Friday, May 26, 2017

Remembering and Remembrance

Thought for the day: Being kind is more important than being right.


I read somewhere that the original reason women carried bouquets of flowers during their wedding ceremonies was to mask unpleasant body odors. Not a terribly romantic notion, but in those days, I reckon bathing was about as rare as a martini bar in the middle of the Sahara.

Still, for whatever reason the tradition started, most brides still carry flowers, no matter how large or small their ceremony may be. Heck, flowers play a part in lots of different occasions.

Like poppies.

Since Lt. Col. John McCrae penned the poem In Flanders Field on May 3, 1915 from a WWI battlefield in Belgium, the poppy has been a symbol of remembrance and is closely associated with Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Today is our country's first National Poppy Day, and going forward, the Friday before Memorial Day will continue to carry this designation. Ever wonder about the significance of the red crepe paper poppies made and distributed to the public by veterans every year? The red represents the blood of those who gave their lives; the black represents mourning; and the green leaf represents regrowth following the devastation of war. Did you know there's even a correct way to wear a remembrance poppy? It should be worn on the left side, closest to the heart, with the leaf positioned at the 11:00 position, in honor of the 11th hour, 11th day, 11th month ending of WWI.

I only intended to write a short intro before sharing the following anniversary re-run, but I guess I got carried away. This past Wednesday was our 48th wedding anniversary, and next Monday is Memorial Day, so this post is in honor of both those occasions. I will always remember our wedding, and we all must honor and have remembrance for those who made the supreme sacrifice. Freedom is not free.

The following was originally posted on May 24, 2013, with the title Still Celebrating. 

It'll probably take me a little longer than usual to respond to your comments, because, ya know, our celebration continues... Forty-eight years. Life is good.

                       Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

*********************************

Thought for the day:  Our wedding was many years ago. The celebration continues to this day. [Gene Perret]


Yeah, our wedding was a few years ago.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.  [Rita Rudner]


Lucky me, I found that one special person at a very young age, and have been annoying the crap out of him ever since. Met him at the scabby-kneed age of twelve. (And married him anyway!) Okay, so we looked a little different when we got married in '69. Yeah, yeah, yeah...  he had hair... I had a waist. Lots of ups and downs since then, too, but one thing that hasn't changed? Our sense of humor. We're still laughing. Still working hard to pull the proverbial applecart in the same direction.

Still loving.

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.  [Mignon McLaughlin]

Of course, if you ask Smarticus how to make a marriage last, he'd probably say what he always says. He says the secret lies in him saying two simple words, whether he means 'em or not: Yes, dear. (He's kind of a smart ass.)

I say a successful marriage requires hardhats, because it's an ongoing project, and never really doneA successful marriage is an edifice that must be rebuilt every day.  [Andre Maurois]

Doggone it, there's no such thing as resting on your laurels when it comes to marriage, is there? Or as Smarticus says, "It only takes one aw sh*t to wipe out two attaboys." (Told ya he's a smart ass.)  Lily Tomlin expressed it a bit more delicately. She said, The road to success is always under construction.  
So maybe a successful marriage isn't something we ever achieve, but if you think about it, that's a good thing, because if we think we've already arrived, we may no longer strive.  Best to keep wearing those hardhats, to keep building that road to success, and to savor every bit of joy and humor we find along the way. Gotta have fun. Gotta laugh.

Talking about fun and laughter, remember Red Skelton? He was a very sweet, very mild-mannered PG-rated comedian. Anyway, he and his wife were married for many, many years, and here's his Recipe for the Perfect Marriage:

