Friday, November 21, 2014

Immortal Humor

Thought for the day:  Running a cemetery is just like being President: you got a lot of people under you, and nobody's listening.  [Bill Clinton]

Oakland Cemetery, Atlanta, GA {Wikipedia]
It isn't my fault. Really. It isn't. I neeeeever would have thought about writing such a weird post as this one is gonna be if it hadn't been for that darned article in the newspaper. Then again, maybe I would have. It has been said that I do occasionally suffer from bouts of sick inappropriate humor.

Anyhow, the article. It was a little bitty filler piece about this year's Atlanta Regional Commission's Developments of Excellence Award, which for the last fifteen years has been presented annually to the location deemed tops in the metro area for livability and sustainability, and for serving as a regional model for future growth. Sounds nice, right? Well, would you believe in this, its sixteenth year, the award was presented to... a cemetery? (Oooh, dontcha know, that had to have ticked off some of those big shot fancy pants developers.)
[Wikipedia]

Now, don't get me wrong. Oakland Cemetery is a very nice cemetery, as far as cemeteries go. Lots of historical figures and famous people buried there... like famed golfer Bobby Jones, and author Margaret Mitchell (Marsh). Lots of really neat statues and such, too. And it's OLD... It was founded in 1850, so there are some really interesting old markers.

But does any of that equate to livability??? I mean, it's not like people are exactly dying to move into the place.

Oh shut up. You know what I mean. (hehe)

early 1900 postcard [wikimedia commons]

It isn't like people send postcards from the cemetery and tell everyone, Miss you. Wish you were here... 

or Please stop by, and have a nice stiff drink with me. (Or maybe a tall cold one?)

Then again, maybe some people, some people with a sick inappropriate sense of humor would do something that over the top...

[Morguefile]
Somebody really really cool like Bob McCully, Pittsburgh's long-time wagster, satirical writer, producer, and top of the crop ad man. The Christmas cards he created every year always featured his unique brand of dark humor, but his family and friends never expected anything like the one they got from the 88-year-old in 2011. Because, you see, he was already dead. He died that August, and most dead men don't send greetings from the grave. But he wasn't like most men; he wanted to get one more laugh.

Thanks to a co-conspirator relative, four hundred people received one last memorable Christmas card from McCully that pictured him on the front, sitting in an office, talking on a telephone, along with the words, Hello, please don't call. I recently moved to a quiet neighborhood. And on the inside, it shows the gates to the Allegheny cemetery, his tombstone, and the words, My new place doesn't have a phone, and our gates close after dark. 

What a guy.

[Night of the Living Dead- wikipedia]
Okay, so maybe that doesn't tickle your funny bone. Personally, I'd love to pull off something like that, but I can understand how the idea of reaching out from the grave might not be everybody's idea of fun. On the other hand, a lot of people who might not appreciate this kinda humor are fascinated by zombies. Whew. Not me. All that brain-eating is too hard for me to swallow. Maybe if they sipped tea and ate cucumber sandwiches or something, I'd feel a little better about them. And I think they should pick up after themselves, too. All those body parts left lying around is totally unacceptable. I'll bet their mamas taught them better than that.

[wikipedia]
So, if not the walking dead, how about the sitting, standing, motorcycling, or kayaking dead?

Yep, that seems to be the new trend. Instead of being laid out in a coffin, some people are opting to be... posed, so they can make their grand exit doing something they love. A lady in New Orleans was staged sitting at a table with a can of Busch beer in one hand and a menthol cigarette in the other. A Puerto Rican boxer stood in a boxing stance... wearing his boxing gloves, trunks, and hooded robe. There are lots more examples; there are even quite a few images to be found online, if you're curious. I chose not to post any of those pictures. (See? I have some class.)

                                                    But I will post this video...


Kinda made me wonder how I might like to be posed. Reading a book? Sitting at the computer? Singing a song and dancing the fandango? Nah. How about taking a nap? In a coffin...

[Morguefile]
Actually, I don't want a coffin, either. Like many others have chosen, I'm going with cremation. We've prepaid, and cheap frugal person that I am, since I'm a universal donor, I'm kinda hoping Smarticus might even get a rebate.

But ya know what would reeeeally be cool? There's a company in Alabama called Holy Smoke, and you know what they do? Mix cremains with gunpowder and then use it to pack shotgun shells or rifle cartridges. Then, Smarticus could take me to the shooting range with him one last time. Talk about going out with a bang...

[Morguefile]

Okay, I'll stop now. I hope I haven't offended anyone. Like everyone else, I've lost many dear friends and family members over the years, and of course, I grieve for them. It's hard to let go of the people we love, and we miss them terribly. Being without them leaves an empty spot in our lives that nothing or no one else can fill.  But I don't think death should be a taboo subject or free from humor. Nor is it something I fear.

Nothing to fear. Rabindranath Tagore put it so very beautifully: Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come. 

I plan on burning the lamp as long as possible, but always remember: there's joy in the morning. 

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross said, I've told my children that when I die, to release balloons in the sky to celebrate that I graduated. To me, death is a graduation. 

Sounds good to me. As long as we don't have to wear one of those stupid tasseled mortarboards.

Well, next Thursday is Thanksgiving. To all of you fine folks in the U.S., I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving. To all of you fine folks outside of the U.S., I wish you a very happy Thursday. Not sure if I'll be posting next Friday or not. If not, don't worry about me. It'll just mean I'm still digesting.

                                 Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.



For those of you who've been with me for the past few Thanksgivings, you didn't think you were gonna get away without having to read my stupid poem again, didja? (Sorry... no such luck, although I did make a teensy update. HAPPY THANKSGIVING, y'all!)

                                                   There once was a turkey named Jake,
                                                   Said, "How much must we poor turkeys take?
                                                   When Thanksgiving comes 'round,
                                                   We must go underground;
                                                   Why can't all those people eat STEAK?!"

                                                   Now, turkeys may not be so pretty,
                                                   Can't fly, and aren't very witty,
                                                   But with a leader like Jake, 
                                                   A chance they might take,
                                                   So a bunch of them left for the city.

                                                   Jake led a big march on D.C.
                                                  (The IN place for protests, you see)
                                                  "We don't want any fights.
                                                  But we, too, should have rights,
                                                  For this is the land of the free!"

                                                  Boehner came out on the green
                                                  With the most turkeys I've ever seen, 
                                                           (Outside of Congress)
                                                   Said, "The issue is not at all murky ...
                                                   Rights are for MAN and not TURKEY;
                                                   That's the way that it always has been."

                                                  Thanksgiving is special in the U.S. of A.
                                                  And turkeys are heroes, I'd like to say.
                                                  So thank the next turkey you meet on the street
                                                  For being so terribly tasty to eat
                                                  And have a great Thanksgiving Day!

92 comments:

  1. 'It has been said that I do occasionally suffer from bouts of sick inappropriate humor.'

    :)

    After that heady ride, Tagore's quote really moved me. (And thank you so much for not posting some of those pictures ...)

    Happy Thanksgiving, dear girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, kiddo. May all the humor around your table be appropriate. (I can pretty much guarantee our family's won't be.)

      Delete
    2. Inappropriate humor is the BEST kind!!

      Delete
  2. I like the Kubler-Ross quote and have decided Elgar's "Pomp And Circumstance would make a fine funeral march.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Pomp and Circumstance" would be a super funeral march, but I'm leaning toward "So Long, It's Been Good to Know Ya..."

      Delete
  3. I am also the (proud) possessor of an occasionally sick and inappropriate sense of humour.
    And I loved that last ride. Any funeral where laughter mingles with the tears is a good funeral.
    I am hoping for an eco-funeral. So coffin, no embalming, no headstone. I would like a tree planted above me, and with luck birds will shelter in it.
    And yes, the Kubler-Ross quote is definitely a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super! Since laughing is like exercise for our insides, those of us with the ability to appreciate the humor to be found in "inappropriate" circumstances must be in better shape than the sourpusses of the world. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!)

      I like the idea of an eco-funeral, especially with a bird-filled tree in the equation. I think I'd like my ashes either to be dumped into the ocean, (or some water, other than a piddly mud puddle) or used to fertilize the garden.

      Delete
  4. Atlanta's always trying to be different. Just wanted to let you know that I'm not dead yet. Not yet. Been busy having too much fun but starting to miss my blogger family. Hope all is well Susan.

    Carlton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different. Yes, that's a very diplomatic way to put it.

