Wednesday, May 1, 2019

A Genuine Super Power

Thought for the day:  Time's fun when you're having flies.  [Kermit the frog]

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: some kinda dastardly plot must be afoot that's making time go faster these days. Have you noticed? If you haven't, I bet you will some day. (It's only a matter of time... HA!) Since the hands on my office clock sometimes spin around fast enough to provide service as a fan, I reckon I shouldn't be surprised that a month-long blogging break would zip by faster than a Corvette on nitrous oxide. (Oh...and if you didn't happen to notice my absence, um, no need to mention it... ya know, no need to hurt my tender widdle feelings...)

So, anyhow, I'm back. I hope those of you who participated in the A-Z Challenge had a lot of fun with it, and I hope those of you who didn't participate had a fantabulous month doing whatever wonderful things you may have done, too.

Me? As planned, I did some writing ... but not nearly as much as I would've liked. Ditto for the editing job. But I did a lot of reading... that's gotta count for something, right? As for the spring cleaning I hoped to do? PBBBBT! As it turns out, I guess I didn't really give a good diddle about doing it, after all. It's possible... nay, probable... that I'm getting too darned old to be scrubbing walls and ceilings, anyway. Besides, it was a lot easier to simply switch to lower wattage light bulbs. And nerts to shampooing the carpets, too. I figure, our cats are prolific barfers, so I'm already washing portions of the rugs every day, anyway, so why should I bother hauling out the noisy machine and turning it into a big production? (Lower wattage bulbs helped with this task, as well...) But I did get the windows washed. Not much choice there. They were covered in pollen. (Have I told you about the kinda pollen we get here? Unbelievable!) And I got some other stuff done, too, but bottom line? Smarticus didn't see a need for me to go overly nuts with the cleaning products, so... I didn't. But we DID shoot a lot of pool. MUCH more fun than cleaning any day of the week.



As you can probably tell by that nifty badge on the right, I returned just in time for our monthly IWSG posts. As always, thanks to our fearless leader, Alex Cavanaugh, for founding this fine group, and
 thanks to all the other nurturing guys and gals who've helped turn it into the thriving community it is today. To join this super supportive (Better than a high-dollar bra... and no underwires!) group of writers and to see links to other participating blogs, please go HERE

Most writers just want to... write. (I know. Profound, right?) Unfortunately, even those who've signed with big publishing houses are expected to be involved in the promotions and sales of their books. (UGH!) And I think it's pretty safe to say most of us HATE that side of things.


[image courtesy of Wikipedia]
I mean, is there anything more uncomfortable than... blowing our own horns?

Heck, if I could play like Louis Armstrong, you probably wouldn't be able to shut me up, but given the heady responsibility of handling a horn properly, I'm afraid I'd be just as likely to stick it into my ear as into my mouth.

Metaphorically speaking, of course. (I KNOW you aren't supposed to stick anything smaller than your elbow into your ear...)

In other words, I HATE the idea of promoting myself or my books. So what's a writer to do... especially an indie writer... when sales are slumping? Well, I have a suggestion for you. Check out Bargainbooksy, a program offered by Written Word Media. For a reasonable fee, which is determined by your book's genre, your book will be listed in a single day's email promotion, which is sent to thousands of people who have already signed up with an interest in your genre. To be included as a bargain, you have to offer your e-book for a reduced price, and you can do this very easily in conjunction with an Amazon countdown offer. I offered both of my novels for ninety-nine cents apiece, and I sold a lot of them. Not enough to cover the cost of the promotion, BUT... and here's the cool part... the number of page views has skyrocketed, and the ripple effect is still in effect a couple of weeks after the promotion ended. If your book is in the KU programs, those page views mean money. So... I've more than made up for the amount of money I spent to set up the two promotions. Whether or not the additional sales will translate into new reviews remains to be seen, but I'm pleased enough with the results at this point to share my experience with you. There's also another program offered by WWM, which is called Freebooksy. Oddly, it costs more to register for that one, and you make NO money from sales. What you do get is a quick boost in your Amazon ratings, and possibly more book reviews, because lots more people receive those daily emails about free books than the reduced-price ones. (I get both!)

Okay, let's take a gander at this month's question, shall we?

What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?

A smart-ass response would be that I've always known... seeing's as how I like to say I was born with a book in one hand and a flashlight in the other. (It's dark in there!) But in reality, some of my earliest memories are of how terribly destructive words can be.

Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity. We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement or destructively using words of despair. Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate, and to humble. [Yehuda Berg]

Unfortunately, my father was an evil genius when it came to using words in a negative way. My brother would probably disagree and say the belt hurt a lot more than the words... but to my mother and me, his words were devastating.

Fortunately, there were many other people... relatives, friends, teachers... who made up for his toxic use of language, and who consequently, also taught me the immeasurable value of positive words and encouragement.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. [Mother Teresa]

Words- so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. [Nathaniel Hawthorne]

A life-long love affair with reading and writing has amplified my appreciation for the power of language. Books can help us escape from something and transport us to another place or better understanding. Hmmm, I could pontificate on that, but why bother? I'm preaching to the choir here, right? You guys are prolific readers, too, so you already know of the magical, transformational powers of a good book.

My task, which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word, to make you hear, to make you feel... it is, before all, to make you see. [Joseph Conrad]

                                                Isn't that what all writers hope to do?





We just have to know... and appreciate... our audience.












                                   Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote', so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.' [Steven Wright]

54 comments:

  1. Welcome back. You have been missed.
    Whoever it was that coined the phrase 'Sticks and Stones will hurt my Bones, but words will never hurt me' was lying through their teeth. I suspect most of us have some word induced scars. Scars which intermittently reopen and bleed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I sure missed you during your break, too. :)

      You're absolutely right about that saying. The sticks-and-stones kind of pain can be awful, but those hurts eventually heal. The ones that make our hearts bleed cause pain that goes much deeper.

      Delete
  2. Fun post, nice to see you around again. I can imagine how hard it is to sell books, and I wish you good luck with your promotions. Have a great month of May, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... it's nice to be around again. :)

      It is difficult to sell books, because a bazillion new ones seem to come out every day. It's easy to get lost in the crowd, but that's okay, because I'm not in it for the money. (Good thing!) Connecting with readers is what it's all about. One good review can make me happy for a loooooong time.

      Hugs back atcha. Happy May!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, hate the marketing part sure is true. So I just pfffted that away. Toxic language sure can stick with one, especially if it comes before one learns not to give a crap about such people. And what? no good diddles? Geez, that is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I could just pfffft the whole marketing thing away, but it's discouraging to receive bank statements with zero royalty deposits on them. If I sell a few books, I'm happy.

      oh yeah, there were plenty of good diddles... just none for deep cleaning the house. I can think of lots better things to have said about me when I'm gone than, "She sure kept a clean house!" :)

      Delete
  4. My April break wasn't as productive as I'd hoped either. Hmm, maybe we need another one....

    That Steven Wright quote cracked me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could USE another break. HA! (Maybe we'd actually get some of that stuff done...? Probably not...)

      Me, too. Wright is a funny guy.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back. Of course you and your words were missed. Note to self - if I ever catch up in person with Susan, don't agree to play pool.
    Ha! Glad you could stop and smell the roses, play pool, read, etc. Retirement on steroids.
    Good post all around. You covered a lot with great quotes.
    Words Matter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Note to you: you should absolutely shoot pool with us, because we always have a blast. We play an eclectic mix of music while we shoot, and it's hilarious, in a weird kinda way, when something like "Taps" comes up when I'm about to take a shot...

      Yes, words do matter. It's good to hear from you again, kiddo. :)

      Delete
  6. Glad the promotion is paying off now with the page views.
    I did some writing as well although like you, not as much as I wanted.
    We are finally no longer covered in green-yellow pollen, so I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The promotion went a lot better than I'd anticipated, so it was totally worth it.

      UGH! That pollen! It's unreal, isn't it? We honest-to-goodness had to have our cars power-washed to get it off.

      Delete
  7. Your posts always crack me up! I love the part about the low watt bulbs. Great cleaning tip :)

    Really interesting to see how your experience with Bargainbooksy was. I'm thinking of trying out some of these types of things more seriously after I release the third book in my series. Very encouraging to hear that it's done well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I love to crack people up. :) Another great cleaning tip? If you happen to wear glasses, take 'em off! (You're welcome.)

      I highly recommend Bargainbooksy. With your third book about to make its debut, another idea for you would be to offer book one for free and book two for ninety-nine cents. Just for a brief time. Ya know, just to get people hooked. That's how another writer enticed me to read her entire series during the month of April. (The nefarious wench!)

      Delete
  8. Well, I missed you.

