Friday, May 17, 2019

I'm Not Here

Thought for the day: Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away. [Hughes Mearns, from his poem Antigonish]

[source: unsplash]
I'm not here, either. I'm not getting all woo-woo weird on you, (Okay... weirder...) but I'm not gonna be hanging around on Blogger for a while. I'll tell you about it... later. You know, when I'm no longer not here. Or there. 



In the meantime, since I already took the entire month of April off, I figured I should at least leave you with some kinda post. So here goes... some kinda post:




Are you some somma kind of chameleon? I mean, do you change your behavior or appearance so you can blend in better with your surroundings and with the people around you? Shakespeare's Polonius was one smart dude when he told his son, To thine own self be true, but to some extent, I think most of us are occasionally more intent on fitting in than we are in being ourselves. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, the language you use and the clothes you wear when you're with your friends might not go over too well with your grandmother. (ahem) Unless she's a cool chick like me, that is. HA!

Here are some fun pics of some critters who just wanted to be one of the gang...






Then again, Roofus may not be trying to fit in... maybe he's in the KFC witness protection program.












Poor Fluffy had been spending far too many hours around the stables...








I AM a puppy; I AM a puppy...








Jumbo was always different from his pals. For one thing, he loved to sing, but no matter how hard he tried, he hadn't quite mastered the ol' laying-an-egg trick.






For the most part, Tabby fit right in, but he still wasn't wild about eating out of garbage cans.





Fred was getting pretty good at the ol' stand-on-one-leg stuff, but no matter how many of those disgusting shrimp he ate, his feathers STILL weren't pink.










Gertrude had always admired the ducks' ability to swim, so she finally found a way to join them in the water... but she couldn't QUACK worth a darn.






For some reason, the giraffes never did accept poor hungry Leo as one of their own.





Ethel had 'em all fooled. Everybody thought she was a classical music gal, but as it turned out, furniture wasn't the only thing she liked to shred.











Alas, their successful plot to be accepted by the old lady was about to be foiled.









Skippy was a mere cat, so he was sure he'd fit right in...








Chipper was off to a tough start, but if he was lucky, maybe he could make friends before lunchtime.








Whether we fit in or not, I reckon the most important thing is how we see ourselves.


Cool.


I see myself as a perky twenty-something.









Well, crap... I'm still a saggy old broad. That stinks!


                                     
                                                                 









Then again, being an SOB... sassy old broad... ain't half bad.












And just because I AM old doesn't mean I have to ACT it! It's time for an ADVENTURE, y'all! "'Cause, ya know, I was Born to be Wild!)












Since I'm not  here, I won't be responding to your comments right away, but I'll get to them. Eventually. (Honest!)
           
                        Until next time, take care of yourselves and each other.



37 comments:

  1. I hope your mysterious hiatus will be a pleasant one, Susan.
    This (delightful) post inspired me to put on my glasses and make sure that my cats aren't really a couple of skunks. They occasionally act like skunks.

    My maturity level ???......stopped developing when I was about ten years old....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part One of our hiatus was awesome, and I'll tell y'all about it later... after Part Two. :)

      HA! Our girls act a little skunky at times, too. But they were reeeeeally glad to see us come back home today.

      My maturity level varies. Given the right circumstances, I can act ten, too.

      Delete
  2. Errrrr, yes! Thanks for sharing, have a good time, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) We had a great time, and I'm looking forward to continuing to have a great time. Life is good...

      Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  3. Changing to fit in? aaaallll the time. Sometimes I'm not sure who the real me is anymore.
    Have a good break. But don't forget to come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kinda sad. From what I know of her, the real you is a lovely woman, Maybe the rest of the people should adapt to fit in with YOU.

      Oh, I didn't forget. It was a relatively short break, but I ain't done yet... :)

      Delete
  4. Those are funny. Good for Ethel - she should shred.
    I blend in a crowd.
    Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. I wish I could teach our cats to shred like that. MUCH better than what they've done to all our furniture.

      I did! Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I hope that wherever you go, whatever you do, you will be happy. I think that you will fit in everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always, dear lady. We've gotta do our best to be happy, no matter where we're planted, even if it's only temporary.:)

      Thank you.

      Delete
  6. haha those were fun indeed. I can blend in, as sometimes you have to with work and such unless you want to be canned, but other times, pfffft. Hopefully you have fun while your not here and there until you are here and not there. Or would it be here and there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Fitting in at work is sometimes a necessity.

      Well, I'm temporarily here... but then I'm not gonna be, 'cause I'm gonna be somewhere else again... there. :)

      Delete
  7. is this like a Where's Waldo? Are you blending in with the raccoons? Are you off tasting chocolate in Bali with Robyn? Hmmm....hope you are having fun wherever you are. Cheers my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, kinda, only I rarely wear stripes. (They make me look FAT-ter...)

      We had an awesome time. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Susan - oh ho ... I'm still a twenty-something too ... but I wander around the outside, but am on hand to help out - others don't often do that ... so really I'm sort of in with out-crowd, or out with the in-crowd ... who knows and I'm not sure where my toes are now! Take care and enjoy the weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. Oh most definitely... I'm a 20-something on the inside, anyway. (So what if some of our grandchildren are, too...?) I'd say you stand OUT from the crowd, which is a lovely place to be.

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  9. I'm gonna miss you already! (huh?)
    Your photo commentaries are so cute. 'Hope y'all have scads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, no need to miss me. I'm already back... or am I? :)

      We had scads and scads...!

      Delete
  10. Love that comma chameleon! I hope you're having fun--wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! It's a groaner, but I like it, anyway. :)

      No matter where I am, it's usually a pretty good bet that I'm having fun...

      Delete
  11. It's always the cats, trying to blend in.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think cats believe everyone else should conform to THEM.

      We did! Thanks.

      Delete
  12. Daughter was a "mere cat" person and she even wrote a few papers on them. I just love Fred he is adorable.
    Don't go away to long...(me being being selfish)
    parsnip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. We never go away for too long. Our cats wouldn't allow it. HA!

      Delete
  13. Ooh, it's like the beginning of a story where someone disappears! Where to? Why? The reader in me wants to know!

    Hope you enjoy your disappearance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! It isn't that big of a mystery, but I'll let y'all know about our adventures in a couple weeks. :)

      It was awesome! Since you're a history buff, you would've enjoyed it, too...

      Delete
  14. You do have to grow old but you don't have to grow up...I'm living proofl. If you're not here, where are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby and I are living proof, too. Just because we're old doesn't mean we have to be old poops. I'm not sure where I am half the time... every time I turn around, there I am!

      Delete
  15. At nearly 59, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up :) I'll miss your cheerful selection of pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm (ahem) a "wee" bit older than you are, and I think growing up is grossly overrated. How can ya miss my pics if I never stay away...?

      Delete
  16. I have fun to read your comments on photos and memes.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  17. I don't want to grow up. And suspect mentally I won't.
    Have fun where-ever you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Like our daughter says, "Adulting is hard..." (And not nearly as much fun!) You betcha. I did... and I still am. :)

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you had fun wherever you were. :) I'm so slow getting around to reading my blog list that I got here after you got back. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete