Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Putting Thoughts into Words

Thought for the day:    It takes an awful lot of time to not write a book. [Douglas Adams]

As you can probably tell by that nifty badge on the left, it's that time again.Time for our monthly IWSG posts. As always, thanks to our fearless leader, Alex Cavanaugh, for founding this fine group, and
 thanks to all the other nurturing guys and gals who've helped turn it into the thriving community it is today. To join this super supportive group of writers and to see links to other participating blogs, please go HERE

Okay, I'm back home and it looks like I'm gonna be sticking around for a while, so theoretically, I should be settling down to do some writing... any second now...

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I'm not experiencing a writer's block.

Nope. I just don't particularly feel like writing.

So sue me. I'll get back to it... any day now.

Yes sirree...

Lately, I've just been having too darned much fun. No apologies for that. We only go around once.

Since I don't have much to report on the progress of my WIP, let's just move along and consider this month's question, shall we?

Of all the genres you read and write, which is your favorite to write in and why?

Good question. Although I know the term turns some people off, the pigeonhole that takes the least amount of hammering to fit my writing into is Literary Fiction. Yeah, I know, that sounds pretentious as all get-out, doesn't it? Like I'm insinuating the stuff I write is somehow more meaningful or has more merit than Genre Fiction. Far from it! It's simply the closest fit, as described by the industry.

[image courtesy of unsplash]
In a nutshell, literary fiction places a higher priority on characters over plot. Kinda like the TV show Seinfeld. (Which, ironically, I never much liked...)

People, and what makes them tick, is absolutely fascinating to me.To begin with shadowy images of characters, and then slowly develop them until they are clearly defined in my mind... and in readers' minds... gives me great pleasure.


Unlike Charles Schultz' Linus in this old 1959 Peanuts cartoon, I genuinely like people and honestly believe that even those who aren't particularly admirable deserve to be fleshed out and presented in such a way that instills some level of empathy. Readers may hate Archie, the main character in Explosive Beginnings, but at least, they (hopefully) come to understand why he is the way he is.

Stories not only give us a much needed practice on figuring out what makes people tick, they give us insight into how we tick. [Lisa Cron]


Which, of course, doesn't mean that writers of Genre Fiction don't create awesome characters. It just isn't their main focus.

Being classified as Literary Fiction doesn't necessarily mean a book is snooty, high-brow and full of la-di-dah words and phrases... like some of the books forced upon us when we were in school... but some admittedly are. Not MY stuff, mind you, but some. However, I think it's fair to say that most literary writers have an inordinate love for the sound and rhythm of words. Not just what they say... but how they sound.

The best thing about writing literary fiction? No template. There are no expectations of a certain kind of story arc, character type, resolution, or a guaranteed happily-ever-after ending. Anything goes. There are no road maps, which suits me perfectly. (Those things are a real pain in the patootie to fold...)

The best explanation I've seen regarding the difference between Genre Fiction and Literary Fiction came from freelance writer Steven Petite in a 2014 Huffpost article: In essence, the best Genre Fiction contains great writing, with the goal of telling a 'captivating story' to escape from reality. Literary Fiction is comprised of the heart and soul of a writer's being, and is experienced as an 'emotional journey' thru the symphony of words, leading to a stronger grasp of the universe and of ourselves.

Yeah... well, that still sounds a little lofty, and I doubt if I've ever risen to those levels.  Bottom line?  I write stories that I'd like to read. Period. Not my fault the industry gurus categorize my hybrid stuff as literary. After all, in the end, what we all write is... words.

                          Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.
















59 comments:

  1. I am a multi-genre reader and literary fiction floats my boat. Often. As do works which refuse to be caged by genre.
    Wonderful to hear that you are having fun. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a multi-genre reader, too. With such an amazing smorgasbord of books to choose from, why not try a little bit of everything?

      Delete
  2. The main thing is that you still have fun thinking about your work, planning it, and are not giving up. I am sure your next book will be as good if not better than the last one, which I loved. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... "writing" doesn't always involve sitting in front of a computer or scribbling in a notebook. Thanks for the pep talk. I appreciate it a bunch. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  3. Well, I can definitely relate to the Linus cartoon.

    As for genres, I'm probably genre-less. Or perhaps bi-genre. I don't like to be stuck in only one category......it's much more fun to be stuck in several.

    Genres are definitely necessary - and many authors are masters at one specific category. As for myself, I prefer the element of surprise and variety.
    Sometimes I'm humorous. Sometimes I'm depressingly moribund....

    .....and sometimes I write crappy comments on wonderful blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people can relate to that Linus cartoon. :)

      Declaring my work genre-less would suit me, but the publishing world is more accepting of a writer being gender-less than they are of that same writer penning genre-less books that don't fit neatly into one of their pigeonholes. As for YOU? I certainly hope your next book is squarely in the "memoir" category...

      Nope. Your comments are NEVER crappy.

      Delete
  4. If anyone was to grasp a better understanding of the universe by reading one of my books then they were in a really bad place to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Not true. Your characters are very timeless, and their stories are universal.

      Delete
  5. Great explanation of the difference between genre and literary fiction. Archie was a great character - very complex. I didn't want to like him, but he grew on me over the course of the book as I learned more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. funny meme, make me smile: " writing a book after finish solitaire...game..."

    Enjoy with your group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solitaire... or crossword puzzle... maybe a Sudoku or two... Whatever works. :)

      Delete
  7. Love that first quote!

    No Seinfeld?! And I have a reference to the show on my post today.... :)

    Would Contemporary Fiction work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. It kinda describes my approach to writing these days...

