Friday, March 16, 2018

Happy Maewyn Succat's Day!

Thought for the day: It's fine to pretend to be Irish on St. Patrick's Day; we pretend to be good on Christmas, don't we?


[image courtesy of Wikipedia]

Faith and begorra, it's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow. He's the patron saint of Ireland, and in celebration of him driving away the snakes and bringing Christianity to the Emerald Isle, people all over the world get poop-faced on green beer and Irish whiskey. I do hope such an honor is never bestowed on me after my passing...

Didja know St. Pat's real name was Maewyn Succat? Patrick is the name he took when he became a priest. Just as well, because Happy Maewyn Succat Day doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily, especially after consuming copious quantities of the aforementioned beer and whiskey.

Didja also know St. Pat (Shhhh) wasn't even Irish?

Nonetheless, on March 17 every year, the date of this patron saint of Ireland's death, he is celebrated. With parades... with green you-name-it... with corned beef and cabbage or Irish stew. With lots of laughter. Ah yes... the laughter. How about an Irish joke or two?

[image courtesy of Morguefile]

One fine St. Patrick's Day, two men were sitting side-by-side at an Irish pub in Boston. After a while, one looks at the other, and says, "I can't help but think from listening to you that you're from Ireland."

Rather proudly, the other man says, "Why, yes, that I am!"

The first said, "So am I! Whereabouts from Ireland might ye be?"

The other says, "From Dublin, I am."

The first says, "Sure and begorra, so am I! And what street was it you lived on in Dublin?"

The other says, "Oh, a lovely little area it was. I lived on McCleary Street in the old central part of town."

The first says, "Faith, and it's a small world, so did I! And to what school might ye have been going?"

The other says, "I went to St. Mary's, of course."

The first guy gets really excited. "So did I! And what year did ye graduate, then?"

The other says, "In 1964, I did."

The first guy is so excited at this news, he nearly topples from his bar stool. "As I live and breathe, the Good Lord must be smiling down upon us this fine St. Patrick's Day! I can hardly believe the good luck that brings us together in the same bar. I graduated from St. Mary's in 1964 my own self!"

About this time, another man enters the pub and orders a beer. The bartender shakes his head as he hands the beer to him, and says, "It's going to be a long night."

"What makes you say that?" the patron asks.

"The Murphy twins are drunk again."

************

That joke reminds me of a true story that happened to me. Not at a bar, but at my doctor's office.

A temp was filling in for the receptionist that day, and in the course of chatting, she discovered I was from Maryland. She got very excited at this news and said, "Me, too! Whereabouts?"

I told her, "Dundalk." (Which, by the way, is a sister city to Dundalk, Ireland.)

Even more excited, she said, "ME, TOO!" Then she asked which high school I attended.

I said, "Dundalk High School."

"ME, TOO!!!" she screamed, practically jumping out of her chair. "What year did you graduate?"

When I told her the year, she stared at me, wide-eyed, with a blank expression on her face. Finally, in a much more subdued voice, she said, "Maybe you knew my mother...?"

***********

A word to the wise: Never borrow money from a leprechaun. (They're always a little short...)

Know why you should never iron a four-leaf clover? It's never a good idea to press your luck.

Know how to tell if an Irishman is having a good time? Easy. He's Dublin over with laughter.

                                                     How about a wee bit o' Irish cheer?





May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head always be strong. And may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead.

                                 Until next time, take care of yourselves and each other.
                                  Bless your little Irish heart, and every other Irish part.

















55 comments:

  1. Loved the dance off :) the other video wouldn't play and I can't be bothered searching you tube for it.
    Have a great St Paddy's day, eat lots of green stuff. Broccoli, cabbage, green beans, peppermint ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that dance-off, too. It would be soooo much fun to see something like that in person. :)

      You have a happy St. Pat's Day, too. I jumped the gun a bit and had corned beef yesterday. (I can have some leftover tomorrow, though...)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a fun post. I'm sure glad Patrick changed his name! We used to do Scottish and Irish dancing at school, and I loved it. Happy Paddy's day! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If St. Patrick hadn't changed his name, they probably wouldn't have named a day after him. :)

      What fun! We did a lot of dancing in school, too, but no Irish or Scottish dances. I would've loved that. Such energy! Kinda like tap dancing, only better. :)

      Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  3. Ouch on the encounter at the doctor's office.
    I hope that your St Maewyn Succats Day is wonderful, and full of laughter. And no green beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the encounter at the doctor's office was hysterical. I've always looked young for my age, and her reaction just proved it. :)

      You have a wonderful day. No problem. No green beer for me... I don't like beer, no matter what color it is.

      Delete
  4. There are no snakes in Ireland as St Patrick is supposed to have driven them all out.
    Tomorrow is Engand v Ireland in the Rugby Union championship so we're hoping to spoil the party.
    Have a great day yourself, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ow, wow, that will be a spirited rugby match-up! Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Maybe you knew my mother - ouch!
    Good thing he changed his name. Most people couldn't pronounce that sober.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was FUNNY! The look on that receptionist's face was absolutely priceless.

      You've got that right! (I have no IDEA how to pronounce it!)

      Delete
  6. I've heard that Murphy twins joke before and love it. Had to laugh at your experience - I'm at the age where I can definitely see something like that happening to me!
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The experience at the doctor's office wasn't a BAD one. Yeah, it means I'm OLD, but I already knew that. What it also means is I don't LOOK as old as I AM. :)

      Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, too!

      Delete
  7. funny jokes. Enjoy St. Pat's. I'm a leprechaun and have the green eyes to prove it (and must use sunscreeen or I'll have the sunburn to prove it. My mom was a red head). Cheers and hoist a brew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyes are green, too, and my freckles really show up when I spend much time in the sunshine, but I'm not a leprechaun. Or even Irish. Lots of redheads in my mother's family... but they were German. I'm Heinz 57.

      Cheers back atcha! Have a terrific weekend, lass.

      Delete
  8. The twins joke was funny, but your experience at the doctor's office made me laugh out loud! Cringe first, then laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made ya laugh? Cool! I thought it was hilarious. Really. No cringing involved... except maybe on her part. :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the smiles and the information today. I do learn something new every day. Never knew what St. Patrick's real name was. I'll be dancing my irish jig and eating cabbage too on the 17th! May the luck of the Irish be with you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, MA. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      May the luck o' the Irish be with you, too.

      Delete
  10. I did not know that about St Patrick....glad he changed his name. Loved the jokes...especially the twins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the giggles :-) A very fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. :) Giggling is exercise for the insides.

      Delete
  12. I have just a wee bit of Irish in me, so I don't have to pretend. Fun post! Happy St. Paddy's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a wee bit is lovely. Maybe that's where you got your wonderful poetic ability. Happy St. Paddy's Day to you, too!

      Delete
  13. I look forward to holidays because I know you will have a wonderful and very funny post !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's a wonderful thing to say. :)

      Cheers back atcha!

      Delete
  14. Delightful! Susan I'm glad St. Patrick changed his name from the Brythonic Celtic, Maewyn Succat. It would take more Guinness Extra Stout than I'm used to to say it without sneering. You try it --like you're calling him from across the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I could say it, period, because I'm not sure how to pronounce it. :) And if I drank any stout at all, I probably wouldn't remember how to pronounce my OWN name!

      Delete
  15. His real name would make you think someone is drunk when they try and say it. Plus, Saint Me Day wouldn't work then, can't have that haha There will sure be lots of drunks out and about, any excuse. haha the twins joke was a good one indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. May you always have...
    Walls for the winds
    A roof for the rain
    Tea beside the fire
    Laughter to cheer you
    Those you love near you
    And all your heart might desire.

    I just got my DNA back. I am 98% Irish. My brother’s DNA shows he is 94% Irish . I think it is better not to look further.

    Have a happy St. Paddy’s Day, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the wishes, but I must confess to giggling over the discrepancy between your DNA results and your brother's. Then again, at least the results gave you both the same nationality. My friend, who has always believed himself to be of Cherokee Indian descent got DNA results that said he was British. However, he pursued it farther, and he is most definitely of Cherokee Indian descent. (I coulda told him that for FREE!) He was adopted, and the so-called DNA testers apparently looked no farther than the last name of his adopted father.

      You have a Happy St. Paddy's Day, too, our wild Irish rose.

      Delete
  17. Loved the twins joke. I was wondering where the story was heading and honestly didn't see that coming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm glad it was a new joke for you, and I trust you'll be telling it a time or two today. :)

      Delete
  18. Happy green day, friend Sue ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun jokes! Had fun reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Susan - those are all great fun ... and I love your header. I suspect we might be giving St Patrick a break for us on the farm ... but perhaps tomorrow! Wonderful stories - Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. Not much St. Pat's celebrating going on here, other than the fact that I'm wearing a green tee shirt. :) I jumped the gun and fixed our corned beef a couple days ago, and there isn't a drop of green beer in the house.

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  21. Loved the story about your encounter with the temp receptionist. Proves that you looked so young she thought you were her age!

    And your "thought for the day" was on the sign tonight at the bar in downtown Lakeland, around the corner from where my office used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the look on that temp's face was priceless. :)

      Oh, cool! It's nice to share billing with that clever sign-writer.

      Delete
  22. Thanks for the laughs Susan. Mrs Bazza's mother was from Dublin and father from Belfast. Oy, what a combination!
    I've been to Dundalk in Ireland; I shall refrain from commenting.....
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s doubtful Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, that IS quite the combo! I thought having parents supportive of two opposing political parties was bad, but a Dublin-Belfast combo has that beat by far.

      HA! I've never been to Ireland, but Dundalk, Maryland is a wonderful place. :)

      Delete
    2. I just checked on Google Maps. I have been fairly near to Dundalk, Maryland: Baltimore and Fort Henry!

      Delete
    3. How cool! Dundalk is actually in Baltimore county, but it sounds like you were in the city. Ft. McHenry was one of my favorite places to visit. I do hope you were there AFTER the inner harbor renovation, rather than before. Growing up there, of course, I loved it, but I never thought the inner harbor would ever be so beautiful that it would be a huge tourist draw. The area around the aquarium is especially tourist-y now. (And fun!)

      Delete
  23. Hi Susan - I laughed at both stories, but your story just proves how young you look and act! Yep, we do have to worry about those back-winds! Soory it took me so long to get here.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, kiddo! I'm glad I made ya laugh. Took so long to get here? Whattaya mean? You're not late... you should know by now that whenever you get here is the perfect time. :)

      Delete
  24. I love all your jokes and funny stories! I didn't know Patrick's real name was an "M" word. Glad he decided to go with "Patrick." That works so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We forgot the date, but Ireland won the rugby so we were celebrating that :-)
    Plus we got snowed in, so you might as well! I like Maewyn Succat for a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh. So Ireland won, huh? I know quite a few folks who WEREN'T celebrating! :)

      Delete