Friday, March 13, 2020

Gratitude

Thought for the day:  Gratitude is an attitude. [Dr. Laura]

Smarticus and I mostly stay happy, but I don't think it has anything to do with retirement... although being retired does merit a bunch of fist bumps and heartfelt yippees. (I honestly don't understand those people who hate retirement... we think it's GRRRRREAT!)

I think maybe being grateful has a lot to do with being happy, ya know? You know how some people wake up in the morning like they need a jump-start... with a industrial strength pot of coffee, or maybe a souped-up car battery? You could say their brains are just kinda warming up and operating with the wattage of a sweet little night light first thing in the morning. Me? When I wake up, it's more like every light in the house has been turned on at once... on high ... and a band is playing a jig in the background. Okay, not a jig. This is going to sound over-the-top corny, but that's okay. I'll admit to being a corny nerd. Anyhow, first thing every morning, a song goes through my mind... and the words set my mood for the day: This is the day, this is the day. This is the day that the Lord has made, that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice, let us rejoice, and be glad in it, and be glad in it. Yeah, I know. Not exactly fancy lyrics, but the tune is bouncy and the message is a reminder to be grateful.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive — to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to live — then make that day count. [Steve Maraboli]

And I have even more reasons than usual to be grateful now. One GREAT BIG AMAZING reason.

Smarticus' lung cancer is G-O-N-E, GONE!!! Just typing those words makes me cry all over again. But it's a good cry, a really really good cry.

His oncologists are rather amazed, actually. Amazed that he suffered next to no side effects from the chemo and radiation, and amazed that he conquered the vile beast called lung cancer.

I'm grateful... but not amazed. Positive thinking made me believe, all along, that this would be the outcome. So that's one huge hurdle cleared, and a couple more to go. Monday, he'll be starting the first of ten rounds of radiation for brain cancer. Just between you and me, I know he's gonna kick its butt, too. But just in case I don't post for a couple of weeks, I want you to know all is well, and...






                                                          WE'RE VERRRRY HAPPY!!!

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. [Melody Beattie]

Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting most of you in person, I don't consider you strangers. I think of you as friends. My blogging pals. And I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your kind thoughts, wishes, words, and prayers. Your support has been dynamite.

A quick aside. If you smoke, or if you stopped smoking in recent years, (Congratulations!) I highly recommend an annual CAT scan to keep an eye on your lungs. By the time a person shows symptoms of lung cancer, or it can be seen on a standard chest X-ray, it may be too advanced. Smarticus' lung cancer was caught very early, and he was completely asymptomatic. The once-a-year lung cancer screening program he was in... saved his life. His docs praised our positive attitudes, but that SCAN... I can't say enough good things about that scan, and about the doctor who got him into that screening  program. Okay. End of my PSA.




Okay, so maybe our cats aren't exactly demonstrative about their gratitude... but that doesn't mean we should wait. Having appreciation and  not expressing it is like having a beautifully wrapped gift and not opening it.


That's the way it seems sometimes, isn't it? Everybody's got a beef about something or another. Why not think of something that makes you... happy? That makes you smile, feel good, and feel downright grateful.


I wanted to close this post with a music video. At first, I thought about This is the Day, but nah. I'm feeling so full of joy, I decided Ode to Joy would be a better choice. Most of you are quite familiar with Beethoven's original arrangement, but this one is a little different. More... ragtime. Upbeat. Bubbling over with joy... just like me. I hope you like it. I think it's rather amazing. Just like this day. And this life.




                                       Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

        Don't miss today's sunshine  worrying about rain that might be coming tomorrow. 

55 comments:

  1. Dear Susan and Smarticus, Best news ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Geo says, Best News Ever :)
    One down and one to be knocked down.
    love the music clip, boy those fingers can move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. Thanks. :)

      Actually, two more to knock down, but the second is more of a six-week prophylactic treatment (with weakened TB infusions, if you can believe that!) to keep the bladder cancer from coming back.

      I know! Hard to keep from tapping your toes to that music. I sure wish my fingers could move that quickly. :)

      Delete
  3. That is wonderful, wonderful news. My sentimental self is leaking a few happy tears with you.
    I hope the next one goes as smoothly. And will continue to hold you in my heart.
    Gratitude is a gift which keeps on giving isn't it? And giving. And giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your happy tears are most appreciated. :)

      Yes! I truly believe gratitude is the key to a happy life.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Susan - that is FANTASTIC news!! Your good tidings have restored my faith in God and humanity (which, I'll admit, have been seriously waning lately).
    If I was there with you and Smarticus I'd join you in a Happy Dance. Perhaps I'll do one anyway....just to bewilder my cats.

    Keep those positive thoughts and keep us posted. Love and prayers to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. The thought of you doing a happy dance in your cowboy boots with your cats watching put a fresh smile on my face. :)

      Will do.

      Delete
    2. Susan - thanks for your recent comment on my blog. Yes, I did watch the Ode to Jot video and it's amazing - really breathtaking. I think he plays better than Fats Waller.

      Yes, I've played ragtime - and performed a lot of Scott Joplin's compositions. I'll have to post some in the (hopefully) near future.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you liked it. I think he's amazing, too. As much as I admire Beethoven, I never would've thought I would've liked such an unusual arrangement, but I love it!