      HA! All of our kids loved Seinfeld, but I never took a shining to it. I couldn't relate to any of the characters or the way they always made mountains out of molehills. :)

      I dunno. Since one of my books takes place in the mid-90s and the other in the '50s, they might not be considered contemporary.

      Delete
  8. I like your definition of literary fiction, as well as your rejection of the snootiness associated with that label. It can be hard to slot our stories into this or that genre--says the woman working on a cozy mystery/women's fiction/romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It can be hard to categorize our stories. Your WIP sounds like a good mix, though. Good luck with it!

      Delete
  9. People never do their best when “they are not in the mood”. When the spirit hits you to go back to your writing, you will know it and you will be mad to get back to the keyboard. Meanwhile, keep on enjoying. “It is summertime and the livin’ is easy.”

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not lofty at all, Susan …. I thoroughly enjoyed your explanations; I'd not given thought to. Mostly? I'm delighted to learn I'm not the only one who disliked Seinfeld!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo HOO! I thought I was the ONLY one who didn't care for Seinfeld. Cool!

      Delete
  11. Have all the fun you want! Writing will be there when you need it. And then you can write about the fun things you've done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The whole trick is to write what you'd like to read. I'm a genre girl through and through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's true: write whatcha want to read. As for you, you're a good writer through and through. :)

      Delete
  13. Having fun sure is the way, whether writing or not. Just going where the mind wants works for me, nothing specific at our sea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Similar to Linus' estimation of mankind, I saw this pretty funny tee shirt with this written on the front:
    People
    Not a fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty funny. (Did you see it in your closet...? HA!)

      Delete
  15. I'm with "Write what you like to read." All that matters is you enjoy doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. If we don't like what we write, why in the world would anybody else like it?

      Delete
  16. Genre bothers me. I have no idea what genre my writings would be classed as. It's something I never think about until someone brings it up. I haven't written much lately, I know I should work on it daily, but just don't "feel it", if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah! It most DEFINITELY makes sense to me. I'm not "feeling it" lately, either. As for writing every day, that's what "they" say we should do, but ya know what? "They're" not the boss of us! HA. We'll get back to it when we're good and ready. :)

      Delete
  17. I've been having too much fun too, Susan. No excuses, but I've even been a bit lazy with my blog. Plus the darn grass keeps growing - seems like Ray and I are mowing every day.
    I am not a genre person - I read a huge variety and I also write (if and when I do) a variety. I admire folks who choose a genre and are really good at it. I'd rather flail about with my pen or pencil or a crayon or two.
    Hey - keep having fun. Let's rest on the bench once in awhile and catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it! You... we... SHOULD be having fun, doggone it. (ahem) Hear ye, hear ye! I hereby decree this the Summer of Having Fun!

      (But, psssst! Unless you're made of much different materials than I, mowing the lawn is NOT considered fun!)

      Delete
    2. psssst - I don't mind mowing. Our yard isn't that huge and we have a very light battery powered mower with an auto GO. I can set the speed and it does the work. A bit of exercise...

      Delete
    3. :) To tell the truth, I didn't mind mowing the lawn once upon a time, either. Except for the darned HEAT. It wasn't too bad when we had the pool, though, because I'd literally fall into it when I got finished. Best feeling ever... Now, hubby does all the mowing... with a riding mower. :)

      Delete
  18. I'm not a writer but I enjoy reading … but sometimes especially when the weather is good and there is so much going on outside the book is put down for a while.

    So, I say … write when you want to and have fun when you want to, I see no harm in that :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think writing what you would like to read is great advice, regardless of where on the shelf the industry wants to place it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You write stories you like to read--yes, that resonates with me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what they say. Great minds think alike. :)

      Delete
  21. Hi Susan - I think Connie probably says it all - I just enjoy writing content for the blog that resonates for me and hopefully for others ... love Linus' comment ... I love people (some of mankind not so much). How many have had their tick-tock taken away ... funny cartoon - always love them - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. If we don't enjoy reading what we write, there's a darned good chance nobody else will, either. :)

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  22. I'm mostly a fan of scifi/fantasy, though I like to read almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how much we can like a genre we thought we'd NEVER enjoy. As long as we approach a work with an open mind, good writing is good writing.

      Delete
  23. I like to read all genres. And enjoy reading so genres hardly matter to me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Completely relate to your love of characters. They always come first for me, too. (To the point where I find myself going, "Oh, wait, I gotta come up with some kind of plot for 'em now, don't I?! AHHH.) Literary fiction not having a template to follow or expectations to meet sounds so freeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I reckon we have to come up with SOME kinda plot... :)

      Delete
  25. I like it simple. I just simply write, friend Sue … am not concerned about any "genre" talk and things like that … simple as that. Anyway. Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't write "simple." What you write is simply beautiful.

      Delete
  26. Yes, to your list of character trait likes. I also go for different types of characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. No one likes to read about characters who are so much alike, they're like cut-out dolls.

      Delete
  27. I’m surprised you didn’t like Seinfeld, as we laugh at many of the same things. Then again, it’s probably a good thing that you don’t have any family members who remind you of the characters. It hits a little too close to home for me! Haha, you could never be a snob, though literary fiction does have a nice ring to it. And you write it so well! On another note, happy belated 50th anniversary! You look and act way too young to have been married that long! I can’t wait to see the photos!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno why I didn't care for Seinfeld. Our kids all loved the show, but it never floated my boat.

      Thanks. It's hard to believe 50 years has flown by so quickly. (I was but a mere zygote when we got hitched...)

      Delete