Friday, November 2, 2018

There's No Accounting for Taste

Thought for the day:  How is it that a toddler can be so picky and slow when it comes to eating a nutritious dinner, and yet so fast when it comes to shoving every disgusting thing he finds on the ground into his mouth?


[morguefile]
Have you ever noticed how terrapin, turtle, and tortoise seem to be used interchangeably? No? Well, I did, and it made me wonder what, if any, difference there was between the terms. Now that I've done some reading, I can safely report that there is no longer a need to include the word terrapin in my vocabulary. No sirree, and here's why. Turtle is a generic term, so you can properly use it to refer to any of those adorable shelled reptiles, whether they live on the land or in the water.  A tortoise is a turtle, and though the term can be used to denote any turtle, it refers more precisely to a land turtle. But terrapin is defined as any of North America's edible water turtles. Oh, no, no, no, no, no.  I don't know about you, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as an edible turtle. So, I will not be using that word again anytime soon.

And yeah, I know some of you may disagree. Some of you may consider turtles a wonderful delicacy. After all, even though I think calves are absolutely adorable and have the most beautiful eyes, when driving past a field of them, I may or may not have said a time or two, "Oh, look at all the veals!"

I know. Crass.

But if you think about it, we human eat a lot of strange foods. I mean, I was raised on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay, so I love good salty raw oysters, but I still wonder about the first human who picked one up and thought, I'm going to open that thing and eat whatever I find inside. (Even if it looks like the Jolly Green Giant's booger on a half-shell? I don't think I would've been that brave.)

I've gotta admit... it doesn't look terribly appetizing.
OK, let's take a look at some of the weird things some of us eat, shall we?
  • In Sardinia, people eat something called casu marzu, which is cheese riddled with insect larvae. Appropriately enough, it is also called maggot cheese. Yum, huh?
  • In Indonesia, fried monkey toes are considered a delicacy.
  • In Hungary, a favorite dish is comprised of fresh pig blood and scrambled eggs.
  • Talking about blood, in Sweden, blood dumplings are made with flour and reindeer blood, and the Polish have czarnina, a soup whose not-so-secret ingredient is duck blood.
  • Ever hear of head cheese? It looks like a nondescript mish-mash jellied lunch meat, and can be found in many delis. Did you know that isn't just a cutesy name? That it's actually made from the head of a pig? A whole head, which has to be shaved, and has to have the wax removed from its ears, prior to cooking? If you have the stomach for it, you can see how it's done here
head cheese

  • Americans traditionally eat some pretty weird stuff, too. How about scrapple, which is allegedly made from every part of the pig but its oink? I also read that some people in the South eat squirrel brains, although I can't say I've ever seen any of my neighbors so indulge, and I don't plan to serve them at our next dinner party, either.
  • In Eastern Europe, there's a dish called p'tcha which is a translucent "jello" made from calves' feet. 
  • Oh, and while we're talking about feet, let's not forget pickled pig and cow feet. (There's a jar of pickled pig feet lurking in my pantry now... for Smarticus, not me!)
  • In France, they eat calf's head; in Slovenia, they eat stewed dormice; in Italy, they eat cibreo, which is cock's combs; and in Thailand, they eat rats.
  • You've heard of Chinese birds nest soup? It is literally made from swifts' nests, and lest you think those nests are made of twigs and grass, they aren't. They're mostly made of saliva.
  • In the Philippines, balut answers the age-old chicken-or-the-egg question. This dish is made of fertilized eggs, which are cooked just before they hatch, so when you eat it, you get both the chicken (or duck) AND the egg.  
  • One of  Korea's favorite dishes is sannakji. Octopus. No big deal, you say? You've eaten octopus many times, you say?  How many times have you eaten it while it was still squirming on your plate? That's right. This dish is reeeeeeally fresh. While it's still alive, the octopus is cut into pieces and sprinkled with sesame oil, and the tentacles are STILL MOVING when diners pop it into their mouths. It poses quite a challenge, too, because those little suction cups on the tentacles stick to whatever surface they touch. So the diner has to pry his dinner from his chopsticks, and once it's in his mouth,  the tentacles latch onto his teeth, his tongue, and the roof of his mouth. And that's not all... sometimes, they don't even cut the octopus into manageable pieces. Sometimes they leave it whole, wrap the tentacles around a pair of chopsticks and stuff it into their mouths, head first. There are quite a few videos on Youtube of people eating live octopi, but they were a little too gross for me to share. If you want to see any of those videos, they're easy to find. (As well as people eating other live animals.)
  • And then, there's the national dish of Scotland. Haggis. This is a sausage-like dish which contains what they call the pluck of a sheep: its heart, liver, and lungs. (Takes a bit of pluck to eat it, too!) When all the ingredients are combined, they're traditionally sewn into the sheep's stomach for cooking, with the windpipe hanging over the side of the pot. Modern recipes, however, may call for tongue instead of lung, and sausage casing instead of sheep's stomach. 
  • This love-it or hate-it food comes to us from the UK:  