      Well, it's great to hear from you again, Mr. C! "Having too much fun" is the very best reason to be absent from the blogosphere. All is well here, and I hope all is well on your end, too.

      Delete
  5. I love McCully's idea of a post-mortem Christmas card. Not sure anyone would do that for me though. Zombies? I can do without them. Nasty! I've thought of donating some parts of me but what could they possibly want from someone as old as I am? Bones perhaps or tissue? Will look into that. I want the cheapest cremation I can find as too much money is wasted on lavish funerals when the deceased knows nothing about it and words are said that should have been said when that person was alive.
    I really enjoyed this post and got some great laughs out of it.
    Not sure why a cemetery would be chosen a a Developments Award but perhaps there was some humour involved in that choice?
    Not sure death is a graduation.....to what is my question?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if anyone would help me pull off a post-mortem greeting card, either, darn it, but it tickles me just to think about it.

      I don't know if any of my parts will be of any value when I die, but I figure the docs can sort it out when the time comes.

      I agree! I do NOT want money wasted on me after I'm gone. Wanta give me flowers? Do it now, while I can still smell them.

      I'm glad you enjoyed this post. Really. I was a little concerned it might offend some people. So far, so good. (Or maybe those who ARE offended simply won't comment...)

      Delete
  6. I want no sad songs for me when I leave this world. I do not want a funeral, just a party, and lots of funny stories. I want to be remembered with a smile and as they say in show business, "Leave them laughing". A good old Irish wake with fine wine and cinnabons is the my way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! No dirges or funeral for this ol' gal, either. And if there are any tears shed, I want them to be from laughing too hard.

      Delete
  7. I agree that we should talk about death more, or at least, not be afraid to talk about it. And I think it's hilarious that McCully managed to send his relatives one last xmas card :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Too many people refuse to talk about death, as though ignoring it will make it go away.

      McCully's last Christmas card got a lot of coverage in the news... like a last return to the stage and final bow.

      Delete
  8. The cat doesn't fear death and yapped about it a time or two, but posed? hahahaha what egos some people have even when they are dead. When I croak, burn me, stick me in some plastic can, then chuck my ashes outdoors or use them as kitty litter, I'm dead, what do I care lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Yeah I like the way you think, but ashes make pretty lousy cat litter.

      Delete
  9. I loved this post. Does that make me morbid???? Ah well, I can live with it either way.

    I've never heard about that place that mixes a person's ashes with gunpowder, but now I'm thinking I might investigate that. I would love my remaining family members to honor me that way. Out with a bang!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you liked the post. No, that doesn't make you morbid at all. It takes a special kind of brilliance to develop such a keenly honed sense of humor as ours.

      Yeah, check it out. Just think: a lifelong hunter could go on one last hunt with his buddies...

      Delete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!
    gobble...gobble :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little humour at the grave side is a good thing. Enjoy your Thanksgiving turkey dinner...gobble til you wobble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think a little humor goes well just about anywhere.

      Thanks. Oops, I may be in trouble... I already wobble a bit, and I haven't even bought the turkey yet.

      Delete
  12. That was a great post. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving (and eat whatever you want!). <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. You have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving, too. Ooooh, whatever I want? (I reckon the rest of the family would frown on tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich...)

      Delete
  13. yes, you are a tad sick, but in a good way. Look how many dead people manage to get elected. So why shouldn't a cemetery win an award. Funny. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Stay happy and healthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you. Thank you very much. (Only a TAD?)

      Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, too

      Delete
  14. I've often thought about Kubler-Ross and what it was like to have a career built on death and dying—literally (as I recall, that was the title of her book). I want no celebration when I shuffle off this mortal coil. I want to be remembered for how I lived, not how I passed. And if there's no inappropriate humor in those memories, then I did not live well enough.

    And in a complete non-sequiter:
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kubler-Ross was way ahead of her time. Her book made death a more acceptable topic of discussion, and her stages of grief helped us realize the universality of the process.

      May there be lots of inappropriate humor in your life. (Stick with me, kid!)

      Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete
  15. Congratulations to Oakland Cemetery — the site of many grave undertakings. (Did you know, btw, that the English translation of the French word entrepreneur is "undertaker"? Well, now you know.

    And, yes, cremation, paid for already, is "a hot way to go." We're both doing that. Or having it done to us.

    Happy Thanksgiving! We celebrated in early October. Proving, once again, that Canadians are ahead of Americans.

    Blessings and Bear hugs, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! "Grave undertakings"... good one!

      Oh, how cool. Since I studied French for so many years, I SHOULD have realized that, but I didn't. Thanks for the lesson.

      Yep, cremation is my last chance to have a hot body.

      Okay, so you guys are ahead of us in some ways. Plus, you get to see the aurora borealis! That, in itself, puts you light years ahead of us!

      Delete
  16. Hi Susan .. gosh I laughed through this .. I do have a similar sense of humour .. can be disastrous ... my mother and I had some hilarious mental escapades when she was ill ... one time we laughed so much the nurses came rushing as they'd no idea what was going on ... we were both in hysterics ...

    Some people are very irreverant ..but a good party is a great idea ...we did good for my mother and a good pub lunch afterwards ... very Cornish and her kind of foods ...

    I've known people blasted into the sky in a firework .. they were probably cremated first though!!

    Have a great thanks giving .. and perhaps you're giving the Turkey a rest and having steak ... still have fun .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Hilary! Oh, I'm so glad this stuff tickles your funny bone, too. My best pal and I were out to lunch recently, and we were laughing so hard, it's a wonder they didn't kick us out of the restaurant. Little did they know, we were talking about our medical problems...

      Fireworks! Now, that's REALLY going out with a bang... and lots of flash. (Let's HOPE the people are cremated first!)

      Thanks. It'll be a traditional turkey dinner with all the fixings for us.

      Cheers! And a very happy weekend to you.

      Delete
  17. wahahahahahahahha...
    Great post today. I hope whatever home you will be celebrating Thanksgiving in you will recite that poem before dinner !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So glad it made ya laugh.

      Cheers back at ya, and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

      Delete
  18. I'm not offended. I always learn something new and strange from you. I would like my kids to throw me in the backyard, soak me with gasoline, and throw a match at me--preferably after I'm dead. I don't want a funeral, don't want to be buried, don't want anything done with my ashes except throw them out. Or toss me in the backyard under the rose bush.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew. I'm glad you weren't offended. (Must have Janie's Seal of Approval!)

      HA! Definitely, AFTER death on the bonfire thing. Years ago, our younger son said we should have me stuffed after I die, so I could be the "resident couch potato." I tell ya, no respect. (HA! That's my boy!)

      Happy weekend!

      Delete
    2. I wonder if your son can find a taxidermist who will do that job.

      Delete
  19. I am rolling on the floor laughing at the idea of an award for "livability and sustainability, and for serving as a regional model for future growth" going to a cemetery. SO MANY jokes go along with that, most of which you've covered, and they also gave me a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you find the absurdity of that award as funny as I do. When I saw that article in the paper, I could NOT let it go without making fun of it.

      Delete
  20. First of all, the post. I laughed my head off, The only reason I can think for the prize is that there are never any complaints coming fromt he cemetery (sorry, I just had to get THAT one in! :-D)

    The poem. A beauty. I laughed my head off and then, some more.

    Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so terribly reassured to know I'm not the only one who thinks this kinda stuff is funny. Inappropriate humor rules!

      Yeah, no complaints... yet. But ya never know...

      Greetings back atcha.

      Delete
  21. Greetings human, Susan,

    I was going to literally laugh my doggy head off. Of course, if I did that, I wouldn't be able to comment.

    Another fine, rambling pawst that took some undertaking with grave results that I can dig.

    And yes, Thanksgiving already happened, eh. Still, y'all have a good one. One month before Boxing Day Eve. What's wrong with you people? LOL

    Pawsitive wishes,

    Penny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, dog Penny.

      How pawsitively wonderful to hear from you. I'm glad you kept your head so you could write a comment. Very punny, Penny. You've been learning from Gary, eh? Tell him I said hello, and I hope both of you have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  22. I find cemeteries to be peaceful places. Oh, and I am kind of morbid.

    I'm opting for cremation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cemeteries are peaceful, but I don't much like to visit them. I'd rather spend time with my friends while they're still breathing.

      Delete
  23. I like that idea of going out with a bang!
    I'm leaving my body to the medical university, they can slice and dice to their hearts content and hopefully learn stuff from what's left of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of donating one's body for medical research, too. It's a great way to make a difference.

