Friday, August 2, 2019

Traffic SNAFU

Thought for the day: Some rights are worth dying for, but the right of way isn't one of them.




Unfortunately, road rage is a real thing, and some people aren't satisfied with merely offering a rather familiar and not-so-friendly hand gesture... which I prefer to interpret as You're number one. It takes a lot to get me riled, but I must admit, the lack of courtesy on our roads does kinda get my goat. Not that I resort to using the aforementioned gesture, but I do occasionally mutter some rather unladylike words. Under my breath, of course. (After all, the guy who forces me to hit the brakes because he just cut in front of me... even though there are abso-freaking-lutely no cars whatsoever BEHIND me... might not take too kindly to hearing some old lady's opinion about his driving skills or the legitimacy of his birth.)

I'm gonna ask you guys for your opinions about a particular driving situation, but before we get to that, let's just have a little fun with some road signs, shall we?

Now, I can't say that I've ever seen this sign myself, but if I did, you can be sure I'd have to stop the car and take a picture of it. It reminds me of a joke... Did you hear about the woman who tried to pull a Lorena Bobbitt on her philandering husband? In a blind rage, she ended up stabbing him multiple times in the leg. She was charged with a... ready for it?... a mis-da-weiner. 









I wonder if this sign is posted in a school district...?







I'd actually loooooooove to see signs like the one on the right. The one on the left? To tell the truth, around these parts, that isn't much of an exaggeration.






Now here's a sign some of those angry bird-flipping drivers might understand. It speaks their language.








HUH! Well, that's downright discriminatory! We old broads and geezers have just as much right to be on that road as the younguns.



You've all seen those signs warning drivers about various animal crossings. I say BRAVO to all of those smart animals who know where it's safe for them to cross.

(If the crossing's location is inconvenient for drivers, then the DOT could do what the dumb blonde suggested in a joke: For goodness sake, just move the sign!)





Now, I dunno what the heck this sign is trying to tell us. Has there been a spate of alien abductions in the area? (HMMMPH! I'd say that's a bunch of bull!)







A hand-made PSA posted by a concerned citizen.







This sign just makes me smile.









Okay, so it's time for me to STOP and get off of Procrastination Parkway and get to the gist of this post... getting your opinions about a particular traffic situation.







We've all seen those dreaded signs warning us of construction ahead. Grrrrreat, huh? Usually means delays, snarled traffic, and frayed nerves, not to mention an annoying kick in the seat to one's average rate of speed. (Particularly annoying on a long trip.)


But HERE'S the kind of sign I want to discuss with you. With the amount of roadwork and utility work going on around here, we see similar signs on every road from interstates to small roads within subdivisions. Often, they come with more specific information. Like, RIGHT LANE CLOSES IN ONE HALF MILE, usually followed by multiple distance count-down signs before the lane finally comes to an end.

Now here's the question: When you see a sign telling you that the lane you are in is going to close, when do you move over into the other lane? Smarticus and I have always moved over as soon as possible, and he certainly doesn't take too kindly to the folks who wait until the VERY LAST MOMENT to try to cut over in front of him. (i.e. We did the right thing, and they're inconsiderate a**holes.)







Kinda like the sentiments expressed on this sarcastic gem.






Or this one.


The thing is, I've seen some angry drivers at that actual point of lane-ending. Lots of honking horns and not-so-friendly hand signals.







Reminds me of a weird news story I wrote about in one of my posts in February of 2012:

***  An impatient Porsche driver in San Francisco wasn't happy about being stuck in traffic, so he set out to do something about it. You've seen this sort of driver before; we all have. They're usually behind the wheel of a high-dollar car, and I suppose they figure they're above the mundane laws of the road governing the rest of us peons. Anyway, they generally have no problem making their own lanes. Like the privileged characters they are, they'll whip down the shoulder or emergency lane to get past the traffic jam, and then count on the kindness of strangers to let them back on the road. That's exactly what the Porsche driver tried to do, only the empty lane he claimed was empty for a very good reason. A nice, wet, freshly-poured concrete reason. The guy went from being merely stuck in traffic to really stuck. Workers had to dig the car out, and though the incident may have ruined that Porsche dude's day, I have a feeling the other snickering drivers and pointing passersby considered it a delightful case of poetic justice.