Marmite is a dark brown spread made from brewery yeast by-products. After seeing it mentioned on several blogs, I bought some at a local British specialty store. The shop's owner fairly waxed poetic about this stuff, but she warned me not to spread it on my toast like butter. "A very thin coat will do you," she said. Indeed. Although British children pretty much eat Marmite from the time they're weaned, I must say, even a very thin coating of it delivered a powerhouse punch of taste for my palate. Not exactly yeasty. It's a little salty and has a strong strong taste unlike anything I've ever eaten before. It's chock full of B vitamins, and very nutritious, so I might try it again, but no rush. I have plenty of time. Even after opening, the stuff will last for years at room temperature.

In closing on this whole weird foods of the world idea, I'll let these following pictures speak for themselves:

 bugs on a stick


fried spiders, anyone?


So, what's all this mean? It means there's simply no accounting for taste. People like what they like, and hate what they hate. Just because I tried chocolate-covered ants when I was a kid (they're crunchy) doesn't mean I'd ever choose them over a Hershey bar. Just because I ate snake once (it really DOES taste like chicken) doesn't mean I ever want to eat it again. And just because most of the world loves chocolate doesn't make you wrong if you hate it.

And here we go: Rejection from any given agent, publisher or reader doesn't mean your writing stinks. All it means is you haven't submitted it to the person with the perfect palate for it yet. The work of any creative person  is every bit as susceptible to personal taste as a still-moving chunk of octopus or jar of pickled pigs feet. I'll betcha even Michelangelo had his detractors. (the artist, not the ninja turtle)

                             So what's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

                        Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

Wait! Don't leave yet! I don't want to gross you guys out; I'd rather make you feel good. This video ought to do it. Not only will it bring a tear or two to your eyes, but it might make you feel a little more grateful for your next meal... no matter what you eat.


54 comments:

  1. I am very grateful to be a vegetarian. And I don't eat the Australian version of marmite - vegemite.
    I just watched the video, and have tears dripping down my face. If I short out the keyboard it is your fault.
    And thank you for sharing it. It is nice to be reminded that there are good people still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how a lot of these food choices could turn a lot of people into being a vegetarian.

      You're welcome. I'm glad the video touched you as much as it touched me. Nowadays, we all need to be reminded that there are plenty of good people still around.

      Delete
  2. Marmite will keep for quite a while, but I wouldn't hold onto it for years. We Aussies have Vegemite, which is our version of Marmite and it used to be the better choice, but then the brand got sold and bought back and whatever else happened, it isn't quite the same as the Vegemite I remember from childhood.
    Now the oysters: "I'm going to open that thing and eat whatever I find inside" Much like the egg, "I'm going to eat the next thing that comes out of it's bum (referring to a chicken), I'm much more inclined to think early man watched other animals cracking open those shells (eggs, oysters, crabs etc) and just copied them, knowing they were getting food. I haven't watched the video yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it keeps for quite a while, because it's gonna be quite a while before I get the urge to give it another try. I've heard of Vegemite, but I've never tried it. I've never seen it in any of our stores, so it may not be available here. Its name reminds me of an old "I Love Lucy" episode in which she's doing a commercial for something called vegameatavegamin. Hilarious!

      You're absolutely right, you smartie. Early man probably did copy the animals he saw eating some of those products.

      Delete
  3. Okay, I've watched the video which warmed my old heart quite a bit, but it says 3% of Americans are homeless which seems like a very low number to me. I thought there'd be more. Here in our own lucky country I see homeless people everywhere, sleeping on the streets. I don't know the statistics, but I'm sure it's more than 3%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've read about homelessness, it isn't defined the same in all countries. Here, a person who is living in a temporary shelter would NOT be classified as homeless, but in your country, merely having a roof over one's head isn't sufficient to eliminate the homeless label. It requires a number of other things that one typically associates with "home." (You probably know a lot more about that than I do.)

      Delete
  4. After reading this I think I will skip breakfast for today....My daughter needed hours to eat a few peas and bits of carrots, but could swallow a glass of Nutella (ugh!) in seconds. I grew up with Marmite, so quite like it, but haven't had it for years, although it is very healthy....Have a great weekended, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I know what ya mean. Our daughter had some strange eating preferences when she was a young girl, too. Now? She'll eat just about anything.

      You have a super weekend, too. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  5. I've eaten chocolate covered bumblebees & they were like a Nestle's Crunch bar. The video made me cry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trust they removed the stingers...?

      That video makes me cry, too, but it's a really feel-good kinda cry.

      Delete
  6. So true, rejection from one doesn't mean you'll get it from another. Blah to the octopus. Blah to just all of those. I think I'd rather starve. Bugs I suppose I could fore myself if needed, but never a live octopus or turtles. Or monkey toes. Blah. And never ever cow balls like some Americans eat, blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I can imagine you going, "BLAH!" while reading this post. :)

      Delete
  7. Greetings Susan. I'm very surprised what people eat around the world, you've certainly done your homework. A well-written piece that I enjoyed reading. I love marmite, and have a large jar in my cupboard now! It's also nice with beef. I wouldn't fancy eating what your hubby eats! I've never had veal, and don't fancy eating it either! I think the weirdest thing I've eaten is shark fin soup. Blessings to you. Love love, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Andrew. It's good to hear from you again!

      Yes, we people eat some strange things. Shark fin soup, huh? I've never eaten that, so you're one up on me!

      Blessings back atcha.

      Delete
  8. I admit to not being an adventurous eater. I did not like shrimp for a long time, now, it's quite tasty. Prob. the weirdest thing I ate (to me) was horse lunchmeat -this was in Sweden when I spent a summer with a family. They didn't tell me what it was until I tasted it. (it was salty)
    Have a good weekend - nothing weird to eat here. Must finish all Halloween candy - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, to a large degree, our upbringing determines how adventurous we are when it comes to trying new foods. Plus, I suppose our palate changes over the years. (I gag when I think of all the enormous wads of bubble gum I used to chew...) Hmmm, I wonder if you would've tried that lunchmeat if you'd known ahead of time what it was...

      You have a super weekend, too. Our plans call for slow-cooked Cajun chicken and a bit pot of seafood chowder, so nothing weird here, either. :) And we have a lot less leftover Halloween candy this year... thank goodness!

      Delete
  9. Truly there is no accounting for taste. There are plenty of choices when it comes to food, But not being very adventurous, I tend to stay away from things that sound creepy and stick with the tried and true. What's good for one is not always good for another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes down to it, my taste preferences generally fall into a "comfort food" category. Trying something new is okay, but there's nothing better than mashed potatoes and gravy...

      Delete
  10. Argh! I was concerned for a bit I wouldn't be able to make it all the way through this list. That Marmite looks suspiciously like the WORST thing I've ever (tried to) consume … Vegemite, from friends in the "Land Down Under." Ya, my curiosity like to kill the cat.

    I really expected to make it through this video without weeping. Nope. In fact, it's going on my FB page today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Vegemite tastes anything like Marmite, I'd have to agree with you.

      I would've been VERY surprised if you made it all the way through that video without springing a leak. But it's such a feel-good cry. :)

      Delete
  11. Just reading about the "different" foods from around the world made me queasy. I think that if you were brought up in a culture that those meals were served, you wouldn't think anything about it. However, I wasn't. The most unique and worst meal that I ever had was a dish my mother made called Columbus Casserole. It had liver in it and probably to this day, was the worst thing I have ever eaten. She made us eat it because poor people in Russia were starving back then. The memory of its awfulness has stayed with me for 60 years. The only thing that comes close was a Brussels Sprouts dish I made about five years ago for Thanksgiving. My family has not forgotten that one either.

    That was a beautiful video. The kindness of people always lifts me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was growing up, I was shamed into eating some really yukky meals by being reminded of the poor starving Armenians. I once muttered something along the lines of, "So let them eat this." Needless to say, I never said THAT again!

      I'm glad you liked the video. It lifted me up, too.

      Delete
  12. I loved this! I lived in Europe for a long time--love me some tete de veau (fancy French head cheese), blutwurst (blood sausage), boudin noir (mushy blood sausage served atop caramelized apples and onions), and all manner of pate. What's in it? Don't ask.
    And I love the way you tie this in to negative reviews. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, aren't YOU the adventurous eater?! I think that's cool. I think we're better off not knowing what's in a lot of the things we eat. Pate's one of 'em.

