Friday, June 28, 2019

Going Down Deep

Thought for the day: I was in the first submarine. Instead of a periscope, they had a kaleidoscope. 'We're surrounded!' [Steven Wright]
Yep. A submarine. That's what I'm sitting inside of in that photo. (Way to go, Ian!) Not the FIRST submarine, mind you, which was built way back in 1620 by a Dutch engineer named Cornelius Jacobszoon Dribbel, but it IS an accurately-sized cross section of a mock-up of the first submarine that successfully sunk a ship. And that occurred during the Civil War.

Kind of a tight squeeze, huh?  That crank in my hand? Believe it or  not, that's how the crew members propelled the sub.

Have you ever been inside of a submarine? A modern one, I mean. The quarters are tight enough to drive a claustrophobic person insane. The very idea of being sealed up in a vessel while UNDER the water has always given me the creeps. (I can't hold my breath very long, for one thing...)  Even so, the history of submarines is a fascinating topic. If you have any interest in the role of subs during the Cold War, I highly recommend the book Blind Man's Bluff by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew. It contains a lot of declassified information about submarine espionage, and some of the stories about things submariners endured while UNDER the water more than justifies my trepidation.


Okay! Back on topic... back to the Civil War submarine. The size of that tiny vessel takes tight squeeze to a whole new level. It's forty feet long, and as illustrated in this pic, only four feet tall and 42" wide. And in that small area were eight hunched-over hand-cranking crew members! Wait... that's not entirely true. Only seven were actually cranking. The commander, Lt. George Dickens, who was over six feet tall, was situated in the front of the sub... the eyes of the mission, so to speak.


A picture showing a size comparison. The Housatonic, part of the embargo preventing goods from getting into Charleston, was selected as a target primarily because its hull was constructed of wood. In spite of the odds against the little sub, the mission was a success, and the much larger ship sunk in approximately five minutes.

But the Hunley... never returned to shore.

Its location remained a mystery until 1995, when a team of divers found it. Five years later, it was oh-so carefully raised from its watery grave, and it's been undergoing a meticulous restoration ever since. Smarticus and I have seen a number of documentaries about the sub's recovery and restoration progress, so it was an absolute thrill to visit the Hunley Lab and see this piece of history in person.

A visual of how the Hunley's hull has been revealed during restoration. When the vessel was first brought up, it was filled with silt and sediment, and the exterior was entirely crusted over. The tools the scientists are using for this work are about the size of dental instruments, so as you can imagine, the work is very slow and tedious.




Many personal effects were removed from the interior, and the restoration process on them has been phenomenal. Items buried in muck and silt for nearly 150 years have been restored to almost like-new stature.



Just look at these things! That pocket knife is beautiful, isn't it? There's a very cool story about the gold coin. It belonged to Lt. Dixon, and was given to him by his sweetheart as a good luck charm. See how bent it is? It was in his pocket during the Battle of Shiloh, and was struck by a mini-ball... likely saving his life. It was recovered with his remains. A candle was also recovered... along with the match that was probably used to light it.



 Forensic scientists built models of each crew member's face, and they were able to determine each man's approximate height.  Through DNA testing, the remains regained their rightful names, and they were all laid to rest at the Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston in 2004.
















Today, the Hunley rests in a huge tank of water mixed with NaOH. Sorry I couldn't get a very good pic of it for you, but I'll share a short video that can tell... and show... you a lot more about this sub's story and recovery.



Of all the branches of men in the forces, there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners. [Winston Churchill]

                 And that's as true now as it was one hundred and fifty years ago.

                        Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.


52 comments:

  1. Interesting. Hard to believe they would smoke a pipe in that little thing, I guess that was when they were above water. We went on a tourist sub in Hawaii last year, only about 30 feet deep, not quite as frightening as a war ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about the pipes, too. Then again, they lit candles, so why not smoke?

      Cool! I don't think there were any tourist subs in Hawaii when we were there. Not on Oahu, anyway. That must've been pretty exciting. (I'd probably hyperventilate...)

      Delete
  2. That looks very fascinating. I have never been in a submarine, but saw some close up at a naval show once. Must have been scary being in one of those narrow things. You have a great weekend! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it 'd be scary to spend time in a sub, too. Funny, but most of the guys I know who served on helicopters are TALL. I guess they had to walk around in a stooped position most of the time.

      You have a super weekend, too! Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  3. I am very claustrophobic. Anyone who would willingly go down in a submarine has my heartfelt admiration. And thanks.
    Isn't restoration work fascinating? So much to learn - slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not claustrophobic, but I think spending much time on a sub would make me one.

      Yes, the restoration work is absolutely fascinating. While we were waiting to go up to the tank where the Hunley is, I overheard a fellow talking to his buddies. After hearing about how long each little bit of restoration was taking, he said, "A sandblaster would be a lot faster!"

      Delete
  4. Eight men in that teeny tiny space? I take the stairs if there's that many people in an elevator! Talk about up close and personal. Sad story about The Hunley though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It seems amazing that eight grown men were squeezed in there... with only the feeble light from a candle... working at the cranks, sweating, maybe panting a little. Eerie.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't have got into a submarine invented by a man named Dribbel. It would have been the same if his or her name was Leak, Trickle or Its-pouring-in!
    The only time I went under water was a trip down to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. That was the experience of a lifetime!
    I love the way you always find some humour in any topic...
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s unexpectedly uxorious Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Now, I never thought of that. (I'm obviously slipping!) But you're right... and sharp as ever Hilarious! (Talking about funny names, when my father had colon cancer, his doctor's name was... I kid you not... Seymour Weiner. We found that beyond hysterical. Hmmm, it's a wonder he didn't become a urologist instead of an oncologist...)

      Wow. The great Barrier Reef! That must've been awesome.

      Thanks. Laughter is like exercise for our insides, and these days, it's darned near the only exercise I get!

      Delete
  6. Sad those brave men never made it back to shore. Amazing job they are doing restoring it and the items they found. And no, not a chance I'd go out in any size sub. I like my subs in sandwich form.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool post. I've toured a sub or two and I can't imagine cramming all those men into a windowless space. I'd want to scream. Apparently they do get fed extremely well as incentive. But you would think they wouldn't want to get fatter and take up more space. Hmm.
    I'm with Alex - I'll take a sub sandwich please.
    Have a good weekend and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It'd be downright creepy. Modern submariners probably do eat pretty well, but I hope they don't eat a lot of beans... :)

      You have a super weekend, too.

      Delete
  8. Very interesting post, and well-illustrated.
    Thanks for sharing!
    But I think I could never stay in a submarine for a long time... I'd feel very bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you thought it was interesting. I'm with you. I wouldn't want to spend very much time in a submarine, either.

      Delete
  9. That was so interesting Susan. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wrong to answer your sitting in "Japanese tunnel"

    The video is interesting. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating … and horrifying, at the same time! I don't think they print enough money to convince me to be confined under water. ...Which makes me wonder if Navy seamen aren't subject to super psychological testing before being assigned. Hardly an appropriate place to 'go Postal'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. You're probably right. It's gotta take a strong psyche to tolerate being confined underwater for so long.

      Delete
  12. I had never heard of the Hunley untill this most interesting post. I remember learning about the Monitor (north) and the Merrimack (south) and the battle between these two. Your blog made me look up more history which I enjoyed reading. I do love history.

    My SIL spent his time in the Navy in a submarine. He was the cook. Although subs are much larger today I can’t imagine being under the sea for six months. The only saving grace was that for the other six months he was stationed in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we were all taught about the Monitor and Merrimack when we were in school, but I never heard of the Hunley until we saw the first documentary about it in the early '90s or so. I'm glad you found it interesting, too.

      I love Hawaii, but I dunno if that'd be enough incentive to get me to spend any time in a sub. (shudder) Yeah, I do. I know. No way!!!

