Friday, March 29, 2019

Careful What You Wish For

Thought for the day:  Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out? [Oliver James]

Have you ever felt like you didn't quite belong? Like you were on the outside looking in?

Meet Cowboy. He belongs to a neighbor, but I think he wishes he were our cat. Most mornings, when I open our front door, he's right there, waiting for me. He immediately sits up and peers in at me. (Or at least, he looks in my general direction... as cross-eyed as he is, it's kinda hard to tell.) He looks pitiful, and dare I say ... hopeful?

Matter of fact, he spends a good bit of time lying or sitting on our front porch. Looking in. Looking pitiful. Or in our back yard, following us around or gazing into the house from out there. He could be running around the neighborhood, doing whatever it is outside cats are supposed do all day, but instead, he bides his time ... wastes his time ... looking in our windows. Wishing he were inside. Hoping his luck will change.

If wishes were horses, all beggars would ride; it wishes were fishes, we'd all have some fried.

He isn't our cat, but I guess you could say he's our collateral pet, just like the other critters who come to our place for a handout and a scratch behind the ear. We don't mind him hanging around, but there's something heart-breaking about the sight of him looking in our window so often.

His expression looks so ...  familiar ...

I'm pretty sure I know how he feels. I've been excluded a time or two.

And I've seen people with that same wistful expression, people who bide their time ... waste their time ... pining to be someone or somewhere they aren't. Essentially, they're wasting their lives on wishes for fishes instead of eating what they have right in front of them, or reaching for the doggone fishing rod. Rather than enjoying what IS, they waste their time wishing for what isn't.



Sometimes Cowboy and Dot look at each other through the window.


Sometimes he and Dash watch each other.

Cowboy wants to come inside so badly. He wishes it were so. We can see it in his face when he stares in the front door. We can see it in his face when he stares in our back sliding glass doors. We can see it when he tries to slip inside when we open the door, and when he rolls on the ground in front of us, doing his tricks and trying so very hard to please.

He wants to be part of the... in crowd.


                                                                     Ironically,

                                                  when we're on the OUTSIDE, we want IN.


                                     

                                             And when we're on the INSIDE, we want OUT.




Is happiness always just on the other side of a proverbial closed door? When we're different from everybody else, we wanta be the same, and when we're too much like everybody else, we yearn to be different. Ya know what? Inside yourself or outside, you never have to change what you see, only the way you see it.  [Thaddeus Golas]  We yam what we yam. And we yam pretty damned good.

Okay, so maybe you never felt like part of the in crowd. Big deal!

So what? Be a standout.

Outside may very well be the new in place. There's lots of us out  here.


 I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence, but it comes from within. It is there all the time.  [Anna Freud]

So by all means, chase your dreams. Never give up on the possibilities. May we never be so blind that all we see is our own small world, nor so self-satisfied that all we are is all we ever hope to be. Keep striving. But... don't waste too much time making fruitless wishes.

Cowboy may wish to come in, but I have a feeling he wouldn't like the reality of this mean old lady trimming his nails every couple weeks. And no matter how much he begged, we'd never provide him with live birds or mice to supplement his diet, either.

                                   And you guys? Always, always be careful what you wish for...








Well, ladies and gentlemen, it's time for this old gal to take her annual leave of absence. I'll be vacating the blogosphere and focusing on some other things for the next month... like working on my current book, doing some dreaded spring cleaning, and editing a very talented writer's most recent book.  I'll seeya in May. I wish... you all the best. 

But, first... I couldn't resist.

 Even though I won't be here for next Wednesday's IWSG post, the May question kinda goes along with this wishful thinking post:

If you could use a wish to help you write just one scene/ chapter of your book, which one would it be?  

 See what I mean? That question was like made to accompany this post. My answer? If I'm gonna wish, I might as well wish big. (Insert deep breath here.) The ultimate wish fulfillment would be to write a scene... any scene... that would so capture the imagination and respect of readers, they'd tell all of their friends, You've gotta read this book!"

Yeah, that'd be cool, but in the meantime, I'm not holding my breath. If you haven't read either of my novels yet, here's a heads up: next week, Amazon will have both e-books on sale for the paltry sum of ninety-nine cents in both the U.S. and the U.K. Don't have a Kindle? No biggie. I hear Amazon has a FREE app that'll allow you to read e-books. (A left click on the book covers in the sidebar will deliver you directly to Amazon U.S.)

                         
                               Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.
