      Thanks! I'm glad ya liked it.

      Delete
  13. Working in a busy acute psych unit, I encounter peeps from different cultures a lot, friend Sue … attitudes, accents, heritage and mental illness mixed together is very very difficult … Sometimes I come home from night shift, and I cry and my cat Theo is licking ma tears … but the next night I get up again to work another and tell him: Gotta make some money for us, baby … I know this sounds cruel … but I am not young and idealistic anymore … Especially after my last experience with a homeless person eating food scraps out of garbage cans … I offered him a sandwich … and he started screaming at me: I do not need your help. Get away from me, Satan. I knew then and there that he was high on drugs and very hungry and very delusional. … Anyway … snow here … U? Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a far cry from young, but to a very large extent, I'm still idealistic. While volunteering at a soup kitchen, I had a couple scary experiences with homeless people, too, but I also had hundreds of good ones. We can't let the bad experiences discourage us from trying.

      My heart goes out to you for working in the psych unit. It takes a very special person to do that. The lab I worked in at the hospital was under the psych department, so I sometimes visited the wards. Tough work.

      No snow here! It's raining today, but it's still quite warm.

      Have a wonderful weekend, dear cat.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and let me present to you some of my most delicious food memories … as you might know I grew up travelling … Much of the food we had, was … "borrowed" from nearby farms … a chicken here and a piglet there, some 'taters here and some corn there, some fresh milk from cow here and not so nice earth clumps thrown by farmer Joe … ouch, smiles … and much was in plain sight right there … like road kill … deer and hedgehog especially and the occasional wild boar, minced to perfection add onions, egg, salt and pepper and eat raw … smiles … cuz when you hungry u will just about eat anything ... so good, so good … smiles … The only food I will not eat and would rather die is cat and dog and boiled chicken still in egg … I love my new Asian neighbours and their sweet 2 lil young kids Margret and Lucy … Ya, no, never, please, don't make me hate you, Mr C and family … Anyway, much love, cat.

      Delete
    3. Yes, true. True hunger makes us more grateful for whatever we can find to eat, and no matter what it is, it tastes delicious. Same for thirst. My husband says he drank water when he was in Vietnam that he wouldn't have even wanted to step in. But you do what you have to do to survive.

      No, I couldn't eat cat or dog, either. That would feel too much like cannibalism, because our cats and dogs have always been members of the family.

      Much love back atcha.

      Delete
  14. My folks retired to live on a creek of the Tred Avon near Oxford. Used to have lots of oysters, I would only eat them steamed like clams. Saw plenty of terrapins though i think the crab traps are killing them off, I would never eat them, not sure why, just too cute I guess. In general I am a picky eater, but my family was from the Philly area so scrapple was a breakfast staple, with or without ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, but as much as I like steamed clams, I never much cared for oysters prepared that way. Scrapple? My grandmother prepared it from time to time, but I was never a huge fan. Not that it mattered. We ate whatever was put on our plates, like it or not.

      Delete
  15. Colour me crazy but I happen to like head cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, you can color my husband crazy, too. He likes it, but he hasn't eaten it in a lot of years. He liked it in vinegar with sliced onions.

      Delete
  16. Hi Susan - I'd hoped to learn how to make head cheese ... but sadly (very sadly) the lady died very suddenly and way too young.

    After that ... I've eaten most things and tried most things ... for some reason I never dared tripe - even though it was cooked by someone who was excellent war-time wife ... I know I think about those early eaters ... watching the birds eat and seeing what the poor human could learn as they developed their palate - before fire ... that helps for oysters ...

    I did try and get my parents to eat worms from the manure heap - I believe they weren't too happy, and I incubated an ant's nest with my tiny bot-tome: as a tot ... I've lived on ... and I love marmite!!

    Well on that note - perhaps I should have some supper ... loved the video - wonderful to know there are exceptionally kind, generous and thoughtful people out there ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brussels - love them ... but I'm not growing them just yet! H

      Delete
    2. Hi-ya, Hilary. it isn't too late to learn how to make head cheese if that's something you really want to do. Did you check out the video about it on this post? There are some other tutorials about in online, too. All ya have to do is find a good pig head to start out with...