I think the same kind of resentment over entitled drivers may be what's behind the less-than-friendly behavior when a lane closes. Ergo, we move over as soon as possible.

                                                                And that's certainly

                                  to respond to the situation. But as it turns out,  it may be the

According to Marilyn vos Savant, the super duper high IQ gal who writes a column for the Sunday newspaper, the right way to handle those approaching lane closures is to utilize both lanes for as long as possible. She says it's more efficient that way, and keeps traffic moving. Then at the closure point, cars are to take turns: proceed first from one lane, and then the other. I checked it out, and the DOT agrees with her. They even have a name for it; they call it the zipper method. After I read her article, I thought it did, indeed, make sense to do it that way, but Smarticus still says he's gonna move over well before the lane closes. A couple of other friends agreed with him, and they say that in a Utopian world, it'd be a great way to handle the situation, but it ain't a Utopian world, and people are gonna act like jerks at the convergence point. It might be a logical approach... but it isn't practical.
             
                                                         What do YOU think?

                                             I think... I'm gonna have a cuppa tea.

                            Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

53 comments:

  1. Speaking of traffic, I just got back from Buffalo. I am horrible in heavy traffic. I get nervous and sweaty and just know that everyone around me is cursing the day I was born, or at least the day I was granted a driver's license. But I never cut on front of traffic. I'm more likely to be blocking roads with my hesitance to make a turn into oncoming traffic. My husband says I need hell and ten acres to feel safe to turn. I will drive an extra mile to find a turn light. I do know my weaknesses and try to compensate for them.

    I'm with Smarticus. I also can see the logic, but I will always shift lanes as soon as I see the merge sign. Someone else can deal with the zipper. Get one of those bad boys stuck and you have issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate driving in heavy traffic, too. It's gotten so bad, I try to avoid driving on the interstate as much as possible. Two lanes of speeders weaving back and forth from lane to lane just to get one car ahead are bad enough, but five of them make me apoplectic. And merging onto one of the interstates? When I was young, I was more fearless, (and Atlanta's traffic was a little less crazy) so I had no problem driving on interstates, but our kids knew to "zip it" whenever I was merging. I dunno why, but I needed QUIET.

      Delete
  2. I particularly like the concerned citizens sign.
    I am with you and Smarticus. And long for a utopian world.
    It is drivers in the rain who puzzle me (the ones who drive even faster or alternatively hug your bumper). Or they did puzzle me until I came up with an explanation for their behaviour.
    All of their cars are made of cardboard and they HAVE to drive faster or their cars will melt. And, if they hug your tailpipe closer than is comfortable it is because they have worked out that way you will get wet and they won't.
    Enjoy your cup of tea, and have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your explanation for the way some people drive in the rain is funny. Here, the least little bit of rain makes traffic WAY worse. It's like everyone forgets how to drive. And snow? OY! It's not like we get snow very often, but the traffic snafus that happen here when it does are so epic they get national coverage. (And are fodder for the late-night comics.)

      You have a fabulous weekend, too!

      Delete
  3. Your road signs are such fun. Rage-road drivers are NOT! The aggression on the roads is often very shocking. These people have never grown up and learnt that they have responsibility to others. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. The way some drivers behave, it's as though they think they're can get away with anything, because they're "hidden" in their cars and are somewhat anonymous. Kinda like the way some people act on social media. Hmmm, I have a feeling those two groups have a lot of intersections...

      Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  4. I think all convergence points should have traffic police to ensure the Zipper keeps moving along. Loved all the signs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your solution is a logical one, but we don't have enough police officers to handle the bazillions of lane closings we have around here. Okay, so that's a slight exaggeration. We do encounter a lot of them, though.

      Delete
  5. It's impossible to pick a favorite traffic sign - - I can relate to all of them.....
    ....and I've always suspected that cows in my neck of the woods were being abducted by aliens.

    When I see a sign warning that the lane is going to end, the first thing I do is panic - - then I merge quickly, without mercy.

    Road signs can be misleading.
    When I was driving from Texas to Tennessee, there was a sign that said "Merge LEFT for Memphis". I quickly merged left and almost wound up in St. Louis. I had to backtrack 40 miles.
    True story.