71 comments:

  1. Ah yes, all the wishes....I'm happy to be someone who can stand alone and I enjoy always doing my own thing. Love the cat who always looks in! Have a good break, enjoy! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who enjoys her own company is never alone. :)

      Thanks. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  2. I'd probably wish for a great title and back cover blurb to make people want to buy my book. The one I haven't written yet...
    I was never part of the 'in' crowd and it didn't bother me one bit, I preferred doing without all the catty backstabbing bitchiness.
    I do waste a lot of time on wishes though, wishing I could afford to live closer to the ocean.
    I think Cowboy just wants another cat to play with, to curl up in the sun with. He looks lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty darned good wish. Writing a great blurb is difficult, and it can be as much of a challenge as writing the book. And despite that old saying about never judging a book by its cover... most of us do. Ya can't entice someone to read your book if the cover doesn't first draw them in. Or if you don't WRITE it...now get to writing, lady! The cover and blurb can wait!

      Yeah, Cowboy does look lonely, but he certainly seems comfortable hanging around our place. When my hubby is working in the garage, Cowboy usually ambles in to join him. When his owner keeps him in the house, which he does every once in a while, Smarticus and I both miss seeing him. I think our cats do, too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan - poor cowboy - he does look sad and forlorn. He needs a project ... perhaps writing a book?! I too am always on the edge - and am happy there ... I don't look in ... I toddle along! Good luck with the Spring cleaning, the editing, writing et al - and have some fun and see you in May - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. Oh, Cowboy does have projects. Just yesterday, he delivered a dead mouse to our welcome mat. :)

      Toddling along is a great way to go through life.

      Thanks. See you in May! Cheers!

      Delete
  4. haha yep, wording is key. Old man to old woman wouldn't be a thrill.

    Poor guy does look sad and wanting in, but yeah, once in he would probably want out. Never fun. Oh, I'm dealing with that crowd crap at work. Pfft not happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, old man to old woman would be quite a shocker. Old men are generally considered distinguished-looking. The bar for women is somewhat higher. We just look "old." HA!

      You're right about Cowboy. On the rare occasions his owner tries to keep him inside, he gets no peace until he lets him out again. You're right about the crowd crap, too. But you already knew that.

      Delete
  5. Poor Cowboy. Let him in, just once, and see what happens.
    I'll definitely be specific in what I wish for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been very tempted to let him in... and keep him... but we'll pass. I'm sure he has fleas.

      Delete
  6. we were on the outside of some awesome looking tailgate parties yesterday at the Ranger opener. But alas, we weren't let in or offered a beer. Oh well.
    Happy April - read, write, go to a museum!!
    See ya on the other side in May. Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Your experience with the "greedy" tailgaters reminds me of walking through a local park when all the grills are going full-tilt boogie. Everything smells soooooo good, but all the people ever offer us is a smile. (And we give it right back to them!)

      Happy April to you, too! I'll be back before ya know it.

      Delete
    2. before the wall goes up.........Si yea!!!

      Delete
  7. All though I do still have dreams and wishes, I have learned to be content and happy with what I have. Surprises are always around the corner and we never know what may happen, but we cannot waste the happiness of today, by dreaming our life away. Cute post with the cats. They are amazing creatures and proved your point well.
    Love and hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%. I learned a long time ago that wishing doesn't make it so, so I'm more than happy to take life as it comes.

      Love and hugs back atcha. Take care.

      Delete
  8. Needed this post today, Susan, thanks.

    I love the Golas quote and that cartoon about the coin. That feels like the kind of thing that would happen to me. Sigh.

    I'm not a big cat person, but even I want to cuddle Cowboy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm glad the post resonated with you. :)

      Cowboy does look like he needs a good hug, doesn't he? But alas, he isn't too keen on them. He prefers to be in charge. He likes to rub himself on our legs, but we have to be very careful about petting him. His claws are verrrrry sharp.

      Delete
  9. Aw, poor Cowboy. He does have a sad and wistful face. It's a shame your neighbors don't allow him inside their house and take better care of him. When I was much younger, I'd tell my Dad about things I'd wish for or something I'd wish would happen. My Dad would wisely say, "You're wishing your life away." He felt it was better to be content with life and live it each moment as it came. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His owner does let him into the house from time to time, but he told us Cowboy HATES being in the house. Whatever.

      Your dad's a wise man.:)

      Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. There are plenty of "playmates" running around the neighborhood. He mostly kicks their butts. (or tries)

      Delete
  11. So, it seems the human condition is also the feline condition. Enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods....they have not forgotten this.
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s powerfully pervasive Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ab-so-doggone-lutely! I know OUR cats haven't forgotten.

      Delete
  13. My heart hurts a bit for Cowboy! But man oh man, I can identify with trying to rearrange my looks - my personality - so as to be liked. I won't say those years were wasted, but they might have been far more enjoyable.
    Enjoy your respite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. No matter how many times I open our front door and see him waiting for me, it startles me and squeezes my heart a little.

      Those years weren't wasted. They helped you realize and appreciate who you are.

      Delete
  14. I like to read your story.... I like the cartoon about:" I wish for...."