      Worms from the manure heap, huh? Maybe they would've been more willing if you'd left out the part about the manure. :)

      HA! I'm glad to hear you haven't started sprouting Brussels on you head just yet. (It's be much more difficult to get a hat to fit properly!)

      That video provides a lift we could all use. Cheers back atcha. Have a super weekend.

      Delete
  17. Haggis? Never! But I have lived where I plucked the headless remains of my pet chickens to have a meal at the end of the month. Happily, childhood ended and I never had to do that again (nor did my kids). Video is inspiring. Thanks Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried haggis once when I was a young girl. The whole house stank to high heaven while my grandmother was cooking it, so I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about trying it, but not trying it wasn't an option. Once was enough.

      I never had pet chickens, but for us, it was our pet rabbits that made it to our dinner table. My brother and I weren't happy campers.

      You're welcome, dude. We can all use a bit of inspiration.

      Delete
  18. Yea, I can attest to the fact that Hungarians are blood-thirsty. Not only pig's blood in scrambled eggs, but blood sausage, blood wine.....There's no doubt that vampires lurk somewhere in my ancestry.

    My father (Hungarian, of course) mentioned that his relatives used to make head cheese when he was a child. And dear old Dad really loved pickled pig's feet. He ate them frequently. I never could get past those hideous bristles that were always sticking out of the pickled pig's feet.

    Octopus? Just looking at them freaks me out. The thought of eating one is beyond horrifying.
    And the thought of eating them raw....and alive....is.....

    .....please excuse me while I faint.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, by the way - I have tried eating rattlesnake.
      My honest opinion?
      NEVER again! And don't believe anyone who says it tastes like chicken.

      Delete
    2. I've never eaten anything made with blood by choice. As a young girl, the eggs from my grandfather's poultry farm that had blood clots in them, making them unfit to sell, ended up in our fridge. I dunno why that grossed me out any more than the concept of eating something that was shot out of a chicken's derriere in the first place, but it did. On the other hand, I like my steaks reeeeally rare, so go figure.

      I don't know what kind of snake it was that my grandmother served me, but it DID taste like chicken. Just a different consistency.

      Delete
  19. Over here the advertising slogan is: Marmite - you either love it or hate it.
    Have you heard of these UK delicacies? Tripe (cow's stomach), black pudding (pig's blood + fat), pork scratchings (crunchy pork rind eaten cold), pig's trotters (pig's feet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of all those delicacies, but I haven't tried tripe or black pudding. It isn't likely that I ever will, either. I LOVE pork rinds, though. My hubby's the pig feet-eater, but I don't hate them.

      Delete
  20. I have eaten many of the foods you have mentioned. Really liked most of them. When your a child in a Polish home you eat what is before you and I liked it. Especially if your grandparents escaped war your food was not wasted. You ate all the pig or cow.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't grow up in a Polish home, but believe me, I had to eat whatever was put on my plate, too. But I didn't always like it. (Too bad!) It beat going hungry.

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  21. In the UK we often describe something as having a 'Marmite' quality. That is to say you love it or hate it; it polarises opinion. I have never tasted it and have not eaten meat for forty years! (I do eat fish and poultry).
    I was expecting you to cite the chocolate ants so popular in Nigeria! Apparently, with the continued growth in world population, insects will be providing our greatest source of protein before long!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s novaturient Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm surprised you've never tasted Marmite. I kinda thought most kids in the UK got it from the time they were weaned. :)

      I did mention chocolate covered ants a little bit. I mentioned that I ate them once as a child. (Crunchy!) My head knows insects are a good source of protein and a lot of people eat them in other parts of the world, but I think I'd rather eat a salad...

      Delete
  22. I just love the Brussels sprouts cartoon :)

    I for one love Marmite :)
    There are so many different food delicacies around the world.

    Have a great November

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots and lots of delicacies. It's fascinating to me how differently people around the world define that. :)

      You have a great November, too. All the best back atcha.

      Delete
  23. Oh my! Such horrendous and scary food. How can people eat all these, I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I guess the strangest thing I've eaten is frog legs, which also tasted like chicken to me. I don't know that I'll ever eat them again or not, but I did try them years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Believe it or not, I prepare frog legs fairly often. And we LOVE them! :)

      Delete
  25. My father slaughtered the pigs we raised on our farm and he would make things like head cheese and blood sausage. We kids (all five of us) weren't fans, but we had to eat it because there were children starving in Biafra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think parents all over the world used the "starving kids in fill-in-the-blank" line to force us to eat stuff we didn't want to eat.

      Delete