Friday, July 12, 2019

Mixed Messages

Thought for the day:  Time is but a stream I go a-fishing in. I drink at it, but while I drink, I see the sandy bottom and detect how shallow it is. Its thin current slips away, but eternity remains. [Henry David Thoreau]

How is it possible that I can look at this old photo of my mother and me from so many years ago and still remember so vividly exactly how icky it felt when the lining of that bathing suit got filled with sand?

So long ago, yet so vivid. Such is time. As Thoreau said, eternity remains.

Okay, so I'm not here. (Again!) You could say I've... gone fishing. (Hey! Stop looking at my bass!)

Ahem.

Anyhow, I won't be around to respond to your comments or visit your blogs and all that good stuff... but I WILL be back next Friday with a brand new post. In the meantime, I'm leaving you with an updated version of an oldie but goodie, which first appeared in 2011.. before any of you were following me... as Sum Tink Wong. So in a way... it's new!

                            *******************************************

Thought for the day:  Man who stand on toilet high on pot.


Have you ever noticed how twisted up translations can become from one language to another? Sometimes, they're pretty frustrating, but they can also be inadvertently funny. Manuals for electronic gadgets can make you want to pull your hair out when the manufacturer's primary language is Japanese. And my hubby bought a box of drill bits, (made in China) only to come home and notice the box declared them to be "dill bits." We thought that was so funny, we kept the box around for a while just to show our friends.


BUT ... wouldn't you think if someone wanted to open a restaurant, a place for American people to come and EAT,  they'd check, check and DOUBLE-check how the name they've selected for that restaurant might translate before hanging their sign out front? I sincerely doubt if any of the following owners gave it a second thought:




































What? You say, for some strange reason, you've decided to eat at HOME tonight?

And you have the oddest craving for Chinese food? How about this simple recipe for fried rice:


Surely you have some leftover cold rice in your fridge, right? No? Well, then you'll have to cook some, and stick it in the fridge to let it chill for a while. While it's cooling, you can chop some green onions, and gather whatever veggies and/or meat you want to add to your creation. For four cups of rice, you'll want about a cup of veggie/meat combo. Or more, if you'd like. (It's YOUR dinner.) Shrimp is good, leftover pork, beef, peas, carrots, whatever you happen to have on hand. OK, now beat two eggs and stir fry in 2 T oil (peanut, lard, sesame, or whatever your little heart desires) until the eggs are dry and separated into small pieces. Remove the eggs, put 3 more T oil into the pan, and toss in your veggies, meat and rice. Stir fry for ~5 minutes or so. Add 2 T chicken broth, 3 T soy sauce. Mix well, and then stir in your eggs, 1/2 t pepper and 2 t sesame oil. Voila! Your masterpiece!


Don't feel like rice? How about this? If you're feeling a little, um,  creative, these chicken wings are guaranteed to put a smile on your face:


I think some cross-language double entendres may be intentional. Like a while back, my hubby and I attended a function to honor Vietnam war vets. When Smarticus left the table to get some more food from the buffet, a young Vietnamese man came over to me to introduce himself. For all I know, he was born here in America, because he definitely spoke and acted like any other homegrown American fella his age. At any rate, he was very Americanized, if you know what I mean. Anyway, he looked me right in the eyes, grinned, and said... "I'm hung." Now I'm sure his name's probably spelled Huang or some such, but that's how it sounded. And he didn't say his NAME was hung; he said HE was. I kinda wondered if he wanted me to... congratulate him...? Personally, I think I deserve an Academy award for not laughing hysterically or making some inappropriate, but totally knee-slapping, response to his rather provocative declaration, but I didn't know the guy and didn't want to offend him. In retrospect, considering the way his buddies were laughing and raiding their beer bottles on high, I'm pretty sure either reaction would've been perfectly acceptable. In any language.

Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.


26 comments:

  1. Loved the names of those restaurants, thanks for the laugh! Have a great time whatever you are up to, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon Fatt sounds like truth in advertising to me. Love the restaurant names, and applaud your restraint.
    Have a heap of fun where ever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your break! Those restaurants are worth a good chuckle. I'd say the young man was enjoying his name a bit too much. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny, friend Sue. Pics as well your write up in general. Reminds me of our China man and his lil hotel room business above the town bar. Guests are warned by the following signage: "U sheet on ma bed - I sheet on Ur head." Anyway … enjoy your time away, eh? Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan - enjoy the break with a side-dish of sand or otherwise ... hope you check the restaurant out first though - you never know what you'll be offered - we have excellent pubs here ... slug and lettuce ones: any good?! Your 'Hung' chap sounds enterprising ... and polite ... coming over to talk to you. Take care and have loadsa fun ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun review and I want to visit Happy Crack restaurant. Hope you are enjoying a good week and there isn't sand where the sun don't shine. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd expect a lot from Happy Crack!
    Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very funny repeat post. It started my morning off just right - with lots of good belly laughs.

    You have the same wonderful face, Susan, that you had when you were a child.

    I hope you are having a great time wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe it's because of my former career teaching foreign languages, but bad translations crack me up like nothing else. I once ate at an Italian restaurant (in Germany) with an English menu. The Straciatella soup (basically egg drop soup) was listed as "sludge deposit soup."
    Thanks for the funny photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were such an adorable child! Yes, I well remember that awful feeling of sand in my suit. I don't recall having seen these pictures before … what a hoot they are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha finding out I was going to my dung or butty boys would have me turning around and going back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you catch some fish. I had to chuckle at the Houmg story. Sometimes cross-cultural encounters can be humorous.

    I also recently posted a post from 2011

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post love your memory of the fishing, sand and Mum !
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  14. My grandsons' maternal grampa is named Hung. When we first met, I told him my name and he said,"I am Hung." I bowed and so did he, then we hugged. You get the 'n' out of hung and the remainder is hug. Hung and I have been through a lot in our lives and friendship, but the bow and embrace have remained our greeting for 16 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time a guy told me he was "hung" it was at a gay bar in Hollywood.

      (I probably shouldn't post this, but couldn't resist....)

      Delete
  15. Susan, I have many miserable memories of getting sand in my swim trunks. What I HATED the most, however, was the woolen suit I had to wear to church on Sunday. The itching was torture!!!

    Those signs are really hilarious! It's impossible to choose a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't decide which name frightens me the most.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha - these signs are too funny.

    There's a Vietnamese restaurant near where I work; the owner's name is Hung, too. Must be a common name.

    One of my friends lives in Lake City. She told me they have a Chinese restaurant there with the name of Fu King. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those signs are funny.

    Wherever you are, I hope you are having a great time.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh my! ROFL at these signs! Such funny ones!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's a local Chinese restaurant called Wok San. Of course it's known as "You Don't Have to Put on a Red Dress"
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s anxiously adroit Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  21. Butty Boys is a thing? :) Thanks for the fried rice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susan, Hello! I'm back to blogging...for real this time. I love the photo of you and your mom on the beach. We must be about the same age, because your little bathing suit looks similar to something I wore. Looking forward to you coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Who ever would go to Vagina Tandoori? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the picture of you and your Mom. Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete