Friday, March 22, 2019

My Kinda Sport!

Thought for the day: You are no Vader. You are just a child in a mask. [Snoke- The Last Jedi, 2017]

If you're nerdy enough to think this cartoon is funny, you're gonna love this post. Or maybe not. Maybe all it takes is some degree of love for Star Wars. 


[image courtesy of unsplash]
I mean, how over-the-top exciting was it to see Star Wars for the first time? (Okay, so I'll admit it. It was almost as exciting the second, third, and fourth times, too...) Those high speed chases in space! The cool-looking aliens!

Oooh... the light saber fights! The way they looked, the way they sounded. Fantastic!

[image courtesy of unsplash]

And now... NOW... the French Fencing Federation has recognized light saber dueling as a competitive sport! How cool is that? Now, in addition to foils, epees, and sabers, French competitors can slash, feint and stab with cooler-than-cool LED-lit polycarbonate light saber replicas that look like they came right out of the movie. For a bit more money, would-be Jedis can even purchase light sabers with a built-in chip to emit the movie-like sound effects. Be still, my heart... (May I use a red one, please...?)

Why has this rather unusual weapon been added to the sport of fencing? To fight a real modern-day Dark Side. The lack of exercise. Wielding one of these swords requires a good bit of physical exertion, and you know... it's gotta be fun! What kid (or adult) wouldn't rather wield one of these puppies, in lieu of sitting in front of the boob tube?

I wonder if we'll ever see light saber duels at the Olympics...? (I'd watch!)

[cartoon by Jon Carter]





But let's get real. I realize that, at my age, I'm not about to swish a light saber around, no matter how cool it'd be. I'm afraid I'm more likely to use a light saber like this cartoon's aging Darth Vader... (sigh)






Oh well. Sharing the news about the light saber's new status in France gives me an excuse to share some groan-worthy puns about Star Wars. (HA! As if I needed an excuse...)


  • How do Jedi open PDF files? With Adobe Wan Kenobi, of course.
  • How did Darth Vader know what Luke got him for Christmas? Darth felt his presents.
[cartoon by Derrick Wood]

  • How does Wicket get around on Endor? Ewoks.
  • What do you call a pirate droid? Arrrrgh-2-D-2
  • Which Star Wars character worked in a restaurant? Darth Waiter.
  • What do you call an invisible droid? C-through-PO
  • Which of the movies is a baseball player's least favorite? The Umpire Strikes Back
  • What do you call 5 Siths speared with a light saber? A Sith-kabob
  • Why doesn't Yoda ever pick up the tab? He's always a little short.

  • What do you call a Sith who won't fight? A Sithy.
  • Why, oh, why, did movies 4, 5, and 6 come out before 1,2, and 3? Because in charge of directing Yoda was.


The idea of fake-fighting with a realistic light saber still sounds way too cool for me to forget about it. Let's see... I'd pretend to be Princess Leia, of course. (Fine! So if not the lovely princess, how about a frumpy but little-known dowager Queen Mia. Are you satisfied, you fantasy-killers?!) Then again, my hair isn't quite right for making those bun things, anyway... ah HA! No problem. I'll just attach a couple of bagels to the sides of my head.

 Care to join me? After our fake-fight is over... lunch will be... on me. (You bring the cream cheese.)

                         Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.



We're only young once, but with humor, we can be immature forever. [Art Gliner]

60 comments:

  1. Can you believe I didn't see any of Star Wars until after the final movie was released? now I own the whole package and watched from beginning to end one week. In all that time I never knew that Chewbacca didn't speak. I'd LOVE a light saber, I could use it in place of a glow stick during blackouts. like Leonard Hoftstader on The Big Bang Theory when he teased Sheldon Cooper about his glow stick. "Call that a glow stick? Zzzzt THAT'S a glow stick!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I like the way you think. That'd be one cool glow stick. :)

      Delete
  2. The Star Wars jokes gave me a chuckle.

    And the robot cartoon reminded me of the really nerdy joke: There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I betcha wouldn't be surprised to know that the "10 types" joke is one of my favorites. :) (Yep, a nerd down to the bones!)

      Delete
  3. I have never watched any star wars films, and don't intend to. It's not my world, sorry! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to apologize! It isn't my world, either, but sometimes it's fun to escape from this one to a place that captures my imagination. Those movies made me feel like a kid again... :)

      You have a great weekend, too. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
    2. Valerie-Jael: Sometimes the whole point of books and films is to introduce us to other worlds. Science fiction in particular examines possible futures for us. You might surprise yourself!

      Delete
  4. Apparently I'm not alone (judging by the above comment) -
    so I'll confess:

    I have never seen any Star Wars films and have no clue what it's all about (and no burning desire to know) - - despite the fact that many of my friends thought Star Wars was the best thing since the invention of toilet paper.

    A light saber would only serve to increase my anxiety. Does the light ever go out, or does it stay on forever? Would it run up my utility bill? Are battery-operated ones available?
    Can I do anything solo with a light saber.....or do I need a partner who has his (her) own light saber??

    The worries are seemingly infinite.

    I'm definitely not a Star Wars-oriented person.
    I'll read a novel by one of the Brontes and sip a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! No biggie. If the truth be told, the only reason we went to the first "Star Wars" movie was because our kids wanted to see it. As it turned out, though, we've enjoyed the wildly imaginative and highly adventurous movies as much as they have.

      So bottom line? I didn't think I was a "Star Wars" kinda person, either... but I was wrong. (That doesn't mean I wouldn't be just as happy sitting with a good book and a cuppa tea.)

      Delete
    2. @Jon; Probably battery operated and with an on/off switch.

      Delete
    3. That's a relief to know (*smile*)

      Delete
  5. Hi Susan - I'm a Luddite too ... can't get into Star Wars .. though can chuckle happily at some of the jokes ... the nerd cartoon, the new energy efficient light saber ... I'm sure if you were telling me these things I'd be giggling happily along with you ... but sadly not Star Wars oriented ... but I stuck around to comment!! Cheers and have a happy weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. Nah, I wouldn't call you a Luddite. Not being a fan of "Star Wars" doesn't mean you're anti-modern technology. Just the imaginary kind. :)

      Cheers! And you have a lovely weekend, too.

      Delete
  6. very nerdy fun today. And I don't think you're ever to old for a light saber. Go for it!
    Happy Weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno about never being too old for a light saber... depends on how heavy it is!

      Happy weekend to you, too!

      Delete
  7. I like the Star Wars jokes. I'll try and remember some for my next writers' club meeting. May The Force be with you, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I'm glad you liked 'em. May the Force be with you, too.

      Delete
  8. A real sport now? If only they were real light sabers.
    It was amazing to see the first time. Of course, if you watched the originals, especially without the new special effects Lucas added later, you'd realize they were rather cheesy and not very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly imagine YOU taking up this sport... :)

      HA! Rather cheesy and not very good? You forget. I grew up watching "Flash Gordon," where you could actually SEE the strings holding the "spaceship" up. Space shows of the fifties invented "rather cheesy and not very good." (But we loved 'em!)

      Delete
  9. Oh my, one of my son's is a true Star Wars fan and would love this sport, A lot of my grandchild do have their pretend light sabers too and he joins right in the fun of it all. May the Force be with you ! I enjoyed your post today!
    Love and hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the image of your son and his kids playing together with toy light sabers. :)

      Love and hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  10. LOL - I love the bug zapper. I think it would be fun to fight with light sabers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think they'd let us do it while dressed as Minions...? :)

      Delete
  11. Who knew? That is one competition I would watch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that last quote...I think it may be my 'guide to life' .... just ask anyone lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. True confessions … I never seen even ONE of the Star Wars films. Ya, I'd be like those clueless angels in your last cartoon. Or, take a page from that geezer in the rocker. The 'bagel buns' is brilliant; what kind of cream cheese do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never met a cream cheese I didn't like, but the chive and onion flavor is probably my favorite.

      Delete
  14. I saw Star Wars for the first time at the beach. We rewatch them at least every couple of years. There's so many of them we can now make a weekend of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've probably watched the movies more than we have. With that many sons, it's practically a requirement. :)

      Delete
  15. haha now sure I'd qualify it as a sport, but hey, golf is a sport, so it can be one too I suppose. At the time they were the big thing, watching them now though they are cheesy as can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda think fencing... with or without a light saber...(WITH, please!)... is more of a sport than golfing. Or fishing.

      NO! You wanta see "cheesy?" Watch some of the "high-tech" space shows of the 1950s! Now THAT was cheesy!

      Delete
  16. Love love love the post today. I am surprised about the French having a good time with Fencing, lightsabers are so much fun.
    Son Fenced for years. It is a tough sport. I even Fenced for a year. Wished I kept it up.
    Oldest son was in preschool and loved the Star Wars films and we got to be pulled along to enjoy all the great fun ! Good Times.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love that you loved it! :)

      Very cool that your son... and YOU... have done some fencing. Maybe he could look into fencing with a light saber... (Take pictures!!!)

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  17. Absolutely delightful, Susan. We took our eldest kids to see Star Wars and it was a theatrical breath of fresh air in the late 1970s. Of course we bought video tapes and enjoyed them even as the younger ones grew. We loved to joke about them and marvel at them. Good times indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dude! "Fresh air." Yes, that's exactly what it was. Sheer entertainment and a wonderful exciting escape. I can't recall any other movie that our family enjoyed seeing in a theater nearly as much.

      Delete
  18. I've just had a thought! There used to be a radio programme on the BBC where famous people (it doesn't take much these days) were asked to do certain things that they had never done before or had missed out on. The show was called, "I've Never Seen Star Wars"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That title's priceless! And you're right about the "famous" bar being set lower than a limbo bar these days.

      Delete
  19. I never understood why other girls liked either Luke or Hans - I still love Chewie best of all :-)
    Would love to swing a sabre!
    Need my grandchildren to catch up so I can use the Darth Waiter joke xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chewie's the best! (But I wouldn't want to groom him. Our cats are bad enough!)

      Delete
  20. ...bagels to the sides of my head... Hahaha, you made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  21. star wars is favorite almost for all.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a favorite for a lot of us, anyway. :)

      You have a super day, too.

      Delete
  22. I still remember the opening scene of Star Wars and the massive destroyer taking up the whole screen. I was in awe. I think that's when my love of scifi began :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It was absolutely AWESOME, wasn't it? I bet that that movie sparked a love for sci-fi in a lot of people.

      Delete
  23. I loved the original three (the next three, not so much). And I'm absolutely going to steal a bunch of those puns for my grandkids. (Or...steal those puns, I will.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. We were young parents when we saw SW #1. Hooked we are.

    Cannot wait to see the Saber Duels in France!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Yeah, a bunch of us, hooked we are. :)

      Me, too!!!

      Delete
  25. The bug zapper made me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete