Friday, June 23, 2017

Juggling as Fast as I Can

Hi, y'all. I'm not going to take the summer off from blogging, as quite a few others are doing this year, but in order to devote the amount of time I need to edit and polish my WIP, I'm gonna make like a TV network and share (slightly edited) re-runs with you for a while. I know. I HATE reruns on television, and rarely watch them, but I promise to choose posts few, if any, of you will remember, and hopefully, all of you will enjoy. Except for THIS post. This post got a lot of comments, so some of your may remember it, but I think it bears a repeat, anyway. In light of my feeble attempts to juggle writing and blogging, this first post, which originally appeared in August, 2013, as A Fine Balancing Act, strikes me as the perfect place to begin...

******************************


Thought for the day:  The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are a wise man. [Euripides]

Balance. It's a noble goal, isn't it? Even for clumsy people like me, who would never aspire to, say, walk across the street on a high wire or juggle chain saws, true balance is achievable. Not juggling for klutzes kinda balance, but balance in the deeper sense of the word. Juggling responsibilities and priorities, and meeting the needs of others, as well as yourself. A judicious use of time and resources.







Then, there's the amazing balancing acts we sometimes see in nature. You may have seen some of them. Like this giant rock that seems to defy the laws of gravity.








And then there's a fella named Michael Grab. Since 2008, he's been doing some amazing rock balancing of his own, much of it in the Boulder, Colorado area. Part spiritual, part therapeutic, part art, he's managed to create some rock structures you've gotta see to believe.







Grab says the most fundamental secret to balancing rocks is to start by finding some kind of a tripod for the rock to stand on


He says every rock has some sort of indentations, varying in size from very small to very large.



These indentations serve as the tripods, which either allow a rock to stand upright...


... or to fit in perfect  balance with other rocks.


By paying close attention to them, he gets a feel for the rocks.



He feels the tiniest clicks as he brings the rocks into contact with each other...


... and their notches mesh.




It's as though he performs a sacred dance with nature...



... putting these rocks in their rightful places, into balanced relationships with other rocks. Creating asymmetrical symmetry. Forging connections between the animate and the inanimate.






Creating one-of-a-kind works of art.

Finding within himself a sense of peace, and experiencing a natural balance within the universe.

He says, Parallel to the physical element of finding tripods, the most fundamental non-physical element is harder to explain through words. In a nutshell, I am referring to meditation, or finding a zero point or silence within yourself. Some balances can apply significant pressure on your mind and your patience. The challenge is overcoming any doubt that may arise.


                                                            Would you like to see him at work? There are many many videos of him posted on Youtube, showing him working his balancing magic all over the world, but most of them are copyrighted, and claim exclusive rights, so if you'd like to see one of them... or a bunch of them... check it out. I'll not infringe on his copyright by sharing it here. However, here is a short clip by another gentleman, just to give you a peek of the master at work. (He really rocks! Oh, shut up. Somebody had to say it, so it might as well be me...)





                                   Amazing stuff, huh? How do your balancing skills... stack up?
                                    Tell ya what. Ain't no way I'm playing Jenga with this dude.

                                                     For more info, see his website.

                                 Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.




44 comments:

  1. His work/focus/dedication is amazing.
    I am the opposite. Sometimes I can achieve a kind of balance, but it is generally more by accident than design and decidedly ephemeral.
    I hope your summer is productive and hope that (in the interests of balance) you leave room for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think his work is amazing, too. He's actually turned his rock-balancing into a career, and now travels around the world doing demonstrations, sometimes onstage in front of a symphonic orchestra. (They must not play any booming music...)

      I'd say ephemeral balance is the sign of an adventurous soul.

      Thank you, ma'am. There's ALWAYS room for fun.

      Delete
  2. The balancing rocks are absolutely amazing. I've seen some of them before but most of these are new to me. The curved bridge in particular boggles the mind.
    I'm unbalanced at the moment, but working towards improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be unbalanced, sweet lady. I hope you find Angel soon.

      Delete
  3. Mesmerizing... What a talent and such gorgeous precision...... Thanks for sharing this again, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting everything to sit just right sure is a skill indeed. Some of the more elaborate ones must take a ton of work. Balance can be hard to find sometimes but is key to getting things done. Or just staying far ahead, that works too lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some people... like you... staying ahead is the perfect solution to attaining balance. And your way isn't nearly as rocky. :)

      Delete
  5. Love the pics! I am definitely going to check out his website, etc. Thanks for sharing, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is amazing! He must have very steady hands and head.

    I love balance and have been juggling most of my life to get it right. Now though, I am just flatlining and grudgingly admit that I never really did have any control at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His hands are certainly more steady than mine!

      From what I know of you, you've done a phenomenal job installing balance into your life, but it's possible that whatever control we may think we have over our lives is nothing but illusion.

      Delete
  7. I remember this post - and it's definitely worth repeating. I'm glad that you're putting the welfare of your upcoming masterpiece first this summer. You will feel fantastic when it's polished and finally complete!
    And I never mind reading your reruns.

    I think you've inspired me to finish my memoirs this summer....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm reeeeally looking forward to reading that memoir.

      Delete
  8. Can an unbalanced fishducky ever find real balance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abso-doggone-lutely! But I have no idea who you're talking about, because YOU are one of the most balanced people I know.

      Delete
  9. My brother does rock towers sort of like that, but not as big when he hikes.

    Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Your brother must be a pretty neat-o person.

      You have a super summer, too!

      Delete
  10. Lovely rocks and things, friend Susan ... glad U can move ... Smiles and purrs from this cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiles and purrs right back atcha, cat. Have a super purr-worthy weekend.

      Delete
  11. Fun post and I like the rocks.
    Living out in the west I have a great love of the land and rock who live there.
    But...
    I kind of like my rocks laying around like Mother nature put them. Except for the trail markers.
    In Sedona all the tinfoil pyramid wearing Shirley Maclaine (who I adore) New Age followers are constantly putting up rock mazes everywhere. Besides taking away from the spectacular views, it does disturb the wildlife and land watershed management. Sounds weird and strange but it is true.

    I love your "reruns" If I have read them before I get to read them again. If I haven't read them then I get to enjoy something new.
    You have the best "reruns"

    Good Luck with your planned summer.
    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the totally cool things about Grub is after he's taken hours to create his amazing sculptures, he allows them to topple back into their more natural existence. He gets it about not wanting to disturb nature; he just temporarily manipulates it. :)

      Thanks, dear lady. Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  12. That's just art. Beautiful art. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unusual art, maybe, but definitely art. :)

      Greetings back atcha.

      Delete
  13. I can't remember reading this before, but if I did, then I certainly enjoyed it again.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! That makes me feel better about posting re-runs. :)

      Delete
  14. The "tripod" Mr. Grab intuits, utilizes, must somehow be further stabilized by the added weight of mass above it. In (what?)4 years since I saw these photos, that's all I've come up with. When rocks here get cool enough to touch, I'm going to test this principle myself --that may help me understand it. Like all great installation-art, it looks like fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you build ANY kind of balanced rock structure, please share a picture of it on your blog, dude. If anybody can do it, you can. You and nature have a great relationship...

      Delete
  15. Hi Susan - amazing video ... but I won't try and copy him as sitting in water doesn't inspire me to be creative! Also I'm sure I'd be as creative as him and I certainly don't want to steal his thunder?! Well I can think about this ... perhaps if I concentrate long enough I'll join him in my dreams!! Fantastic - loved it ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Good news, Hilary... you don't have to sit in the water! I saw a video of Grub building one of his amazing stone structures on a perfectly dry stage. (With a symphonic orchestra playing behind him.)

      Alas, I think I could only do something like this in my dreams, too. (ahem) Like you say, we don't want to steal his thunder... HA

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  16. Whoa. Those rock photos are beyond impressive! Wish I could balance my goals even a fraction as well as that, LOL. Best of luck with your WIP, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have confidence in you, Heather. You're a rock star at achieving your goals. :)

      Delete
  17. I saw a rock dude creating balanced stuff in San Diego a long time ago. Pretty impressive. I'm such a klutz, I'd be crushed by my own work. Better to view and not touch. Enjoy summer and edit the heck out of your work - balance those words with non computer fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! You and me both. We'd have to use reeeeeally small rocks.

      There's ALWAYS room for fun! Have a super weekend.

      Delete
  18. He has much more patience than I would ever have. Good luck with editing your WIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda think doing something like this would increase patience. (Or frustration...)

      Thanks.

      Delete
  19. I vaguely remember this post, but it certainly was enjoyable re-reading it! All I can say is, this guy has way more patience than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. Some of those look impossible. Like why don't they just fall apart? Best of luck with revisions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grub says they don't fall because he uses "gravity glue." :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  21. Absolutely amazing.
    Loved all of these photographs.

    I agree getting the correct balance as we go through our days is not always easy ...

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Achieving personal balance is definitely a challenge, especially when everything around us seems to keep changing.

      Delete
  22. I bet he loves his job. That's what most of us aspire to do at one point in our lives or another. :) What he's doing is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet he loves his job, too. Not only is he doing what he used to do for the sheer joy of it, now he's traveling all over the world and getting PAID to do it. :)

      Delete