    I should have realized I was going north instead of east - - but I still blame the sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe your tale about the drive from TX to TN. Some road signs really are misleading. My father got enraged about confusing road signs all the time. He was FOREVER getting lost, and he usually went far more than 40 miles in the wrong direction. Having zero sense of direction didn't help.

      Delete
  6. haha the watch for arsehole one sure is universal. I get over as soon as I get a chance. In a perfect world all would merge one by one and take turns, but it sure isn't a perfect world as a-holes try to keep pushing in at the last minute and such. Pffft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I reckon arseholes inhabit every corner of the earth... :)

      Delete
  7. We need signs that say Kumbaya on the roadways. Traffic stoppages are annoying but in the end, it is just a few minutes of my life to wait, I am seldom in a rush, and just possibly, some of them might be on their way to an emergency. On the other hand, they could also be entitled jerks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That'd be the sign to have... but unfortunately, most people would ignore it. :(

      You sound like me when you say some of those people might be on their way to an emergency. Our kids used to make fun of me for it, but when they'd spout off about somebody else's behavior, I always told them they didn't know what was going on in that people's lives, so cut them some slack. Now, our daughter is the same way. Our sons? Not so much.

      Delete
  8. great road signs. I like Whoa! Nowadays folks can't read. That's the real problem. Ha. and phones, and phones, and ...oh well, did Henry Ford anticipate this world?

    Stay cool and have a super weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Whoa! sign makes me smile, too.

      Nope, I don't think Henry Ford had any idea what the world would become.

      You have a super weekend, too! And we'll BOTH stay cool. :)

      Delete
  9. Here in good old Ontario there are a plethora (oooh good word) of 'right lane ends' signs and just as many drivers who either don't notice the sign or don't believe the sign or just don't give a #$%%. I always move over right away and when someone pulls up along side in the soon to be removed right lane I back off a bit to give them room to pull over. Some do...some will wait until the last possible moment before they pull over anyway and then expect miracles. Sometimes they get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes, plethora is a dandy word.

      Sounds to me like you handle the situation perfectly. I've got no problem with doing it that way. I don't mind letting someone get in front of me... after all, like I said in the thought for the day, the right of way isn't a right I consider worthy of a fighting. The annoying part is where you slow down to let ONE car in, and three more sneak in with him...

      Delete
  10. Oh my word, you've hit on one of my biggest pet peeves in the history of EVER! Wish I could find it, but I saw something out on FB years ago that showed several 18-wheelers banding together -- zig-zag like -- to keep other motorists from racing by and cutting in. 'Not so sure how I feel about that zipper effect … then again, I'm not fond of compromise... lol. The signs you've spotlighted are soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. The side-by-side truckers are a pet peeve of mine, too. And a former truck driver told me they actually coordinate those traffic blockades via CB radio to get back at a driver who's annoyed one of them. (How about the REST of us??? I guess we're considered collateral damage...)

      Delete
  11. Having lived and driven on Europe's crazy roads, I had a hard time adjusting to the North American driving rules, friend Sue. Too slow, too cautious, too laid back, stop signs at crossings where you can see no traffic for miles and miles … anyway after a few costly reminders I'm happy to report, that I eventually learned my lessons … smiles … Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too slow and too cautious??? Yipes! Cars fly down our interstate at close to 100 mph. If that's too slow and cautious for you, I don't EVER want to drive in Europe!

      Delete
  12. 100 mph is 160.9 kmph … which is quite acceptable on the Autobahn … if you are staying in the middle or slow lane:)c.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I move over as soon as there is an opening. Sometimes the left lane people don't want to let you in...I never understand that. THe ones that wait for the last second are entitled, they all drive BMW's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that phenomenon about BMWs, too. And no matter how shiny and new they are, they rarely have operational turn signals...

      Delete
  14. This use to be one of my pet peeves till I lived in California with most car drivers being assholes. But it is the red light runners that get me. I have learned to watch the other lane so many accidents caused here. Lots of entitled California drivers in Tucson. Also if you see big black SUV's with very dark windows here, be very careful they are cartel wives, girlfriend and or families. always dangerous.
    I loved the signs so very funny. Great post !
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red light runners are real boogers, too. So are people who don't use their turn signals. There's a busy intersection near us, and it drives me crazy when the people on the other side of the intersection can't be bothered to let me know they're making a left hand turn. Meantime, I'm sitting across from them with my left-hand signal on, waiting to turn. A whole string of them will make that turn without signaling, but I can't go, because I have to assume they may be coming straight across the intersection. GRRRR!

