Friday, July 28, 2017

Spread 'Em!

Thought for the day: People are like stain-glassed windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is  out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed. Only if there is a light from within. [Elisabeth Kubler-Ross]

[image courtesy of Morguefile]
So how's your inner light these days? Feeling good about yourself and the world? Yeah, I know it can be a challenge some days, but the light is right there inside you, if only you dare to let it shine.

We all possess certain talents and gifts that are unique to only us. You already have everything that you need to start living an extraordinary life. It's up to you to turn on the switch and let your light shine. [Randa Manning-Johnson]

Continuing with that train of thought on my journey of summer re-runs, the following gently-massaged post originally ran in June, 2011, as Open Up Then Wings, Baby! I hope you enjoy it. (I'm even going to re-run those six-year old weird stories of the week, because... why not? They may be old, but they're still still funny... kinda like some people I know...)

A good attitude is contagious, but don't wait to catch it from somebody else. Be a carrier.

***********************************





Thought for the day:  Just because you're sitting  in a garage doesn't mean you're an automobile.


[image courtesy of Morguefile]
It's too hot for a heavy meal today, so how about a little food for thought? The following is loosely based on a  James Agreey story, The Parable of the Eagle.

While traipsing through the woods one day, a farmer happened upon a solitary eaglet sitting on the ground. He scooped up the young bird, cradled it oh-so-gently in his arms, and carried it home with him. There, he secured it safely in the barnyard with his chickens, and before long, the eagle learned how to walk and squawk like a chicken and how to peck chicken feed from the ground.

A naturalist stopped by one day and demanded to know why the king of birds was confined to a barnyard, scratching in the dirt like a common chicken. The farmer claimed the bird was now a chicken. He'd been raised like a chicken and never taught to fly, so he was, in fact,  no longer an eagle. But (naturally) the naturalist insisted the bird still had the heart of an eagle, and could surely be taught to fly. And should be. Finally, the farmer agreed to let the naturalist try.

The naturalist picked up the eagle, and told him, "You're meant to be the king of the sky. Stretch forth your wings and fly!"

But the eagle couldn't do it. He was frightened. He looked down at all his chicken friends pecking corn from the ground and jumped back down to join them.

The next day, the naturalist tried again. This time, he took the eagle up to the roof. Again, he told him, "You're an eagle, the king of the skies. Stretch forth your wings and fly!"

But once again, the frightened bird jumped back down to the safety of the chicken yard.

The third day, the naturalist carried the bird to a nearby mountain. He held the eagle high above him, and said, "You are an eagle, the king of the skies. Spread forth your wings, and fly!"

The bird hesitated at first. He looked back toward the farm, back to the only life he knew. Then he trembled, stretched his mighty wings, and with a triumphant cry, soared into the sky.

It's possible the eagle sometimes misses the chickens; he may even visit the barnyard once in a while for old time's sake. But as far as anyone knows, he's still living life as an eagle, the king of the skies... just as all eagles should do.
*****

How about you? Are you still hanging around in the barnyard because you're too frightened to stretch your wings? Never let someone else's definition of you and your capabilities prevent you from trying, because, you too, are an eagle, and you owe it to yourself to fly. Schoolchildren aren't the only ones with untapped potential.
*****

[image courtesy of Morguefile]
                                                       

OK, here we go, the WEIRD STORIES OF THE WEEK:

***  While enjoying an airboat ride on the Suwannee River in Florida, a young lady unexpectedly crossed paths with a sturgeon. And lost. The sturgeon, between five and six feet long, and weighing approximately seventy pounds, jumped out of the water and into the boat, and unfortunately, broke the damsel's leg in the process. Although some tried to characterize the encounter as as "attack", it wasn't. Nothing personal, lady. Sturgeons jump. That's what they do. Three days earlier, the state issued a warning about the potential danger posed to boaters by jumping sturgeon, but now I'm thinking ...  maybe the sturgeon general should've issued one, too.

