Friday, November 22, 2019

How About Some Health Tips?

Thought for the day:  I want to lose weight by eating nothing but Moon Pies, which have significantly less gravity than earthier foods such as fruits and vegetables. [Jarod Kentz]

[image courtesy of wikipedia]
I understand the ooey-gooey sugary treats we call Moon Pies in the U.S. are called Wagon Wheels in the U.K., Australia, and Canada. That's kinda cool, but it wouldn't be nearly as amusing to say I wanted to lose weight by eating Wagon Wheels, ya know? At any rate, I don't reeeally want to eat them. I (gasp!) actually like fruits and vegetables...

Okay, this week's post is the second guest post I wrote a few years ago for The Really Real Housewives of America. This time, it's about health tips, and once again, I'll run it exactly as originally published. Purely for your benefit, of course. (Okay, I'll admit it. I'm lazy.) On the personal side, Smarticus is doing well, and next week is his last scheduled week of radiation. (No matter where you live in the world, you'll probably hear us whooping and hollering when we leave that cancer center...) Chemotherapy is supposed to finish up next month.

*******************************************************


Hi-ya. So here I am again. Still a bit saggy... although personally, I prefer to think of it as more of a relaxed fit... and hopefully, still sassy and savvy enough to provide you with some worthwhile wellness tips. Some of these may be old-hat to you, some may be new, and some may even be a bit counter-intuitive, but I'm going to try not to be such a smart ass today. This stuff's as real as the mildew growing under my boobs. Okay, so I totally made that part up. (Just a few squirts of X-14 keeps the mildew problem down nicely.) Okay, another lie. Sorry. But trust me, these tips are on the up-and-up. (Unlike my boobs...)




  • Want to  amp up a twenty-minute nap so it does a better job kicking fatigue in the keister? Have a cup of coffee first. Really. Downing approximately 200 mg of caffeine immediately before catching a few zees is all you need to turn your mini- nap into a super nap. That's because of something called adenosine, which is a natural byproduct of being awake and active. The higher its level, the more fatigued we feel. Makes sense, right? Well, a nap clears that stuff out of our system, and caffeine is an adenosine-blocker, so just as you're waking up from that nap, the caffeine is kicking in, and... ta-DA!... it effectively amplifies the benefits of that nap. 
  • Are you one of those people who is so conscientious about brushing your pearly whites immediately after every meal that you carry a toothbrush in your purse? Hold on. You might want to rethink that, because you may not be doing something quite as good as you think you are. Especially if your meal includes something acidic... like citrus fruit, tomatoes, sports drinks, or sodas. Acid temporarily softens tooth enamel, so brushing too soon, when your teeth are at their most vulnerable, can actually cause damage to your teeth. Bottom line? If you want to still have your choppers when you're as old as I am, best to wait 30-60 minutes before pulling out your toothbrush.
  • Those snack products marketed in 100-calorie packages seem to be a great idea, right? I mean, they control our portion size, and essentially save us from ourselves. (Assuming we have enough willpower to only eat one of them, that is.) The thing is, that small portion of carbs may spike your blood sugar a tad initially, but then you're too soon hungry again... for more carbs. It'd be better in the long run to pass on the carb snacks altogether, and reach for proteins. Something like peanut butter or cheese and apple slices. More calories per serving, yeah, but you'll feel full faster, and stay full longer. That means you won't be tempted to stuff your face with something else, and will end up eating fewer calories overall. 
  • Are you hooked on energy drinks? If you drink them, you probably are. One of those hopped-up beverages has five times more caffeine than a comparable amount of coffee, so no wonder it leaves you feeling nervous, jittery, and irritable, and makes your heart race. In addition to that mega-dose of caffeine, it also contains aurine, a central nervous system stimulant, and upwards of fifty grams of sugar. (That's a whopping thirteen teaspoons!) Yeah, that'll provide a rapid spike in blood sugar, all right, but it'll also lead to an inevitable hard crash, which will leave you fuzzy-headed, groggy, and... in need of another energy drink. 
  • It may sound counter-intuitive, but when you're dragging, exercise can re-energize you. Just thirty minutes of moderate exercise is enough to lessen your fatigue, improve your mood, and get those juices flowing again. Unfortunately, blog-hopping, jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, carrying things too far, dodging responsibility, pushing your luck, and doing diddly squats don't count as exercises.
  • Would you believe there's no evidence that antibacterial soap is any more effective than regular soap? In fact, long-term usage of anti-bacterial products can actually be detrimental to your health. Some of the ingredients in them, particularly something called tricolsan, can lead to hormonal changes in users, and to bacteria with a  higher resistance to antibiotics. Getting the optimal amount of effectiveness from a regular bar of soap requires a certain amount of lather time. A simple trick: To reach that optimal time while washing your hands, sing Happy Birthday in your head... twice.  Well, I suppose you could belt it out loud, but it might get you some strange looks if you do it in a public restroom. Not that (ahem) I know anything about that from personal experience, of course... 
  • Smelling a green apple can help ease the severity of migraine headaches. Certain scents naturally help us relax and reduce tension, and studies have shown the green apple scent to be particularly effective. A chilled cut lime is also reported to reduce headache pain, both by smelling it, and by rubbing it on the forehead or temples. For a select few, squeezing it into a margarita may also be beneficial.
  • Honey is a powerful antibacterial. Just a little dab will do ya before applying a bandage. If you suffer from hay fever, a teaspoon of honey a day is also reputed to reduce those miserable symptoms. Sweet, huh?
  • Cut yourself in the kitchen? (In a minor way, that is; I'm not talking about a to-the-bone debacle.) Rinse the area with cold water, (Use soap if you were handling raw meat.) sprinkle on some black pepper, and  then apply pressure until the bleeding stops. Who'd a thunk it? Good old black pepper has analgesic, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties. How 'bout that? (Doesn't sting, either!)
  • Looks like I need to increase my intake of spearmint tea. Just two cups of it a day are supposed to help with hormonal problems, like acne or excess hair. It accomplishes this by reducing the level of male hormones in the body. (I'm reeeeeally getting tired of having to shave my darned face!)
  • Having trouble regulating your blood sugar level? Drink slime water! I don't mean you have to sneak out in the middle of a moonless night and skim muck off the top of a dirty ditch, or anything. Nope, you can make your own slime water. I do. Every evening, I wash three pieces of okra, slice off the ends, cut the larger pods in half, and cover all of the pieces with about half a cup of water. (You could use more, but the more you make, the more somebody has to drink.) Refrigerate overnight and in the morning, remove the okra, and drink the slimy water. My husband is the one who saw the tip online, and after investigating it on multiple medical websites, I ascertained that it could help, and most important, it couldn't hurt, so we decided to give it a try. Guess what? At least, for my husband, it has made a difference. Okra water doesn't negate the need for regular diabetes medications, but it has kept his numbers on a nice even keel. (If you try this, drink it all down at once. Then the slime isn't even noticeable.) (So he says...)
Th-th-th-that's all, folks, Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

Best wishes from Susan, long-time housewife, and visiting SOB (Sassy Old Broad)

One of the best things about being an old broad is... grandchildren. Susan and Smarticus have thirteen of them, ranging from three to eighteen, but since they can't all fit on her lap at one time, here's three of the younger ones who do fit.

Most Fridays, Susan blogs at I Think;Therefore, I Yam Y'all are cordially invited to come visit her. No telling what the topic might be on any given week. Her body may not be flexible anymore, but her interests still are.



************************************************************

UPDATE:  Okay, so Smarticus didn't stick with that slime water for long. (And honest, it wasn't because that's what I kept calling it...) Turns out, he was a little slow drinking it one morning. Instead of gulping it right down, which is obviously the only way to get that disgusting stuff down, he took a sip... and the slime kinda hung in one long snot-like loop all the way from his mouth to the cup. Just hung there, all jiggly-looking, with the light reflecting off of it like a prism. And then someone may have possibly laughed. Okay, so it was me, okay? I laughed. Just a little. Okay, so I laughed a lot. I mean, come on, people! It was FUNNY! And what can I say? He kinda lost the stomach for it after that...

As much as I love that picture of three of our granddaughters sitting on my lap, it's unbelievable how much they've grown since then. They're all beautiful young ladies now. Two are taller than I am. (sigh) Time does have a way of flying, doesn't it?

                            Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.




40 comments:

  1. Fun post again. Love the pic with your 3 grandies, so sweet. I mostly eat healthy, and walk a lot, but occasionally I have a binge on something and ENJOY it! But never energy drinks, they are awful! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like that picture, too. The girls are soooo beautiful. (All of 'em are... even the boys!)

      Hey, we have to indulge ourselves sometimes. Life's too darned short to deny ourselves of some of the simple pleasures... like dessert! (If you don't think you'll have room for it, heck, why not eat it FIRST?)

      Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  2. I may never fully recover from reading about the okra slime water, but that's beside the point.

    Very interesting info, Susan - many of which I haven't heard of. I would be tempted to try inhaling the scent of green apples for migraines, but green apples are never on my grocery list.
    I often inhale Vicks or ammonia when I get a migraine.

    I hate energy drinks and antibacterial soap, but I love honey.

    And I love the sweet photo of you and the grandkids.Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I can practically hear you gagging from here... (But I bet you would've laughed, too!)

      Um, I think I'd rather inhale the apples than Vicks or (ugh!) ammonia. But whatever works...

      You take care, too, cowboy.

      Delete
  3. I'm on a health kick Susan. I set myself a target to lose 15lbs this this year. Only another 25lbs to go!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s justly jocular Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think I will pass on the slime water, thanks.
    The energy drink I like has less caffeine than coffee, no sugar, and only ten calories.
    Exercise is great for reviving the body! I always feel more alert after going to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! You and me both. The slime factor is just too icky.

      I've never had any energy drinks. Just as well. I already act like an over-excited puppy half the time... but at least I don't tinkle on the floor.

      Delete
  5. okra just sounds gross to me. Ugh. Health - everything in moderation...that's my motto. Well, except for reading - that I do in excess. Glad things are going well at your household and cheers for making it through first rounds.Well done. Much to be thankful for this week - keep smiling and laughing with family and friends - that's the best health tip of all. Cheers my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okra's gross when the slime is evident, but it's great when fried. Or in gumbo. The "slime" works as a great thickener in gumbos and other soups, and it tastes good, too.

      Cheers back atcha. Have a super weekend.

      Delete
  6. Here I thought I was taking good care of myself by choosing low calorie cookies, brushing my teeth after eating, no naps, and drinking caffeine free, non spearmint tea.

    I am wondering if honey under my boobs would help with the mildew in the summer. It’s stickiness might also act as a glue to help with gravity.

    That is a wonderful, happy picture of you and your girls. The four of you are adorable. Have you noticed that grandchildren grow faster than our own children did. The years go by so much quicker.

    That is great news about Smarticus. I know what a relief it is to finish that part of treatment. That should help you have a good Thanksgiving. My thoughts are with you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you could be onto something! If we smear the honey all over our boobs, we could even wear a strapless bra! :)

      You're absolutely right. Grandchildren definitely grow up more quickly than our own kids. It's hard to believe some of ours can drink already. (Legally!)

      It's a huge relief. Just two more days of radiation to go! We may have to dance out of the hospital on Tuesday... while singing "Celebration."

      Delete
  7. Interesting...might try a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the informative and funny tips. I try to always remember Laughter is the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If laughter's the best medicine, I may live forever. :)

      Delete
  9. Wait... did I just read okra lime water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Nope. Worse than that... okra SLIME water. (Yum!) I think the lime would be better... :)

      Delete
  10. I'm glad to hear the radiation is almost over. Prayers!

    I'll have to remember the coffee tip. My son told me that eating local honey is an even better way to build our immunities to things in our area because its formualated from flowers exposed to what we're exposed to. I asked him where he heard this and he said he didn't remember, but it made sense. I need a local honey maker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      Absolutely correct about the honey! (Your son's a smart cookie!)

