Friday, October 11, 2019

Sunshine

Thought for the day:  Don't confuse your path with your destination. Just because it's stormy now doesn't mean you aren't headed for sunshine. 

[image courtesy of unsplash]

There's a certain amount of comfort in knowing that no matter how dark the skies may be, the sun is still up there, waiting to shine its rays on us again. Just because we can't see it at the moment doesn't mean it isn't there.

No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm together.

Smarticus and I are huddled under an umbrella right now, but trust me, we're still smiling.

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face. [Victor Hugo]


[image courtesy of unsplash]



We've been married for more than fifty years, so we've seen lots of eclipses together, and we know that no matter how surreal everything looks while the moon is upstaging the sun, it always steps aside in the end so we can once again see the sunlight in all its glory.








[image courtesy of unsplash]


I have faith that just like an eclipse, this, too, shall pass. But it's gonna take a little while.

When I met Smarticus for the first time, I was 12 years old, and even then, there was something about him that I found irresistible. I mean, he was reeeeally smart, funny, and a bit of a smart ass/bad ass. Even though he was a good boy, there was something of a bad boy aura about him, too. I mean, he worked on cars and smoked, for goodness sake! And ohhhh, he looked so cute with that cigarette hanging from his mouth... Yeah, I know. Dumb. Well, I'm pleased to say he finally quit smoking a couple months ago, but now he's a different kind of bad ass. His body's all marked up. Not with tattoos, though, With markings to show where he's gonna get zapped with radiation. Yeah, I know. Scary. I'm only telling you guys this because I didn't want to simply disappear from the blogosphere without any explanation. To make a long story short, Smarticus begins radiation and chemo next week and it'll be for five days a week, which means we'll both be spending a lot of time at two different medical facilities for quite a few weeks to come. I know some of you have already faced (and overcome!) cancer, and I know we aren't unique. This is just something we have to deal with, and we'll do it as best we can. Whether or not that will include blogging remains to be seen. Not that I don't love you guys. But I love him more.


Honest, I wasn't planning on saying anything about this at all, and he might prefer that I kept it to myself, so I'm not going into any details. (Lucky for me he never reads my blog, HA!) What made me change my mind was a tiny article in the newspaper about a couple of Florida teenagers with Down syndrome, and how the girl's mother took a video of the young man inviting her daughter to the homecoming dance. About how their faces shine with love... and how he asked her to be his sunshine. Just like my Smarticus has always been to me and I think I've been to him. I looked for the video mentioned in the article... and found it. Be ready to smile. The way I see it, love and sunshine are always something worth smiling about...




                                Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.
                               
                                           Keep smiling and never EVER give up hope.


P.S. I've already written rather lengthy blog posts for the next two Fridays, but once they go live, anything I write after that may be shorter than usual (Stop cheering!) or might even be re-runs of oldies-but-goodies. For that matter, they may be non-existent. We shall see.


53 comments:

  1. Susan, I'm so glad you decided to share this with us - - after all, we are an extended part of your family and I'm certain that every one of us cares deeply.

    Your optimism and perpetually positive spirit is admirable and necessary. I will be one among many who is sending heartfelt love, prayers, and positive thoughts.

    My very best wishes to you and your husband during this difficult time - with sincere hope that sunshine will soon emerge from the clouds. Please keep us updated. Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jon. Your words made me cry, but in a good way.

      Delete
  2. Dear Susan. Please combine my own best wishes with Jon's, which should provide a mixture of near-explosive hopefulness. You may have surmised I've dealt with cancer for the past 15 months. Just see if I'll smoke for 55 years again. Learned my lesson, I won't try that twice. I know your husband will get the best care and encouragement. I wish him well --REALLY WELL-- and you too. And, yes, updates would be welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dude. Near-explosive hope sounds danged near perfect. I'm sending the same right back atcha. Yes, I'd surmised that your battle was continuing, so I've been pulling for you. Give Norma a hug for me, and you get well... REALLY WELL... real soon.

      Delete
  3. If you need to take time off, then that's what you do. We all will understand. Now go and be with Smarticus. I have my fingers crossed for things going well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring are flowing your way.
    Thank you for letting us know - now focus on the important people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you and Smarticus all the sunshine you can get. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie. I appreciate it. Hugs right back atcha.

      Delete
  6. Do what has to be done to get him better indeed. Blogging will be here after. Hopefully the sun shines again real soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's our plan. For now, we're making our own sunshine.