*** Another Florida story, and this one's about a St. Lucie couple who are serious about their shooting. Most people have a TV in their bedroom, but this couple upped the ante considerably. They have a wood and metal target inside their bedroom closet. Handy when there's nothing good on TV, I suppose. Anyway, neighbors called the police on this frequently fighting couple recently, and when police arrived, the wife said she fired an AR-15 rifle at the target in her future ex-husband's bedroom, missed, killed a washing machine, and accidentally flooded the place. Yes, a considerable amount of alcohol allegedly led to the death of the innocent washing machine.

*** The final story is from Lithuania, where an online survey held by a local radio station indicated Lithuanian men felt the need for a day set aside to honor them. So, the station obliged. They declared a National Men's Day, and to commemorate the auspicious occasion, hosted an unusual swimming competition. Inflatable sex dolls were used as rafts. More than two hundred men registered, but only twenty were selected to participate. And that .... is all I'm gonna say about THAT!


                        Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.



54 comments:

  1. I was brought up to believe that everyone has a special talent. Mine is taking its time to emerge. Which I suspect means my inner light needs replacing.
    Loved the post though. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're much too modest. Shall I mention some of your many talents? You have the ability to see and appreciate the marvels of the world, and you find joy in exploring them. You have a deep kindness which shines through in every post you write... which reminds me, your writing itself is delightful. As is your photography. And then there's your volunteer work, which shows your concern for the welfare of other people. You, my sweet lady, have a TON of talents.

      You have a wonderful weekend, too.

      Delete
  2. My inner light is a little dim, probably because I'm stuck in the barnyard. I step out now and again, but always go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe our inner lights ebb and flow. Sometimes bright and sometimes not-so-bright, but they're always there, waiting for a spritz of proverbial Windex. Try stepping out of that barnyard a little more frequently so you can exercise your wings. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan - yes I need to stretch out and spread my wings before I'm unable to move from my chair ... so that light I will remember and spread that forth too ... I'm not bad at that now ... just me I need to really sort - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. Yeah, I have to watch how many hours I spend glued to my office chair before I forget how to walk, let alone fly.

      I think you do a fine job spreading the light. As for sorting yourself out, it's terrific that you're still discovering new things about yourself and the world. (That's the secret to staying young!)

      Delete
  4. My wings are tired of flapping for now. Right now I am content in the barnyard hanging out with the chicks, clicking away. However, given the cause and the opportunity, I could be persuaded to take flight one more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. You've earned the right to stop flapping and allow yourself to coast from time to time, but I have no doubt about your flying skills. (Even if it looks more like a march...)

      Delete
  5. Love the eagle story! I've heard other versions of it, but not this one. A good reminder for what was a very long week. :)

    And the pic/quote at the bottom of the post totally cracked me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I read it many years ago, and its message has always stayed with me.

      Long week, huh? I hope your too-short weekend makes up for it. Have a good un!

      Delete
  6. I luv the eagle story and can certainly relate to it. Sometimes it takes a good part of a lifetime to spread your wings and fly properly - but once you're in flight, there's no going back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the story, but I think maybe sometimes we DO go back. Just to rest a spell.

      Delete
  7. Inflatable sex dolls? Those men need to get out of the barnyard. lol

    We'd get out of the barnyard, think of all that animal dung? No way we'd want to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Good point, but they'd have to let go of the dolls first; their added weight might make it difficult for them to take to the sky.

      Ah, ha! And yet another fine point! No living IN the dung-filled barnyard... far better to soar and "bomb" it from above. :)

      Delete
  8. Well, this chicken has decided to 'reach for the stars' because it only makes sense right...I mean...who wants saggy boobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Right, but for me, I'm afraid that ship has already sailed. :)

      Delete
  9. Great stories, SFS! Keeping the light going is the toughest thing to do. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J! (Um, you can call me... S. HA!)

      Happy Friday right back atcha.

      Delete
  10. My inner light comes and goes, I think. It is there, but needs to be turned up a little brighter sometimes. I enjoyed your post. I hope you are having a nice summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ebb and flow of light is normal, I think. We just have to make sure it doesn't go out.