      Delete
  11. Excellent tips! I've tried the coffee-before-nap trick, which keeps me from falling into a deep sleep from which I emerge groggy and cranky. I'll take my slime water in the form of gumbo, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post again, friend Sue. I came to Canada in 1982 because I was deeply in love … with my husband, wagon wheels and then my kidlets (1983, 1984,1986). I have long since ditched the sweet wheels, but am still deeply in love with the 4 sweet sunshines in my life. Also wanna say, that I'm glad to read that your husband is doing well :) Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've got those 4 sweet sunshines in your life. (It gets COLD where you are... you need the extra warmth!)

      Thanks, cat.

      Delete
  13. Yeah, I tried to tell some the acid/teeth one, but they didn't believe me. Never knew a dab of honey would work, guess one doesn't have to waste the liquor, huh? lol Screw the antibacterial crap too for handsoap, just a way for companies to up the price.

    Great pic of you and the kiddos. As for the slimy, snot water, no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, most of us were told as children that we should brush after every meal, but as smarties like you already know, doing it right away isn't always best.

      I dunno if companies got into the antibacterial stuff to make money, because it doesn't cost any more than the regular soaps. Nowadays, the craze has gotten out of hand, though, and just about every product boasts of its ability to kill germs. The trend has undoubtedly led to the spread of resistant super germs.

      Thanks. :) I'm not even a little surprised that you aren't enticed by the slime water...

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it just creates the super bugs. And then when they say they kill 99.99% of germs, no matter the germ that it doesn't kill, "oh that's in the 00.01% Pffft.

      It might not cost more, but maybe it costs less to produce and therefore they make more of a profit? Or they just got on the craze to sell more stuff.

      Delete
  14. Good stuff, Susan! I'm presently in denial about anything containing the words 'exercise' or 'slime.' On the other hand, I'm really intrigued about the black pepper being used on cuts; the other morning my bathroom counters looked like the aftermath of a crime-scene. (And I'm only allowed to use blunt-end scissors from now on. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Exercise isn't very high on my list right now, either. And slime? That's what I used to like looking at under the microscope. Drink it? Not so much.

      Oopsie. Maybe you'd better keep a pepper shaker in the bathroom, eh? (Might spice things up. HA)

      Delete
  15. I lost interest in slime water just by reading about it here. anything at all with slime in the name is not getting anywhere near my mouth. I don't know how long it takes to sing happy birthday, but I do soap up and scrub properly, the wrinkled dry skin on my hands is proof. All that brushing-too-soon is probably the cause of at least half my teeth problems. I don't do it anymore, but I did for several years, because I hate the feeling of food in my teeth. Now I've discovered floss.
    And....drum roll...no mildew under my saggy boobs. They get a small swipe of antiperspirant right after I do my armpits, it helps a lot to prevent sweating and rashes, especially if a person is a heavy sweater as I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. Maybe I should've called it okra water? (But it'd STILL be slimy!)

      Using antiperspirant under the ol' boobs sounds like a great idea. I just put talcum powder under there after my shower. Thanks for the tip. :)

      Delete
    2. I do the crease under the belly overhang too.

      Delete
  16. Glad things are going well for Smarticus. Hang in there, both of you!

    And I used to love Wagon Wheels as a kid. As an adult, I've always been puzzled by how much smaller they seem to be than I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ian. We're hanging!

      Isn't that the way? Everything seemed larger when we were kids...

      Delete
  17. Okay... I did not know a lot of these facts.

    I feel educated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So late as always but I keep chugging along.
    The slimy drink got me ! ! ! happy to hear Smarticus is going well.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such thing as being late! Whenever you can show up is just right. :)

      Delete
  19. Sweet photo of you and your granddaughters. Thanks for the health tips. Most of them are new to me. I think I'll pass on the slime water. Ha! Thinking of you and Smarticus as he goes through treatment. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our girls are definitely cuties.

      Thanks. We had a quieter Thanksgiving than usual, but we enjoyed it. Lots to be thankful for. I hope your family had a super day, too.

      Delete