      Delete
  13. I went on the WWII sub in Charleston next to the Yorktown. It was small enough. The good luck charm makes me a bit sad. It seemed to have run out of luck. His poor sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought about that gold coin. There was also a gorgeous diamond ring and brooch recovered from Lt. Hicks' remains. Presumably, he was planning to propose to his sweetheart when he got back home.

      Delete
    2. Me, too. Thought the exact same thing. I preferred Yorktown.

      Delete
  14. Oh my! You will never find me inside a submarine. Looking at these pictures alone gives me the willies. I can't even imagine it. Fascinating stories, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha! For some things, a vicarious experience is more than enough.

      Delete
  15. OK, it was a pretty wild guess, but I did know that a sub was used in the civil war. Didn't know all the history, though. Thanks for the informative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a wild guess at all. I'd call it an "educated" guess. Well done!

      Delete
  16. No submarines for me, thank you. I saw a movie--I think it was made for TV--about the Civil War sub. It portrayed the men as knowing they would die.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing what they were up against and the fact that the last crew all died, they very well may have considered it a suicide mission. But still... they went.

      Delete
  17. You have an exciting experience the opportunity to ride a submarine ...
    And that's cool, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I first saw the photo of you in that contraption I immediately thought of an under-water device, but then I decided it might be some sort of weird artillery thing.

    The only submarine I've ever been in was the one at Disneyland, and even that (five inches under water) gave me an anxiety attack. I wouldn't survive ten minutes in a real submarine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if you had a problem with the Disney ride, I don't think you were destined to be a submariner. More of a classy yacht guy, maybe. :)

      Delete
  19. Submarines have always fascinated me. My main job in the Navy was searching for submarines (I'd never get inside of those things....yeesh). Blind Man's Bluff is VERY accurate. And a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Searching for them? Sounds intriguing...

      Good to know someone else is familiar with that book. I thought it was riveting.

      Delete
  20. What they can find and restore sure is amazing, sad it had to be restored though. As for submarines, nope. You'd have to pay me a crap ton to ever go down in one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a special kind of person to do the meticulous work of restoration. Impatient people need not apply.

      You and me both. Actually, NO amount of money would entice me.

      Delete
  21. I need to make the trip up to Charleston to see this—It was amazing that it worked, but sad for the crews.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fascinating article, friend Sue! Especially the personal effects of the crew and the short video … and especially if seen from a safe place like a museum … smiles … in real life I will gladly join you and many other commenters: I like me some solid ground under me feet, which in my case includes the illusion that planes and cruise ships … smiles. Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, cat. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Airplanes up in the sky and cruise ships on top of the water aren't nearly as scary as submarines below the water, so I think it's OK for you to think of them as solid ground. :)

      Delete
  23. Cornelius Jacobszoon Dribbel. Didn't he go on to invent the infamous Dribbel Glass marketed by S.S. Adams as the novelty that started his company?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Susan - I'd hate to spend time in a submarine ... and as you sat there - I can feel my back hurting! Also the thought of things going wrong - the Russians recently have lost two subs ... poor souls aboard.

    Love the shark cartoon clip - canned food - yes, sadly ...

    ... what a history the HL Hunley had - and how wonderful they're restoring it - love these projects ... so fascinating - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary.

      Those stories about lost subs are horrible, but what the men must've experienced in their final hours is unthinkable.

      I thought you'd like hearing about the restoration project.:)

      Cheers back atcha!

      Delete
  25. I knew right away that you were sitting inside the Hunley!

    I'm with you - I couldn't hack being inside a submarine, actually going under water. I have an irrational fear of drowning...I waited a long, long time before I could see the movie Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you recognized the Hunley. :)

      I dunno if my fear of drowning is irrational or not, seeing's as how I came close to actually drowning. Twice. I used to have nightmares about tidal waves, though. In any case, I'm much happier on TOP of the water than underneath it. (Unless my feet can touch bottom... HA!)

      Delete