      Yes, please! I'd love to hear you play some Joplin music. :)

      Delete
  5. So happy to hear your wonderful news, what a joy! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady. You have a wonderful weekend, too. Hugs right back atcha.

      Delete
  6. Continued prayers he beats it again! With a positive attitude and our loving God, he will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are happy and you know it, clap your hands....
    Ode to Joy and more. This is one of your best posts ever since it's filled with such good news and your positive, upbeat tone. Keep smiling, clapping, and shed those happy tears. Take good care in this crazy world and wash those clapping hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! How did you know? "If You're Happy and You Know It" was one of the biggie songs I sang with the Sunday school kiddies when I was our church's singing troubadour. :)

      Thank you. Sometimes the happy just bubbles over, ya know?

      You take care, too. If you insist on flying to PA, please sit in a window seat and turn off the air circulating gizmo. :)

      Delete
  8. Love this happy post, love the good news, love your attitude, love the piano man, and love waking up to something so very positive. We could all use some of your joie de vivre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Help yourself to all the joie de vivre you want. I've got lots to spare... :)

      Delete
  9. YEH!!!!! :)

    Thank you for this wonderful reminder to be grateful and that having a positive attitude is the way to go.

    Will keep sending those good thoughts and prayers your way....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unbidden, but happy tears! Who says miracles don't happen?! Pshaw.
    And that ragtime rendition? I didn't even recognize it as Ode to Joy! I see you and raise you "Miracle of Miracles" (Fiddler on the Roof). *smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly never said miracles don't happen. I think they happen every day. :)

      You have to listen pretty closely to pick up some of the melody to "Ode to Joy" in that arrangement, but it's there.

      Ooooh... "Miracle of Miracles" is another good one. :)

      Have a super weekend.

      Delete
  11. It's not grateful people that are happy it its happy people that are grateful

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very happy for your husband and you:) Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huzzah! I'm so glad your husband is clear of cancer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well... not entirely clear, but at least the lungs are good. :)

      Delete
  14. That is awesome news indeed. Now kick the crap out of the other one too.

    Can't see why anyone wouldn't like retirement. I'll take it now lol great to make people aware to get their lungs checked too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's the plan. :)

      I KNOW! Nuts, isn't it? But quite a few of our friends got so "bored" with retirement, they got jobs!

      Delete
  15. I'm so happy for you two. Congratulations. Between God, the two of you, and medical professionals, may the rest of it be gone soon. I already sang your song today. I sing it just about everyday. The Sunday School songs are the best. Not fancy and not morose. Let's be glad!

    Much love to you both,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      I love that you sing that song almost every day. Great minds (and happy hearts) do think alike!

      Delete
  16. Love it, and you! You always manage to make me smile! I dedicate my day and that beautiful picture of the sunrise I took to you! I'll send it via email.
    Have the most beautiful day ever!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweet lady. Those sunrise pics are absolutely GORGEOUS! So far, our day is beautiful. WITH sunshine!

      Delete
  17. so glad i stopped by — HOORAYYYY for Smarticus!! (that’s my favorite “honey” term yet!) thank you for sharing the joy and so happy for you both!

    also wanted to say thanks for stopping by my Beast World campaign at Alex’s

    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  18. The word GONE has never looked or sounded so wonderful !
    So happy for you and Smarticus.
    I have been using the "I'm Alive" when some friends call and ask how are you ? I use the Young Franklin voice sorta when I can. Works for me.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, :)

      My favorite response to the "How are you doing?" question is, "Still kicking, but not too high."

      Delete
  19. That's fantastic news, Susan, I'm so happy for the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A strong pot of coffee and a battery that works are things to be thankful for... the news the cancer is gone is fantastic and should be shouted from your rooftop (but don't fall off the ladder).

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty good on a ladder, but I dunno about our roof. It's metal. Judging by the way the squirrels skid across it at times, I suspect it's a little too slippery for an old gal like me. :)

      Delete
  21. Oh happy, happy dance time!!! I will cry happy tears with you, my friend, cause you're right- I do count my bloggy friends as some of my best friends and hugest blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady. :) The more we hunker down in our own little world in the house, the more I appreciate being able to connect with bloggers. Y'all are great!

      Delete
  22. Wonderful news Susan! I am a very positive person and a great believer in the power of positive thought and action. When our six-year-old grandson had a lymphoma nine years ago, the other three grandparents were understandably sick with worry during his four months in hospital and could not understand why I was so laid back. I just did not see the point of being negative. He made a fabulous full recovery and just had his last annual check-up. 100% OK!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s absentmindedly adroit Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds really do think alike, eh? Negativity has NEVER made things better for anyone. It doubles the misery during times of stress and doesn't do a darned thing to change the eventual outcome. Positive thoughts all the way!

      I'm absolutely thrilled for your grandson... and for your whole family. :)

      Delete
  23. I'm so happy for the both of you for this wonderful news! Positive thinking can make all the difference. I'll be thinking of you during this next round.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Friday the 13th - always been lucky for me ... oh oh I'm so, so pleased for you - no wonder you're so delighted ...

    Good luck now with the rest of the treatments - your attitude will carry you along and I'm sure out the other side - take care and look after both of you ... such excellent news - cheers, cheers and more cheers - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friday the 13th has always been good for me, too. :)

      Thank you, dear lady. Today is day #8 of the brain radiation... only 2 more to go! Whole lotta cheers back atcha!

      Delete