Friday, January 18, 2019

More Wonders of the World

Thought for the day:  Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth. [Martin H. Fischer]




There is sooooo much to see in this wonderful world of ours, and just because we may never see any of these things in person is no reason for us to forego the appropriate oohing and aahing over their existence.






Snowed in? That's no excuse. Got cabin fever... and hiding from the excess heat in your area? That's no excuse, either. We can still explore. 

Vicariously.



 I've never seen one of these in person, but ever since I was a child, I've marveled at photos of giant sequoia trees that were sooooo enormous, tunnels were actually cut through them. The most famous of these trees was the Wawona tree, which was carved out in the late 1800s and felled by a storm in 1969, at the ripe old age of more than two thousand. In 2017, the Pioneer Cabin tree, 1000 years old and carved more than 100 years ago, also succumbed to a big storm. Ordinarily, these trees can be expected to live as much as 3000 years, so it makes me wonder... were their demises hastened by man's ill-conceived cutting through their trunks? Thank goodness, the practice of tunneling through the trunks of these majestic trees for our convenience is no longer practiced or condoned by the Forestry Service. [The remains of other sequoia tree tunnels are either dead or lying on the ground as ancient logs, but there are still several active redwood tree tunnels in existence, all operated by private companies.]

What's a tree's least favorite month? Sep-timberrrr, of course.

What did the tree wear to the pool party? That's an easy one. Swim trunks!


If you're not impressed by the heights nature can reach with the giant sequoia trees, how about some of the stuff man has built?

Like a carousel. As in the Guinness record book's tallest chained carousel in the world, which spins 383 feet (117 m) above Vienna, Austria.

Um, not for me. Thanks to some of the smart-ass comments made by Smarticus, whenever I see rides like this, I can't help but wonder if it was built by the lowest bidder. Besides, I'm more akin to that cat who got dizzy from just spinning in a chair. However, for the more adventurous of you, here's a peek at that carousel:


Dubai was already famous for its stunning architectural feats... like an indoor snow-skiing place right there in the middle of the desert... but the new Crescent Moon Tower, completed last year, is bound to become the United Arab Emirates' most recognizable iconic image yet. Thirty-three floors tall, the building contains a library, conference facility, a restaurants, cafes, and an observation deck. What a unique place for gazing at the sky! I wonder what it'd be like to observe the real moon or a sunrise from that deck...

What do you call a rooster that crows every morning as the sun comes up? An alarm cluck.

[image courtesy of wikipedia]
 The border between Belgium and the Netherlands is 281 miles (450 km) long, and there are no border controls... no tall fences topped with concertina wire... and no so-called big beautiful walls between these two countries. In fact, as shown in the image, one part of the border goes right through a cafe in Baarle! I wonder if you could order your meal in one country, go to the restroom in another, and then be back at the first country before your meal is served. Kinda cool, huh?

Being a bigger fan of bridges than walls, this concept really captured my imagination. And respect. I reckon you could say it's... enlightening...

What did one lightning bug say to another? Oops! Sorry...  gotta glow!

[image: AVAX news]


This amazing structure is the Wat Samphran Temple in Thailand. This 17-story cylindrical Buddhist temple might remind you of a shorter version of the Tower of Babel, except for one thing. One very big thing. The giant dragon sculpture that surrounds it.

WOW, huh? Dontcha kinda wonder what prompted this unusual architectural feature...?





Wanta get away from the maddening crowds? Enjoy a quiet meal of reeeeally fresh seafood while surrounded by the clear azure waters of the Indian Ocean? Then... talk about a getaway!... Zanzibar's Rock Restaurant could be just the place for you. This cozy eating place is literally located on a large rock, which is delightfully isolated and surrounded by water during high tide. But if you're interested, better make reservations. They only have twelve tables, so seating is limited! (I wonder if they serve chicken nuggets...HA!)


How do we know the ocean is friendly? It always waves.

What does a cloud wear under its clothes? Thunderwear!

[image: Sandra Critelli]

I dunno why, but the migration of animals has always fascinated me. In the past, I've posted about the migrations of tortoises (a very sloooooow migration, needless to say) and the migration of some adorable little red crabs. This time, golden stingrays are in the spotlight. These graceful creatures, which can be as much as seven feet wide, engage in a mass migration through the Gulf of Mexico two times a year... heading north in late spring, and back to the south in late autumn. Gee, I wonder what it'd be like to see them while... snorkeling??? Hey! No need to wonder... just look-ie here:


What's a great white shark's favorite game to play? Swallow the Leader.

[image courtesy of wikipedia]
The Banpo Bridge in South Korea is more than just a bridge. It's the world's largest fountain bridge. This moonlight rainbow fountain contains 10,000 LED nozzles and squirts 190 tons of water per minute. It contains thirty-eight water pumps and 380 nozzles per side. As you can see in this photo, people gather every evening to admire the show. With all of that water splashing, I wonder if there's a bunch of port-a-potties nearby...

Wanta glimpse at what they're seeing...?