  • Two times a week, we go to a nice restaurant, have a little beverage, good food and companionship. She goes on Tuesdays, and I go on Fridays.
  • We also sleep in separate beds. Hers is in California, and mine is in Texas.
  • I take my wife everywhere ... but she keeps finding her way back.
  • I asked my wife where she wanted to go for our anniversary. "Somewhere I haven't been in a long time!" she said. So I suggested the kitchen.
  • We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.
  • She has an electric blender, electric toaster, and electric bread maker. She said, "There are too many gadgets and no place to sit down!" So I bought her an electric chair.
  • My wife told me the car wasn't running well because there was water in the carburetor. I asked where the car was, and she told me, "In the lake."
  • She got a mud pack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.
  • She ran after the garbage truck, yelling, "Am I too late for the garbage?" The driver said, "No, jump in!"
  • Remember. Marriage is the number one cause of divorce.
  • I married Miss Right. I just didn't know her first name was Always.
  • I haven't spoken to my wife in eighteen months. I don't like to interrupt.
  • The last fight was my fault, though. My wife asked, "What's on TV?" and I said, "Dust!"

No telling what we're gonna do over the weekend, but I know it'll be an adventure. When you're married to a smart ass, every day is.






A long marriage is two people trying to dance a duet and two solos at the same time.  [Anne Taylor Fleming]











                                     Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

To those who died, honor and eternal rest; to those still in bondage, remembrance and hope; to those who returned, gratitude and peace.  [words engraved on the Illinois Vietnam veterans memorial]


53 comments:

  1. Freedom is immeasurably costly - and equally valuable.
    Happy anniversary to you and Smarticus, the very best kind of 'work in progress'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Freedom should never be taken for granted.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan - wonderful post ... love the thought for the day "kindness is more important than rightness" - or similar! Brilliant and I'm so happy for you both ... I can see and read the laughter in your stories ... congratulations and just enjoy the Memorial Weekend remembering all the good times - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. None of us can be right all the time, but if we work at it, we can definitely be kind. :)

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  3. I wish I'd known more about how a marriage works. On the other hand, I do like the freedom of being single.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I know about you, I have a feeling you knew how a marriage works, but for things to work successfully, your hubby had to know, too.

      Delete
  4. "A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. [Mignon McLaughlin]"

    I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha smart ass sure works. Have to watch those oh shits though. I'll have to remember the dust and tv one. Never knew that about flowers for a wedding. Oh well, keeps the smell away for the special day. Kinda like how men walk on the outside and women on the inside of the sidewalk, many think it is the man's protective nature, nope. Was so he wouldn't get the shit thrown on him from the overhead windows that people chucked it out of. Just fyi lol

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was originally to protect women's long skirts from mud or slush thrown up by horses hooves and carriage wheels.

      Delete
    2. I've heard both origins for the man-walking-on-the-outside tradition, and I think its roots are part of each. Men would much rather have people think they're protecting the lady, but those gentlemen didn't want to risk being in the path of those dumped slop pots, either.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on 48 years together. Your wedding dress was outstanding and it sounds like you two have made a wonderful marriage as you both know how to make each other laugh. We will be celebrating our 50th in three weeks. Sometimes it seems like yesterday and other times it seems like 51.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifty? AWESOME! I hope you guys have a fantabulous anniversary. It really does seem like yesterday at times, doesn't it? Evi-damned-dently, time really does fly when you're having fun.

      Delete
  7. A successful marriage hinges on your ability to 'not sweat the small stuff'. I did not know there was a correct way to wear a poppy and our Canadian poppies do not have a leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about not sweating the small stuff, but my hubby doesn't follow that train of thought. When he was in Vietnam, sweating the small stuff, being hyper-vigilant and observant about every single thing that happened around him is how he managed to survive. As you can imagine, our differences in attitude required some adjusting for both of us.

      Delete
  8. Totally loved the heart and the humor in this post! I remember learning about the origin of the poppy, but this was an excellent reminder.

    The quotes were all great, but I think my favorite was the last one re what's on TV - dust! :)

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

      We just got back home from visiting our friends in another state, so there's dust on OUR TV, too. (But for now, I'm ignoring it...)

      Delete
  9. My moms wedding photos are on the same kind of bordered square. Some of the few pictures ever I've seen of my dad (he passed when she was expecting me).

    Your picture is awesome. Infantry cord?

    God bless our military men and families. :)

    Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please let me revise...
      Your pictures are awesome. :)

      Have a good long weekend!

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry you never got to know your dad. It makes those old pictures all that much more precious.