      Delete
  15. I read the same thing years ago. Human nature being what it is though, well, until they teach the zipper method in driver's education classes, I'm pretty sure we'll still clog up and people who moved left sooner will get grumpy at the right lane folks who wait until the last minute to move left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. Even teaching the method to new drivers wouldn't change the behavior of the drivers already on the road. Remember when we were taught to keep a full car length for every ten MPH between our car and the one in front of us? HA! If you leave more than one car length, two cars will try to squeeze into it!

      Delete
  16. I see this a lot, not just on lane closures, but on a couple of very long merge lanes onto the highway. My approach is to move over early-ish, i.e. not leave it until the absolutely last minute.

    It also depends a lot on what other people are doing around me. If traffic is solid in both lanes up to the merge point then the "zipper method" applies. If most people are moving over early I'll do the same and refrain from taking advantage of that long empty lane ahead. It's that "I can see what's happening and I'm going to use it to my advantage" attitude that really bugs people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment! It makes sense to access the situation and respond accordingly. When we go to events with huge crowds, drivers, for the most part, utilize the zipper method to exit the parking lots efficiently. It SHOULD work well on the roads, too. (If people weren't in such a doggone hurry to get ahead of everyone else.)

      Delete
  17. I move over as soon as I can and curse those d-bags who zoom to the front. One guy did that to me last weekend and I refused to let him in. He finally got in behind me, honked his horn, and flashed me the the International Sign of Goodwill.
    I smiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like a kindred spirit to my hubby. He refuses to let them in, too. Around here, the International Sign of Goodwill is flashed frequently, and it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the knowledge that, thanks to our "guns anywhere" laws, most people around these parts are armed. Guns and road rage aren't a good mix.

      Delete
    2. I have to admit, when that guy didn't immediately pass me, I wondered about that. Luckily, he stayed in the lane behind me so he could get off at the next exit. But, you're right...there are a lot of crazy people out there with guns. And, people who aren't necessarily crazy, but could go full-blown road rage crazy in an instant.

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah, I laughed when he flashed me. Didn't let him see me laughing at him in the rear view mirror, though.
      I'M not crazy.

      Delete
    4. It's a shame we have to think about whether or not a crazy honking his horn at us may be considering using a gun to reinforce his point of view.

      Delete
  18. Yeah! If alien abduction so who put up the sign? Aliens?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like to move over as soon as I'm able to do so. Of course, that means some driver has to make room for the cars that need to move. Sometimes I can't get over until the last second. Sometimes I virtually force my way in and get a good honking at. I am careful to allow space for other drivers to make their move. I want more do unto others as I would have others do unto me on the interstate.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could definitely do with more of the Golden Rule on our roads. Heck, we could use more of it in every aspect of our lives...

      Delete
  20. I wonder if those people know that they are assholes??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's safe to say that those people who are most deserving of the title think the term only applies to OTHER people.

      Delete
  21. I change lane as soon as I see the sign. But yeah, I also see people driving all the way to the last possible time and then cut in front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon that's pretty much the situation all over the country. Heck, maybe all over the world...

      Delete
  22. I absolutely agree with you that courtesy is what's missing these days (in all walks of life).
    I couldn't believe it when our old Dad was accused of stealing notices from the streets - but when I got home all the signs were there...
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s righteously rebarbative Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, unfortunately, common courtesy (along with common sense) aren't all that common any more.

      HA! You had me going...!

      Delete
  23. Thanks for the smiles! Funny signs. I also change lanes as soon as I see the sign. It is aggravating when others wait until the last moment and then expect to be allowed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Well, all of us here seem to be of the same opinion about closing-lane situation. (i.e. We're all the "good kids." HA!)

      Delete
  24. Hi Susan - I am having a cup of tea and I think I'll carry on with my tea and not comment on fools on the road - mind you now I'm a pedestrian fool ... caused a four way stop this week ...as I padded across!! Thank goodness - it was a visit to the hospital! (not that close I'm pleased to say! ... but one can't hear these electric cars ... ) Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. Being a pedestrian can be pretty darned scary around some roads. Be careful! I'd like you to keep padding around (and stopping traffic, if need be!) for lots more years.

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete