a whiz kid when it comes to making mistakes. But like Albert Einstein said, Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.


 As you might have guessed, in a roundabout way, this month's question is about mistakes. It is: What pitfalls would you warn other writers to avoid on their publication journey?

For me personally, my biggest mistake was putting off writing for so many years. I let the busyness of life, the child-raising, all the myriad volunteer activities and club memberships, etc. stand in the way.  I always figured I'd get serious about writing... later... and now, boyohboy, it's later, all right. So my advise would be to just do it, already! Don't fall into the trap of thinking you've got plenty of time. This isn't a dress rehearsal, and as far as we know, this is the only life we have, so if you truly want to write... write, doggone it!

You can't wait for inspiration to strike. You have to go after it with a club. [Jack London]

Other pitfalls, which fall into a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do category:
  • Don't worry about making your first draft perfect. Just get the words down, and worry about editing it later. (I could write OH so much faster if I could make myself follow this.)
  • Once your baby is published, don't obsess over sales and reviews. Let it toddle off into the world on its own... and get to work writing something else. (Not that I, ahem, check them every day... or twice a day... or anything like that...)
  • Don't take it personally when someone doesn't like something you've written. (As Megan Fox so eloquently put it, Hold your head high and your middle finger higher.) Just kidding. But face it: not everyone will like your book, because there's no accounting for taste. Heck, some people don't like steak or lobster...
  • If writing is your dream, never give it up. Philip Roth said, The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress. That could be, but don't let that happen to you. If you love what you're writing, keep on writing! The going may be rough at times, but it's well worth it to finally cross the finish line. 
Don't carry your mistakes around with you. Instead, place them under your feet and use them as stepping stones to rise above them. [author unknown]

Works for me! My stepping stones are currently stacked so high, they look like a Stairway to Heaven...

                      Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.
















85 comments:

  1. Mistakes? I make Lots and lots and lots of them. And sometimes (not admitting how often) even the same ones twice. Hope does indeed spring eternal.
    This reader thanks you, and every other writer. From the bottom, the top, and the middle (ie with all) of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only people who don't make mistakes are people who aren't doing anything... and politicians. (A teensy bit of sarcasm there.)

      Thank YOU for being such a voracious reader. :)

      Delete
    2. I ALWAYS try to make the same mistake 3 or 4 times, so I can be sure I was wrong!!

      Delete
    3. For sure. Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once. :)

      Delete
  2. So much good advice here. I really should knuckle down and get writing, but I've been a procrastinator since the day I was born, except for walking, I got onto that very early. My biggest problem seems to be conflict and resolution, which I'm told every story must have and I don't think I can do it well, or at all. I simply don't have much experience in that field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am, you SHOULD! You have the imagination and the talent; it's only a question of whether you want to do it or not. As for conflict and resolution, you've got that, girl! I know you do. And the only way you can get experience is by... doing it! Why not start today?

      Delete
  3. Great advice - never give up is my motto. We all make mistakes, it's just a case of using them creatively to advance. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Never give up. Reminds me of a picture we used to have in the garage. It shows the legs of a frog hanging out of a big bird's mouth, and the caption is, "Never give up!"

      Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  4. If I had a dollar for every mistake I made I'd be a billionaire, at least....

    Writing is a very personal endeavor and we all make mistakes in our own unique personal ways. There's no sure-fire guide to get us past all those overturned trucks.

    In my humble opinion, some of the biggest mistakes writers make are thinking too much, planning too much, over-analyzing, and (possibly) over-editing.

    One of the mistakes I made as a very young fledgling writer was to emulate (copy??) the styles of my favorite writers. Never try to be someone else. Always be yourself. Don't write for the masses. Don't be over-concerned about what others will think. Write from your heart and soul. Find your own voice and utilize it to the fullest extent.

    BTW - your advice in this post is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's too bad nobody pays us for screwing up, isn't it? (Hell, there's not much pay involved when we get it right, either!)

      Thanks. YOUR advice is spot-on, too. I reckon maybe we got "paid" for those mistakes, after all. We learned from them.

      Delete
  5. I always love your posts Susan. I love your honesty and your encouragement. I write in pen too and I'm good at drawing with it. Unfortunately I'm left handed and it smears all over me too lol. The first draft always got me as a beginner. I am much smarter now. Happy IWSG Day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What a sweet thing to say. :)

      Good to know you're smarter now. As they say, with age comes wisdom. (Unfortunately, sometimes all it brings is wrinkles, so I'm glad it's working out well for you!)

      Happy IWSG to you, too!

      Delete
    2. I have this quote pinned up on my wall:
      "Wisdom doesn't necessarily come along with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself"
      Describes me perfectly.

      Delete
  6. Love all the quotes, Susan! I think once we recognize that we're going to make mistakes, that we're going to fail sometimes, it kind of frees us up to maybe take a few more chances, stretch ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I think you're right! When we don't expect ourselves to be "perfect" and realize our efforts will sometimes fall short of the mark, it frees us from the the self-inflicted pressure.

      Delete
  7. this post nailed it with the quotes and your advice. Plenty of traffic jams ahead in the struggle for words, but you do have to be patient and write on....excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad it resonated with you.

      And phooey on the traffic jams. Let's just get out and walk... maybe there's a nice museum nearby?

      Delete
  8. I love the Dorothy Parker quote :-)

    Great tips! I wish I could follow the first draft rule better. I can get really stuck when I look back at the garbage I wrote and not want to keep going. I have to remind myself that that's what draft two is for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. She had a great sense of humor!

      It IS hard not to edit as we write, isn't it? Even if it's garbage, we have to get it down, doggone it! The editing can come later, and it's impossible to edit a blank page.

      Delete
    2. I edit chapter by chapter. I can't not do it.

      Delete
  9. Just shoot them! Funny.
    If you get stuck on the road, there are plenty of other roads to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and the detours can lead us to some mighty interesting places.

      Delete
  10. You've given some good tips for writing that can easily apply to life too. We all make mistakes and life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think the best tips are usually ones that can be extrapolated to cover broader aspects of our lives.

      Delete
  11. Isn't that awful when you get past a terrible traffic jam and then see the oblivious drivers heading towards it? I feel bad and then I think, they may be saying the same thing about me! How do I know I'm not heading towards a mess? LOL I guess there's an analogy for life in there somewhere.
    I wish I had started writing earlier too. But at least I'm glad I finally did start. Great advice all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It IS awful. Reminds me of some of the cheesy "scary" rides at some amusement parks with the breathy voices moaning, "Go baaaaack!" But you're right. We're just as oblivious when we're headed into a traffic jam, too.

      I'm glad you started writing, too. :)

      Delete
  12. That which has not been done are our greatest regrets in life. Mistakes are our greatest teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're especially philosophical today... and of course, you're RIGHT!

      Delete
  13. Never worried much about my writings, friend Sue. I agonize over the poems though, and am quick to delete as you know. In other news … funny you mentioned the word "shooting" … I broke my knee plate a week ago and moving as fast as I can, which is close to nil … and while sitting there feeling sorry for myself, I thought to myself: If I was a horse, they would shoot me. Anyway … maybe now I can find the time to read your new book … smiles … Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OW! That sounds utterly miserable. But we won't shoot you, dear cat. We'll put your leg atop a soft pillow and bring you a nice cold drink. Get well soon!

      Delete
  14. A lovely post, Susan. I laughed aloud. I need to print out some of those posts, especially after one of my critique partners said he found my hero "whiny and adolescent." (The other two C.P.s liked him, so--)
    Wishing you happy writing in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhonda. Always happy to make someone laugh. (Especially when it's WITH me and not AT me!) And so what if you hero IS whiny and adolescent? Flawed heroes are the best.

      Happy writing to you, too!

      Delete
  15. So true. If you wait for inspiration to strike you'll never get anything written.
    I love your post.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, inspiration always seems to strike at the most inconvenient times... :)

      Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Shalom back atcha.

      Delete
  16. I REALLY enjoyed this look inside an author's/your mind, Susan! My dream of writing the Great American novel's reduced to ashes, but I can sure empathize with what you said about editing. Must be a sickness; I can't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I'm glad you enjoyed checking out the shadowy space in my head. It can be a little scary in there...

      If writing was ever your dream, don't LET it be reduced to ashes. It's never too late. Really. As long as you're breathing, there's still time to give it a shot.

      Yeah, I think you're right about the need to edit being a disease. My internal editor is one bossy gal.

      Delete
  17. I would advise writers to always carefully poof read their work.
    (I should perhaps point out that 'poof' is a British slang word for a gay man!)
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s concinnituous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! You're a real card, aren't ya? I didn't even catch the spelling switcheroo until I saw your explanation. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, the post is supposed to be dramatic irony!

      Delete
  18. Great post and great advice! Now I need to sit down and follow it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very true, if you want to write, have to write. Taking newbies out behind the barn and shooting them may be a nice gesture lol And yeah, you'll never please everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Well, I don't know if it'd be a very "nice" gesture...

      Delete
    2. Just shooting their hands so they can't write. See? Not so bad.

      Delete
  20. Your 2nd bullet point is a huge problem for me - I can't stop the fiddling!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I bet I rewrote the first chapter of my first book at least twenty times.

      Delete
  21. Your post was filled with good advice. My first book, I was so worried about getting that first draft right that it took me two years to write it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me even longer than that to stop fiddling with my first. Each one gets a little easier, I hope. Right? Right!

      Delete
  22. Yes, we do all make mistakes … and generally we learn from them!

    Happy August - have a good month.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, we learn from them, anyway. :)

      Happy August to you, too!

      Delete
  23. Yam:

    I am writing to you to let you know about Emily’s Virtual Rocket. It is a news blog to keep people informed regarding transgender issues. In addition, gay, lesbian, and/or bisexual issues are also covered. Here goes:

    Emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot.com

    Thank you very much!

    Sincerely,

    Emily Shorette





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your new blog. I YAM... named Susan. :)

      Delete
  24. Hi Susan - great post ... and yes - just get on with it... life runs away as we get older, and we can't run with it! Mistakes will carry on happening - but we'll feel more energised to catch them if we're not going round in circles all the time ... fun post - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. Yup, we don't have as much time to "get 'er done" as we used to. It'd be nice if we were all done making mistakes, but I know better. (Speaking for myself, anyway.)

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  25. The road to pitfalls is peppered with your humor. Loved this Susan. I'm with you re leaving writing so late in life but I was always thinking I had to gather a lot more writing experience (aka travel) before I had anything to say. Now I'm saying it very quickly, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Good for you. I still have lots I want to say, but I'm slower than a tortoise with arthritis.

      Delete
  26. Good points. If you take it all personally, you'll never make it in this business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. If a writer doesn't have a thick skin when he starts out, he'd better develop one quickly.

      Delete
  27. Lots of great advice! So true about not obsessing over sales and reviews. (Which I...uh...fall victim to, a lot. Heh.) The time spent obsessing is definitely always better used on creating instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sooooooo hard not to check for reviews and new sales, isn't it?

      Delete
  28. So many good points here. The only way we improve is by first making the mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the mistakes I've made, I should be darned near perfect by now. :)

      Delete
  29. We can't forget that we write because we enjoy it. Yep, it's a lot of work, and a lot of disappointments along the way, but as long as we still enjoy writing, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It's easy to keep on writing when we love what we're doing it. When it gets to be a "chore," that's when I'll set it aside.

      Delete
  30. Great advice! And I feel the same way about the people who are heading into a traffic jam. I want to yell at them, warn them...but can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Those poor people heading into those endless jams, and boyohboy, we have lots of them in the Atlanta area. No wonder I hate to drive on the interstate.

      Delete
  31. Agreed! Failing is so much better than not trying - I feel like I have a duty to myself to live my most authentic version of myself and also try not to look at the numbers :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'd all like to be our most authentic selves, but it takes a lot of us way too long to figure out who that authentic self is.

      Delete
  32. I like the Jack London quote. That's pretty much the theme of a talk I gave last year on writer's block - don't wait for the fickle Muse, get to the source of the problem and deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, waiting for the fickle Muse to come tap us on the shoulder with some glorious idea makes about as much sense as waiting for a bus in the middle of the forest. :)

      Delete
  33. Love your advice to writers, I too wish I hadn't waited so long. So much to learn and so little time! Love the quotes, guess that means it's time to get my ass in gear! Love you, love your wisdom!
    It's Monday and I'm full of love... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, full of love, eh? That certainly sounds promising. :)

      Love you, too, kiddo.

      Delete
  34. You have excellent advice for writers. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes, agree. Even if we do fail, at least we tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only true failure is giving up on something without even trying.

      Delete
  36. I'm super late because I was busy living life rather than playing with the pen last week...meaning miles and miles in the car while little ones laughed and sang and enjoyed the moment. I agree about mistakes and moving forward regardless, and although you may regret not having worked on your writing while younger, I honestly don't see that as a mistake. What really matters at the end of the day are the relationships we have. Relationships take time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, you're never late. Whenever you get here is always the perfect time. :)

      Good point. I sometimes get bugged because I waited until so late in life to get serious about writing, but I honestly don't regret devoting time to any of the things I did do. My husband, kids, and now grandkids... still take priority.

      Delete
  37. I'm sure that someone told Cervantes that writing such a long novel like Don Quixote was a mistake. Hmmm... Remind me again what happened after? :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! J.K. Rowling didn't fare too poorly with her long books, either, no matter what a bazillion publishers might've told her.

      Greetings back atcha.

      Delete