      Good eye! Yes, that's an infantry cord. A couple weeks after we were married, he headed to Vietnam.

      Thank you. :)

      Delete
  10. The photo of you two dancing is sweet. Thanks for the poppy information (I wrote poopy first and had to correct it; my mind is on something I found in the living room this morning and I can't figure out who left it there).

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! Most marriages would go nowhere without a sense of humor. Sounds like you've got it figured out what it takes to make a marriage work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've been married 62 years & we still have a lot of laughs in our marriage; mostly now at each other!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That laughter's a good part of why you're still together!

      Delete
  13. Interesting facts on the Remembrance Poppy simple facts that I did not know.

    Happy Anniversary to the both of you, 48 years gives you a lot of good memories and laughs, this is a blessing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was a VERY small child, I think I remember people wearing artificial poppies on Memorial Day. I'm wondering if this is simply another delusion, or m I really that old?

    I've never known any smelly brides - but then again I've never gotten too close....

    Happy Anniversary - - humor is a necessary ingredient to get through life, so I have no doubt that it also works in a successful marriage.
    BTW - those Red Skelton jokes are hilarious.
    Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say "am", not "m" - but you already knew that!

      Delete
    2. Re the "m" I didn't "know", but I made a lucky guess...

      In our area, those artificial poppies are still distributed to and worn by the public on Memorial Day.

      Thanks. We had a super anniversary. Yep, Red Skelton was the best. I can't think of any other comics who were as wholesome and funny as he was.

      Delete
  15. awwwwww what a wonderful post. I miss the Poppies. I never see them being sold anymore. But then I really do not go to many places. There is to be three flyovers during the parade this year. I think I might try to drive somewhere along the route and park my car so I can see it this year.
    Happy Anniversary !
    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      Poppies are still prevalent around here. I hope you were able to see the flyovers.

      Thank you!

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  16. Happy 48th, you two! I'm a year behind (47th, March) in this marriage thing, but starting to get the hang of it. Loved the Skelton quotes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dude. Yeah, we're starting to get the hang of it, too. It takes a lifetime to get it right. :)

      Skelton was the best.

      Delete
  17. Happy Anniversary and Memorial Weekend. 48 years and laughing...that's the way to do it. Here's to a ton more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been married for 35 years ... 3 kids ... Lots of farming to do ... City jobs as well ... and life goes on ... Happy 48th, friend Susan ... smiles ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a very full life, dear cat. And still you have time to write wonderful poetry. :)

      Thank you.

      Delete
  19. Absolutely brilliant post. I still have a long way to go. This year will be our 20th wedding anniversary. :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mario. Twenty years is a wonderful milestone. Congratulations!

      Greetings back atcha.

      Delete
  20. Such a lovely post.
    I wish you a very Happy Anniversary, my congratulations on 48 years together.

    Have a fabulous weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan!

      (We DID have a fabulous weekend. I hope you did, too.)

      Delete
  21. Never knew those factoids about wedding bouquets and poppies before. Fascinating!

    And aw, happy anniversary! That's amazing how you guys have been together for 48 years. Hope you two are enjoying your celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy 48th anniversary, that is wonderful, I hope you two totally enjoy celebrating xox

    I am sorry I haven't been around for a really long time, I had to take a couple of months off from blogging due some terrible pain I was dealing with... I am getting back to myself and catching up with everyone... I missed blogging xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, welcome back, kiddo!

      Thanks. We totally did. :)

      I sure hope the doc is getting that pain under control for you. Blogging has missed you, too.

      Delete
  23. Happy anniversary to you and Smarticus!

    Love the advice from Red Skelton.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You and Smarticus are fortunate indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great post. Back in my youth (and yours, as well), veterans would stand by post office or wherever and hand out paper poppies, and receiving donations.
    We loved Red Skelton, never missed his show. He always ended the show with "God Bless..." at least that is what I remember sorta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Members of the American Legion still raise money by handing out poppies for donations.

      Yes, you're right. He always ended with "God bless." He was one of a kind, and I rarely missed one of his shows, either.

      Delete