    I think the power of words question is answered every day these days on social media. Anyone posting an unsupported "fact" or opinion can whip people into a frenzy. It's scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweetie. :)

      Boy, ain't that the truth? And it really IS scary. Facts don't seem to matter nearly as much as opinion these days.

      Delete
  9. A great post, as always. Your knack for combining words in a way that makes your humor shine through never disappoints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back, Susan! I had initially forgotten that April is your Time Off From Blogging month - so I was very worried about you.
    Fortunately I finally remembered, and was relieved when I visualized you writing another great novel and sipping mai tais.

    (Spell Check informed me that I spelled "mai tai" wrong, but I disagree).

    Had to laugh when you said your cats are prolific barfers. My cat Scratch only barfed about twice in ten years - BUT Bosco was a very frequent barfer (he ruined my bedroom carpet). I finally discovered he was eating the weather stripping on the front door. He's also sensitive to certain cat foods, so I changed his diet.

    Words are the most powerful things in existence (wrote about this in my current blog post). They can cut like a knife - and can be lethal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! And thanks for being concerned, too. Hmmm, sipping mai tais, huh? It's been so long since I drank one of them, I don't even remember what they taste like... or if I liked them...
      PBBBT! Stick a cute little umbrella in it, and I'll give it a try...

      Dot tries to eat all kinds of stuff she shouldn't eat, so that explains her barfing, but I think Dash just does it because she likes to. If I ever went a whole day without having to clean up after one of them, I'd think they were sick.

      Yes, words can be lethal. We both learned that at a very young age.

      Delete
  11. I, too, am SO glad to 'see' you again. My word, I laughed out loud at the low-watt light bulbs. Playing pool with your hubby and LIVING your life trumps housework any day. I mean, you're not expecting the pope to drop by.

    PS - We've been inundated with pollen here (in Alabama) as well. Good thing I enjoy sneezing, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you laughed out loud, my mission here is complete. :)

      Nope, not expecting the pope, and if he does happen to drop in, I'll just rack the balls and hand him a pool cue.

      Oh yeah. Every year, it's deja-choo all over again come pollen season. But this, too, will pass. Before you know it, we'll be bellyaching about how hot it is.

      Delete
  12. Time does seem to be going faster and faster. I can't believe it is May already. Each week speeds by. I can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think it goes fast now? Just wait until you're thirty years older or so! :)

      Delete
  13. Welcome back, Susan. Yeah, promotion ... bleaugghhhh! I've used Bargain Booksy a few times. Never enough sales to cover the cost, but it's good to see my author rank on Amazon crawl a little way out of the basement for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ian! It's good to be back. The Bargainbooksy promotions aren't perfect, but it at least gives us the illusion of "doing something" to sell our books. :)

      Delete
  14. I am not sure what words to write to describe how I feel about your words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back from your break, Susan. I take a blogging break all the time, only posting for the IWSG and WEP. Otherwise writing time is down the gurgler. Thanks for the promo sites. It's a fraught thing, promoting your books. I live on the 20books site and hope to make a splash when I finally let go of my darlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Your kinda "break" sounds very tempting...

      20books is a new one on me, but I'll check it out. (Since you live there, I'll bring cake...)

      Delete
  16. Welcome back, Susan. I don't know if I ever had a genre, but writing has strengthened me when I needed it most. Tragedies in childhood and adulthood were worked through in my journals. Love, danger, astonishment were recorded there and made workable. Doodling and verbally goofing off seems enough, let's the future in again --which is why I don't call myself a writer; I'm a gardener. But I sure like how you write and am glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dude! If your writing had a genre, it'd have to be something like "heartfelt," or "thought-provoking." If such genres existed... (For you, they should be created!) And YES, you are a writer.

      If you're so inclined, do a Google search on Sean Dietrich. Another blogger pal alerted me to his work, and now I get his blogposts every morning via email. I know you'd love him. He sees the beauty in everyday people and everyday living, and his heart shines through in every word. I don't think I've ever made it through one of his posts without feeling better for having read it.

      Thank you. I'm glad to be back.

      Delete
  17. I never thought of words having power when I was very young, we were raised to not ask questions don't talk back, do as you're told, but once I learned to read I was in a whole new world which I escaped to as often as I could for as long as I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, I sure wish I'd though to tell our children not to ask questions. They seemed to think I was a walking encyclopedia. (Just kidding! Not about them asking a million question, but that I'd have wanted it any other way...)

      I was raised not to talk back, too. Matter of fact, I got into hot water more than once just for the expression on my face. "Don't even think it!" HA. (Of course, I was a teenager, and probably deserved it.)

      I think reading opened up a whole new world for all of us. It's a shame more young people don't read for pleasure today. (Maybe if someone incorporated it into a video game...)

      Delete
  18. Hi Susan. You possibly noticed that I am fond of puns and short snappy one-liners. On the topic of words, I find that in a short joke the exact placement of the words that one uses (as well as every piece of punctuation) is absolutely critical.
    Here's one to be going on with:
    "My wife tried to stop me drinking WD40.
    I said so why does it have a straw?"
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s laughingly luminous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya. Why yes... I MAY have noticed that about you... :)

      Good one! Thanks for the smile.

      Delete
  19. I used this quote in another comment this week, but it works here also. It is from Maya Angelou. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." We have all been hurt by words and we have, thankfully, also been lifted up by them. I am so sad that you were abused by your dad and admire you for having the courage to speak about it. I believe that we are the people we are ‘because of’ or ‘in spite of.’ It can destroy or be a hard teaching lesson. No one’s parents are perfect, but no one should leave their children with scars. Your kindness and compassion always comes through in your posts/ comments and you are a true winner in life. Your children and grandchildren must be so proud of you for many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your comment is over-the-top wonderful. (You made my eyes, leak, doggone it!)

      My father had a lot of personal demons, and knowing about them made it easier to understand some of his behavior when I got older. I felt sorry for him, because he ended up alienating just about everyone in the family. To a large degree, I think we can choose to be happy or miserable, and for whatever reason, he chose to be miserable.

      Delete
  20. Oh Susan, it’s incredible that you turned out to be such a wonderful person after all you’ve been through. Now I’m even more appreciative of how carefully you chose your words when we were working together on “Old Broods Waxing Poetic.” Everything Arleen said about you is absolutely true. Welcome back and you were missed.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, kiddo. Lots of people had it worse than I did. Honest, it wasn't all bad, and I still have plenty of good memories.

      Delete
  21. Welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your month away. Words are indeed powerful tools that can be used for good or for evil. Imagine how much nicer the world would be if everyone tried to use them for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really did enjoy it, but it ended much too quickly.

      That's a good thing to imagine. (Let's start with all the politicians!)

      Delete
  22. Hi Susan - life is life isn't it ... we adjust and get on with things - and many are so fortunate to make the right decisions re those special people called husbands or wives! Being positive and welcoming is so important ... I had lots of opportunities and was lucky in that respect - now need to get on with things.

    Words and actions can be so divisive ... we need to learn to think and not hurt people. It's interesting that the powers that be, who are influencers are realising that technical systems may be ok ... but more importantly social behaviour needs to be taken into account and accounted for by leaders who have influence.

    It's an interesting time ... while we need to enjoy things that don't or won't harm others ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hillary! Yep, as they say... such is life. :)

      Unkind judgmental words are always hurtful, but it's appalling how many of those words of cruelty come from our world leaders nowadays. It's as though they want us to think that kind of interaction is an acceptable norm. (NOT!)

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  23. Welcome back! Seems like April was a busy month for everybody.

    Books can help us escape from something and transport us to another place or better understanding. <-- Agree with you 100 percent!!! When I was a teenager and averaged maybe three or four books a week, that was my escape...and my mother probably thought many times that I just wasn't quite there...hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe the advent of warmer weather gets us all moving more and into more things? (Then again, you always have warm weather... which explains all of that walking you do...!)

      One good thing about a teenager who keeps her nose in a book most of the time... it's pretty darned hard to get into any trouble that way! :) (I'm still not quite there when my nose is in a book.)

      Delete
  24. Everything is stories and they are made of words, I don't recall when I knew the significance of that. I'm sorry your father was mean - you've clearly learned and made a good balance from it.
    Also - cleaning sucks, and thank you for the promo tip!
    Glad to have you back in blogland too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Lower wattage bulbs saves on all kinds of energy... :)

      Thanks. It's good to be back.

      Delete
  25. Sounds like you had some rough time growing up. But you persevered through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some rough... but not all. I've got plenty of good memories, too. Just like all of us.

      Delete
  26. welcome back to blogger...

    Yes, I agree with you: "Moms are great for giving their little ones a boost... no matter how big they are."

    Thank you for your exciting memes and images.

    ReplyDelete