[image: Nan Palmero]

Humans can be such blockheads. I mean, what were they thinking cutting those tunnels through those gorgeous trees...?

Anyhow, this sculpture by Czech artist David Cerny shows man's more hard-headed side. Entitled Metalmorphosis, its forty layers of polished stainless steel can rotate individually to create a wide array of possible images. (I wonder if that's meant to illustrate how messed up we can be, maybe?) Most of this sculptor's works are a bit more controversial, and have gotten him in a bit of hot water from time to time, but this one sits serenely in a cool reflective pool at the Whitehall Corporate Center in Charlotte, North Carolina.


The last item for your consideration is a sculpture by French artist Bruno Catalano. He did a series of similar sculptures for a celebration in the city of Marseilles, and each one is as unique as this one. Ever feel like something's missing, or you aren't all there? Well, Catalano's people aren't all there. Some of the sculptures seem to defy gravity, and each one is thought-provoking. (Yep, they make ya wonder.) To see more of his work, check out his website at brunocatalano.com





Well, folks, that's about it. But first... What did one volcano say to another? I lava you.

And I lava doing these kinds of posts. I hope you enjoyed it.

Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.
[Oops! Sorry'bout that... this post was all ready and poised to go live at 12:34 AM, as usual, but some bonehead... no need to point fingers... failed to hit that pesky "publish" button...]







56 comments:

  1. There are some incredible things in this world, all waiting for us to explore. Some of the amazing places my brother's family went to when they lived in China would blow people's minds - and yet no one outside of the country knows about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame, really. We too often limit ourselves and our understanding of the world by our own little corner of it.

      "May I never be so blind that all I see is my own small world, nor so self-satisfied that all I am is all I ever hope to be." A Sunday school teacher wrote that on the blackboard many years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

      Delete
  2. So true, there is so much to see, learn, enjoy and experience. Both my dog and cat loved being spun round on my office chair! Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that your pets like to be spun in your chair. (It's probably even funnier to see how they walk when their "ride" is over...)

      Yes, lots to see, and thanks to your blog, I get to see a part of Germany I wouldn't otherwise get to experience. :)

      You have a wonderful weekend, too. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  3. PS: Your main picture has inspired a new post from me. Coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an agnostic but standing in the redwoods, I think I felt the presence of God!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine! You've done sooooo many exciting things...

      Delete
  5. Fascinating images! Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've covered a lot of territory in this post, Susan - but it's really fascinating territory.

    I've seen the northern California redwoods and they definitely have the ability to leave one completely awestruck. And I've always wondered how they manage to survive with those annoying tunnels that were cut through them (I think it's now illegal to do that).

    Since I have a notorious fear of heights, I almost had a panic attack watching the prater turm video...

    The Crescent Moon Tower in Dubai is fantastic - I really love it (probably has something to do with my being a night owl). I also like the Dragon Temple in Thailand.

    That blockhead sculpture is interesting - but, heck, there are already enough blockheads around.
    The Bruno Catalano sculpture is better. It reminds me of the fact that I'm not all here half the time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is illegal to tunnel through those trees now, and even though it galls me that it was ever done in the first place, I've always loved to imagine the possibility of standing inside of one of those amazing trees. The word "awesome" is overused, but I think it's appropriate when talking about those trees.

      I had a feeling you might like that Crescent Moon Tower. :)

      You're all there, cowboy, and dontcha forget it.

      Delete
  7. Awe and wonder.
    I am so grateful for the internet. It has simultaneously expanded my horizons and brought the whole world closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Just about anyplace I'd like to visit or any marvel I'd like to see is available online, and usually showcased in a video, to boot!

      Delete
  8. Well if the power goes out you might be a bit screwed with the exploring. And you may be a bit screwed stuck way up there on the lowest bidder spinner haha

    Sure so much we don't know about and lots to see. The dragon one sure is something to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! If the power goes out, I've got a flashlight... and lots of great books to explore. :)

      Delete
  9. This is why I love traveling so much -- there is so much to see. Thanks for sharing!

    www.ficklemillennial.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's an endless number of things to see in the world, and I hope you get to see as many of them as you want to see. Happy travels!

      Delete
  10. Since my travelling days are pretty much over, I love seeing the world on my computer! First, I'm SO glad not to be the only one saddened by was done to the sequoias. Admittedly, I'm creeped out by that Thai tower … but I'd love to visit Dubai's crescent moon. (Wanna come along?) On my way to check out Catalano's webpage. Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to "see" the world on the computer, too... as well as "meeting" new friends.

      Sure! Dubai is lovely this time of year... :)

      You have a super weekend, too!

      Delete
  11. those sculptures blow me away. Indeed, there's so much to see and do - I need a billion dollars to go everywhere, plus vacation time. Oh well, reality - this weekend I head to Philly to see Dad and that will be fun - just sitting at the kitchen table and laughing.

    Very fun post. Stay warm and enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a billion dollars, but I've got a computer. It can "take me away" better than Calgon ever could. :)

      Have fun in Philly. YOU stay warm... you're the one heading into snow country. The temperatures are still pretty moderate here.

      Delete
  12. So many amazing things in this world of ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure. I reckon we're gonna have to hang around a little longer to have a chance to see some of them. :)

      Delete
  13. Lots of amazing sights! I love the crescent moon building. And it's worth remembering that most countries in the world are not walled off from each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know most countries don't build walls. I'm still hopeful that ours won't, either. We shall see...

      Delete
  14. If we just slow down a minute, there is fascination all around us. Even watching a bug work is rather amazing. I would love to see it all in person, but I'm satisfied to read about it. If only I could read about it on some sunny beach... :)


    That doggone publishing button! It's an elusive little critter sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile. Nice to know I'm not the only gal who likes to watch bugs do their thing. When I was a little girl, I sometimes dug a small hole, put a bug in it and covered the hole with glass so I could watch it. (Yeah, I know. Weird.)

      Oh, yeah. EVERYTHING goes better with a sunny beach. :)

      Delete
  15. Pretty amazing to see the golden stingrays flapping their fins? like bird wings. I'm also wondering now if those trees were compromised by having tunnels cut through them. Of course at the time the tunnels were cut, no one would have thought they were causing future damage. I love (lava) giant trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Aren't those stingrays amazing to watch?! There's a bunch of them at the aquarium in Atlanta, and when viewed from below, it looks like they're smiling.

      It sure seems like tunneling through those trees must've caused them some damage. I lava them, too.

      Delete
  16. Greetings Susan. I used to travel a lot many years ago when my Children were growing up, and saw a lot of Wales as I had a speed-boat. My Kids loved water-sports. A great post to read, with some funny jokes. I liked all of the buildings you've shown, and I can't imagine what prompted the expense of building a dragon around a tall building? I loved the large Redwoods, and what an age to live - 3000 years! Blessings. Love love, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Andrew. It sounds like you have some terrific memories. For me, just about anything that includes water and boats makes for a good experience.

      Blessings back atcha.

      Delete
  17. You have shown us so many fascinating things here, Susan, and as always, sprinkled it with humor. I have seen the Sequoias and Rewoods and their beauty and size can take your breath away. There is a tree in Henry Cowell State Park in Santa Cruz, CA that is hollowed out on the bottom (due to fire) where the explorer, John Fremont, once camped with his men. We have taken many pictures of family and ourselves inside. The tree stands tall and beautiful and, hopefully, has hundreds of years still left in its very long life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! They must be some fantastic pictures! Just seeing photos of those trees nearly takes my breath away, so I can only imagine what it must be like to see them in person. Good to know that tree in Santa Cruz is still standing, in spite of the fire. Maybe those tunnels didn't essentially kill those other trees, after all.

      Delete
  18. https://www.youtube.com/embed/r-CT7sSWWuc?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0 … Grew up in Christiania … just sayin, friend Sue … Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! What an amazing place. Thanks for sharing it with me. :)

      Delete
  19. yes, stunning architectural in Dubai.
    have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! It's amazing.

      Thanks! Our weekend was terrific; I hope yours was, too. Now let's concentrate on having a great week, too. :)

      Delete
  20. You always crack me up! Love the jokes! I watched the video of the flying swings and was catapulted back to childhood when the carnival came to town. I loved that ride, but I don't think I could do it that high in the air. Thanks for making my Monday start with humor...and education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it. (Sometimes, I crack me up, too. HA!)

      You're made of stronger stuff than I am. That ride wouldn't appeal to me even if it were only six inches off the ground. All that spinning would do me in.

      Delete
  21. Great post! Thanks for all the smiles throughout. The world is indeed full of wonders, both natural and man-made. I'd love to see those giant trees someday. And if I don't, I'm glad I've been able to visit them vicariously through the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm with you. I'd love to see those trees in person, but I'm grateful the Internet provides us a gateway to them and other wonders.

      Delete
  22. The crescent moon tower is stunning. I explore the world by reading, doing research, and looking at photography. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I explore, too. It's a lot cheaper than airfare. :)

      Delete
  23. Oooh. That Crescent Moon Tower is gorgeous! In awe of Catalano's sculptures, too...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool stuff. I also prefer bridges to walls :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was a very enjoyable post! What a nice virtual trip around the world seeing some cool and weird stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And we didn't even to change out of our slippers to take this trip!

      Delete
  26. Where do you come across this stuff? Yeah, rhetorical question. I know the net. But wow, so amazing. That moon, the dragon, that statue! So many wonders. And only 12 tables, that's one expensive place to eat, but I'll go for the chicken nuggets too! LOL Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOO! Blasphemy! You can't get chicken in a seafood joint!!!

      Reminds me of one of our Myrtle Beach vacations. We let each of our kids bring a friend, and one of those friend turned his nose up at seafood. We'd go to these amazing seafood buffets, and all he's eat was chicken finger, french fries, and corn. (sigh)

      Delete