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh My Goodness what a sad but beautiful face. I would get him a bed to nap in. and a toy.
    I want to adopt another dog but family says no no no (yes yes yes !)
    Have a great April.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He likes to nap on the chair on our front porch. :)

      HA! You have a heart as big as Texas. Yes, yes, yes!

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
    2. They are right, my health is deteriorating and a another dog would be too much but. . . .

      Delete
  16. We wish we were here and when we get here we wish we had stayed where we were...there's no pleasing us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That about sums it up. We're the same way about the weather. (But I hope it doesn't describe how you're feeling about YOUR move...)

      Delete
  17. We confine our cat interactions to granting them hunting rights on our property. Roofcat gets to sit on our roof all day as long as he is kind to to E(a)rnest Squirrel --who now has 2 relatives patrolling our fencetops. During summer, we furnish fresh water but their food is their own business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supplying critters with fresh water is more than most people do, but you also give them respect and appreciation. I don't mind providing food and water, but I'd rather they do their hunting elsewhere.

      Delete
    2. I love this comment Roofcat is a hoot !

      Delete
  18. My mother owned one cat. But she entertained a whole neighborhood of cats. She kept an upstairs window open for her cat friends to come and go as they pleased. I told her that gave a whole new meaning to crazy cat lady. She said it was completely sane...she chose an upstairs woindow only cats could climb through...how crazy was that?

    Enjoy your break! And the editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cats and dogs, but I'm not quite as "crazy" as your mom. I HATE fleas, so letting outdoor cats wander into our house whenever they please would never be a viable option for me. It's kinda cool that your mother did that, though.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  19. "If wishes were horses, all beggars would ride; it wishes were fishes, we'd all have some fried."

    Reminds me of something that the great philosopher, Archie Bunker, once said, "Birds gotta fly, fish gotta fry."

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely post again, friend Sue. Many purrs to Cowboy from Theo and myself. I have met a few cross eyed cats during my travels, and found them to gentle and trusting. Especially Princess, who lives in the park by the river with the other ferals in PV, Mexico. I featured her in my 2 Mexico posts in my travel blog. I don't think she will be there next time I visit ... Anyway, wishing you a great time off, Spring cleaning and working on your book … smiles. Here, our Winter Boot season is slowly coming to an end … hello, Rubber Boot season, and then FlipFlop Season for about 100 days … Can't wait … smiles … Much love says this Alberta cat and her cat Theo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, cat. I'm glad you liked it. Cowboy is definitely cross-eyed, but he isn't particularly gentle or trusting. He is a big cat, and verrrry very solid. (When he winds around our legs, it's a wonder he doesn't knock us on our behinds.) But once he warmed to us... well, it's like having a third cat.

      I'm glad to hear winter is finally coming to an end for you. You'll be wearing shorts and flip-flops before ya know it.

      Much love back atcha.

      Delete
  21. If you invite Cowboy in, then he'll probably want to go home after five minutes or so.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... but I'm afraid the fleas would stay much longer... :)

      Delete
  22. Ohh, I wish! If only all our wishes could turn true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be pretty cool... if we were smart enough to make wise wishes. :)

      Delete
  23. How I would like to know which wishes were wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, we can usually only judge our wisdom in hindsight. :)

      Delete
  24. We always want what we don't have and think the grass is greener on the other side. We need to be happy with what we do have a count our blessings. Great post!

    Enjoy your month off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does seem to be the way, doesn't it? (And the people on the OTHER side of the fence think OURS is greener...)

      Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Will do!

      Delete
  25. Great post. We do want and wish for what we don't have!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Have you invited Cowboy inside? Maybe he just wants to look around.

    I've always been a firm believer in "be careful what you wish for".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we've been careful not to invite him into the house. Not that we wouldn't want him in here, but we don't want his freeloading fleas to come with him.

      That's 'cause you're a smart cookie!

      Delete
  27. Great post, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. If in Central Java, one of the provinces in my country of Indonesia ..., see the happiness or sadness of another person whether it is the same as ourselves, he said ' Wang Sinawang '


    I prayed for your work book to be completed well as well as your other activities, such as editing a book, it was also successfully implemented.

    Greetings from me, Himawan Sant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wang Sinawang. How lovely. It's like an expression of empathy, then?

      Thank you, dear sir. I can use all the prayers I can get. :)

      Greetings back atcha. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  29. I though you have a new post.
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aaaawww...poor kitty. I can relate - sometimes it's so hard to be on the outside, wanting to be in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know, but Cowboy does okay for himself. We're like his second family... which means more food for him. :)

      Delete
  31. long time, I didn't see your new post....
    Hope, everything goes well with you and yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being concerned. That's very sweet of you. All is well here. I'm just taking a month-long leave of absence from blogging. I'll be back with a new post on the first of May. :)

      Delete
    2. Have a nice break from blogging.
      Happy a blessed Easter

      Delete