      Yes, ma'am. I'm having a super summer. It's hard to believe the kids around here are going back to school next week already. I hope you're having a terrific summer, too.

      Delete
  11. Susan, I look forward to Friday because I know you will post !
    Another interesting post.
    Plus reach for the stars to keep you boobs from sagging. . . too funny.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's such a sweet thing to say. Thank you!

      I'll try to keep reaching for the stars, but I think it's already too late to save the boobs... :)

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  12. I might still be looking for my specialty. Right now it has heat stroke in the shade. I have to say your flip flop header just makes me smile, and then I settle in for your summer re-run or I prefer to think of it as a summer treat. Good stuff. We are off to Oklahoma this weekend for Ray's birthday. Why? There's some baseball and a waterpark, and whatever other trouble we can find.
    Take care and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got LOTS of specialties! Having the good sense to stay in the shade in this heat is but one of them.

      I hope you guys have an awesome time in OK. (Maybe it'll be a tad cooler there? One can hope...)

      Delete
  13. Hey Susan, nice post and wise words for those who should spread their wings and fly, I have spread my wings but if I fly look at what I'll be missing so I am content with my light shining in one spot ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Jimmy. Well ya know, even those who spread their wings and fly have to land SOMETIMES. :)

      Delete
  14. I love this parable of the eagle!
    So true, what 'velvet handcuffs' I've allowed to be put on, for security sake. Come January, I'm gonna remember that eagle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me, too.

      You're right. Most of us have quietly allowed ourselves to be put into velvet handcuffs in the name of security. (Makes it too darned hard to fight back!)

      You fly, girl! (But why wait until January? You can take smaller flights until the big move...)

      Delete
  15. I love your posts and your stories, Susan. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One that I like the most: "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop>
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but that only works if you're going in the right direction. :)

      Delete
  17. I write books so I can fly. I don't care what anyone says about that.

    Sturgeon general? Really, Susan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you can fly very well! It's good to hear from you, kiddo.

      Sorry. I couldn't help myself... :)

      Delete
  18. That last pic was a proverbial "doozy"!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The stained glass window story is precious, and the so is the eagle story, friend Sue ... so is the Florida story, but since I don't watch TV, period, I'm practising my shooting skills on other things ... and meanwhile in Lithuania ... ya ... smiles. Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... the star pic and saying is a hoot ... smiles.

      Delete
  20. Much-needed and appreciated humor, Susan. Thanks, but sometimes I worry about the Lithuanians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about those Lithuanians either, but you've gotta admit... that must have been one funny race to watch!

      Delete
  21. I enjoyed reading. Glad the eagle eventually reached his/her calling. We need to soar to look over our lives.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, I think we all need to soar to put things into perspective.

      Delete
  22. I always enjoy visiting your blog and reading your words and stories.
    It is so important for us all to be aware of the light that is within us, even though there are times when the flame doesn't always burn so bright ...
    Great post.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. That's a sweet thing to say. :)

      If we all learned how to turn up those inner lights, maybe there'd be less darkness in the world...

      Delete
  23. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross was a wise, wise woman!

    Florida is full of those weird stories. I tried to take pictures of jumping fish one time and told another tourist who was trying the same thing that it is really very simple: all you have to do is press the shutter a split second before they jump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was. She told her family she wanted them to release balloons when she died...

      HA! Love it. (You're rather wise yourself...)

      Delete
  24. I love your re-runs! I've learned over the past few years to not be afraid of spreading my wings and I'm so glad I finally got to that point. Loved this story.
    Hope you're enjoying your summer, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. You sure HAVE been spreading your wings! There's no stopping you now, girl. :)

      Yep, summer's been good. Hot, but good. I hope you're having a good one, too.

      Delete
  25. Let your little light shine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad I finally got to that point. Loved this story.


    การ์ตูนโป๊, jav

    ReplyDelete