      Delete
  7. Friend Sue. Will be thinking of you and your husband every day at 1700 hrs MST. Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet cat. I don't know if there's any significance in the 1700 hour, but I'm touched beyond words by the gesture.

      Delete
    2. 1700hrs is when I eat. Go Keto :) Love, cat.

      Delete
    3. Ah HA! Gotcha. Good luck with Keto. I've heard lots of good things about it. :)

      Delete
  8. Reading how you face a crisis in a positive way is encouraging to many. I hope the clouds lift and the sun returns soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I sure hope so. There's always a way to make the best of any situation, and if my words offer anyone encouragement, I'll happily accept that. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. I just know your candor will be an inspiration to others sharing this walk. Lock and load!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope so. Oh you can believe it... we are definitely locked and loaded! (Thanks for making me smile.)

      Delete
  10. very glad you posted. Now you have lots of positive blog energy and love headed your way as you face these stormy days and sunshine. Your smile and love will keep him lifted up. Take good care of him and you. Sending all the best from TX - big hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm kinda glad I posted, too. You guys keep making me tear up, but the support is awesome. Big hug back atcha, kiddo.

      Delete
  11. Hi, Susan!

    This is a beautiful message of hope. Never lose yours! I think that when we share these things, we feel better. And we end up connecting to people who are living the same situation and it gives them strength. I hope that the sun comes out again, but remeber: even eclipses can be very beautiful, and can teach us important lessons about the sky, the planets and the sattelites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ana!

      You're right. It did make me feel better to share it, and the wonderful comments y'all have made have helped even more. Your words about the eclipse are very true, too, only we're learning more about ourselves.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you shared this with us because now you both have many, many more good thoughts and prayers coming your way. Please hang in there and know there are a ton of people out here rooting for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, the sunshine always follows the rain. Hoping there will be many sunny days ahead for you both. Praying all goes well with the chemo and the radiation. Never give up hope, the sun will shine again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. People beat it every day. You guys have the most special love story that warms the heart. You take care of what's important, we'll be here waiting. And if there is anything I could do, I'd be happy to. You're the best and the sweetest of people. Hugs and love to you and Smarticus. Prayers too. Lots and lots of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweetie. We've got positive attitudes and doctors who are willing to be super aggressive with this, so I'm hopeful we'll be on the winning side. (Unlike our Falcons...)

      Delete
  15. Hi Susan - thank you for telling us ... such a difficult time for the both of you, and for the family ... I know you'll be facing the challenging times with the sun shining down upon you. Your marriage with Smarticus has been special for us all to see here ... and so with a great many thoughts and hugs I'll be hoping that things will go well and better than expected. I imagine you both enjoying the sunshine together ... with love - Hilary xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. That's one good thing about living in Georgia. The sun is almost always shining down on us. And if it isn't? I reckon we'll have to make our own. :)

      Thank you so much. I appreciate your kind words, sweet lady.

      Delete
  16. Dear Susan, Your love for Smarticus has always shown thru in your writings. It is a beautiful thing. Bless you and that bad boy and I pray that all things will work out well. We went thru this a few years ago, but we came out of it a little beaten down but whole again. My thoughts are with you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Arlene. Knowing you guys have already walked this scary path and made it out on the other side in one piece is very encouraging. We're both ready to "get 'er done"! On the plus side, I reckon we'll be playing lots of games to pass the time during the chemo treatments... :)

      Delete
    2. I went thru a few word search books and journaled every day. It was a great help.

      Delete
    3. We've got a travel Scrabble game that'll get a good work-out, as well as a couple other games and decks of cards. We'll find a way to entertain ourselves. (Too bad they don't have a pool table in the treatment room...)

      Delete
  17. This is a scary road to travel. My thoughts are with you both and hopes for a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll be thinking of you and Smarticus. Saying prayers and sending love and hugs and positive healing vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will be thinking about both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bellissimo e commovente il video.
    Buona giornata.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sono felice ti sia piaciuto, Giancarlo. Buona giornata ancheate.

      Delete
  21. Adding my support and love to the queue here, for you and all of your family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a comforting thought.

    Thank you for sharing this with us! I am sending hugs, and light, and prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just reading this now... Lots of hugs for you and best wishes for Smarticus. A positive attitude goes a long way, and you both seem to have it. Good luck, and keep us posted, even if it's just a few words. There are a lot of people here rooting for you both.

    ReplyDelete