      Delete
  24. Love the Tagore quote :-) Death is not taboo here, it's only sad because we miss people (and our cat, recently interred in the back garden). My step-siblings lost their mother earlier this year (unexpected swift cancer) and they put some of her ashes into a firework which was an amazing memorial. Big sparkles over the ocean- now that's a finale! I think I should like to be under a tree :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too That's one of my favorite quotes.

      I love the idea of having cremains put into fireworks. Makes me feel a little teary-eyed just to think about watching someone go out in such a blaze of glory. (Oooh, wouldn't it be neat go out as one of those smiley face fireworks?!)

      Delete
  25. Oh Susan, the older I get the less I fear death, not that I want to die... it is just a part of this life... I think it good to have a little fun and break up the tension a bit as losing someone is incredibly difficult.

    I do not want a funeral but I am hoping people will gather and talk about the good things and laugh at the funny things... then I want to be cremated.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good healthy attitude.

      And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, too!

      Delete
  26. I love walking through cemeteries, exploring the stones, the sayings, the quiet beauty. Weird, I suppose, but I actually follow a writer/blogger who is writing a book about the unique gravestones he sees...as he attempts to find the ultimate epitaph. http://halfanhouraday.blogspot.com/

    Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents used to like to walk through cemeteries, too. There were a lot of them within a short distance of where we lived, and the three of us would walk meander through them in the evenings.

      Now, that's interesting.There are some very unique engravings on some of the older stones. Some are even funny.

      And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, too, Liza.

      Delete
  27. Good post. I've always been kind of a "death person." What good is life without death? Love the humor of the Christmas Card guy and some narcissists are narcissists right to the end, as in the story of the motorcycle guiy.
    I like the poem about Jake and I don't mean the "State Farm Jake."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I don't know if I'd call myself a "death person," but I learned a long time ago that death is the price we pay for living. Might as well accept it, and find whatever humor we can in the situation.

      I hadn't really thought of the guy on the motorcycle as being a narcissist, but maybe you're right.

      Delete
  28. Well that guy was really a card! hahaha *snort* *Chortle* :) Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Yeah, he was a ... card.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, too.

      Delete
  29. Great idea having your hubby take your remains to the shooting range with him! I also love the Christmas card story! I agree that it's good to laugh about these things! Glad to see your Thanksgiving poem again. Wishing you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving, Susan!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, maybe he could even use my cremains-stuffed ammo to create a smiley face on the target...

      I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too.

      Delete
  30. Not sure if I'd be sad and melancholy or laughing about receiving a Christmas card from someone who had died. I guess it would depend on how close I was to the person...

    Love your sense of humor! I know I want to get back to Key West sometime - last time we were there, I missed out on going to the cemetery. There is a gravestone with the inscription, "I told you I was sick."

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Smarticus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a post-mortem card would make me laugh AND cry. Hopefully, the laughs would win out overall.

      I'm not positive, but I think that "I told you I was sick" tombstone engraving was fairly common. And funny as heck. Another good one was for a woman named Mann. Can't remember her first name off-hand, but her stone read, "Here lies XXX Mann, Who lived an old maid, and died an old Mann."

      Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete
  31. SUSAN ~
    I really liked your poem. It wasn't a turkey at all!

    My Pa was a horse-player and spent a lot of his free time at race tracks. We knew he wanted to be cremated when he passed on, but that was the only instruction. Before we got the ashes back, I got the idea to have them spread in the Winner's Circle at Turf Paradise (could there be a better name?) here in Phoenix.

    My Ma loved the idea and even instructed us to do the same with her when her time came (which we did). She joined him in (Turf) Paradise for eternity.

    I later heard that there was a little grumbling from someone in the extended family who apparently didn't think the Winner's Circle was a proper burial site. (You can just imagine how distraught I was to learn that someone didn't approve.)

    I gotta say though - although I love Black Comedy and can get pretty far out myself - the dead man being paraded through town on his motorcycle was even a bit too much for me. No problem if he wanted to be buried on his bike - I don't object to that. But driving him through town, visible through the Plexiglas... uh. A little over-the-top macabre, especially for someone who might not have chosen to see that through the donut shop windows or whatever.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think putting your parents' ashes in Winner's Circle was an awesome idea. Phooey on anyone who didn't "approve."

      That old guy who was paraded around town on his bike was a little strange, but it didn't bother me. Might have freaked out some kiddies who happened to see it, though. (Or some donut-nibblers.)

      Delete
  32. Oh, it's gonna take way more than that to offend either of us. What else have you got?

    Hmmm, I can't ride a motorcycle... can someone parade my dead body around on a bike with training wheels?

    Also, on a serious note, one of my former coworkers had her father's ashes turned into a diamond ring. Not really something I'd want to do, but an interesting and unique idea nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, jeez, I didn't expect to offend youse guys...

      A diamond ring, huh? Different. I never heard of anyone doing that before. It's definitely unique.

      Why a bicycle? How about going for a unicycle? That'd really be unique.

      Delete
  33. Thanks for all the laughs today! I like your idea of organ donation and cremation. I'd like to go that route and have my ashes fertilize a tree. I'd like to feel like I'm being useful. :D
    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me, too. Even if I'm not terribly "useful" now, it's nice to think I could have a positive impact on someone's life (or garden) after I'm gone.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete
  34. Having my ashes spread over the marsh around Pawleys Island and get reintroduced to the biosphere, South Carolina. Nothing weird about that except when I mentioned it in front of a tourist one summer she asked me does that mean the shrimp would eat me. I said yeah, more or less, in some fashion and that I personally knew of ten people who had thair ashes done that way when they passed.

    Long story short, I think I ruined her plans for a shrimp dinner that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan to me.

      Long story short, if that tourist thought too much about what shrimp eat, she might never eat a shrimp dinner again.

      Delete
  35. I for one find that a sick and sometimes inappropriate sense of humor makes life interesting and gives a much needed occasional moment of laughter amidst chaos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I do. Break up the chaos with a much-needed laugh. Not inappropriate at all...

      Delete
  36. OMG "miss you, wish youbwere here" hahaha I don't want to imagine my grannies sending me a postcard from their quiet neighborhood, I mean I do miss them but...you know, I'm kinda fine in my crazy neighborhood as for now.

    Sick humour - isn't it the humour of new age? I've been hearing different versions around.

    I didn't use to like talks about death, cemeteries and coffins, I still don't but what I mean is it's actually ok to talk 'bout these things. Humour made it easy.

    Another very enjoyable post. Hace a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this post tickled your funny bone. I know what ya mean about not being in any hurry to move to that "quiet neighborhood."

      I don't know if sick humor is new age-y or not. I've been inappropriate for about sixty years now, so at least for me, sick humor isn't new anything...

      Thanks.

      Delete
  37. Erratum: "Have" (sometimes my tab gets so independent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers are dyslexic, especially when I type too fast.

      Delete
  38. Enjoyed the post. Loved the poem. Very nice. First time I've read it. Always like what you write. Take care. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Barb! It's good to hear from yoiu.

      And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

      Delete
  39. Mixed with gun powder. Very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Excellent poem, Susan. It's entirely amusing and leads me to wonder if those on capital hill begin eating each other on T-giving - or do they instead go for steak?

    I hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving.
    Love and hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, kiddo. I think the D.C. folks probably stick with steak so no one accuses them of cannibalism.

      I hope you had a super Thanksgiving, too.

      Delete
  41. Loved this post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I read recently about a man who mixed his wife's ashes in fireworks so she'd go out in a blaze of beautiful light.

    I can't help but think at Thanksgiving about our rather ghoulish custom of taking pre-school and kindergarten students on that annual field trip to the turkey farm in November. Think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo HOO! Nothing like going out in a blaze of glory. Not sure about all that noise, though. After I'm gone, the family might prefer a little peace and quiet for a change... HA!

      Yeah, good point, although I don't remember any of our kids or grandkids going to a turkey farm for a field trip. Must be a regional thing.

      Delete
  43. thanks for sharing such interesting post...and the poem was worth reading:))

    ReplyDelete
  44. Shared parts of your post with Mr. H. He had a lot of fun with the Alabama gig. Like my grandmother, I want to go out with clean underwear!

    We're in North Carolina now. Wild Turkey time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! It's great to hear from you again! Welcome back to the blogoshpere and welcome to the loverly southeast.

      Hmmm, keeping our undies clean when making our grand exit is a good aspiration, but the odds ain't too hot. (As some have described it, "First we say it, and then we do it...")

      Delete