Wednesday, May 6, 2020

In the Zone

Thought for the day:  Hopeful thinking can get you our of your fear zone and into your appreciation zone.  [Martha Beck]

Yes, indeedy. It's that time again, people.  Yet another month has slipped through our fingers, and it is once again time for our IWSG monthly posts. As always, thanks to our fearless leader, Alex Cavanaugh, for founding this fine group, and thanks to all the other nurturing guys and gals who've helped turn it into the thriving community it is today. I'm telling ya, this group offers better support and lift than the world's most expensive bra. (No pesky underwires, either!) To join this super duper supportive group of writers and to see links to other participating blogs, please go HERE


Well, yes sirree, I took most of the month of April off from blogging, ostensibly to get back to my poor neglected manuscript, which has been gathering dust for the past year. I knew it would be difficult to get back into the groove after so long, but um, I failed to even find the darned groove. To tell the truth, I didn't spend much time looking for it, either. I still believe in the value of the story I want to tell, but the truth is, I don't know if I can regain the enthusiasm it requires to get 'er done or not. At least, not right now, because I'm having a hard time believing writing even... matters. (Yeah, I know. Blasphemy, eh?) But I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

Because of my current situation, this month's question is particularly pertinent:

Do you have any rituals that you use when you need help getting into the ZONE? Care to share?


[image: unsplash]
Well, that's a real challenge, isn't it? Or as someone much smarter than I said, "Therein lies the rub..."

OY! I'd LOVE to get back into the normal zone again. I really would. I'd love to fire that ol' football into the end zone in a perfect spiral, right into the hands of a deft receiver. Woo HOO! Touchdown!

Or, um... I'd settle for a few successfully written pages.

Unfortunately, I seem to have... dropped the ball. And rather than trying to recover it, I've retreated to the bench. I don't feel like playing.

The zone is a state of mind which is marked by a sense of calmness. In addition, there is a heightened sense of awareness and focus. Actions seem effortless and there is an increased belief that your dreams or goals can become achievable and real. In addition, there is also a sense of deep enjoyment when the person is in this unique, special, and magical state of being. [Dr. Jay Granat, sports psychologist]

[image: unsplash]
You ever been in that kind of zone? The closest I've ever been was at the bowling alley some years ago. At the time, I bowled on multiple leagues, and I was pretty good... but certainly not great. But that one night... it was as though I could do no wrong. STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! Some of my balls curved into the pocket like magic, but even the ones that weren't exactly on target resulted in yet another strike. It was incredible! A crowd gathered behind our lanes, watching and cheering me on, but  I could barely hear them for the pounding of my heart. I could barely breathe.

And I blew it. Got a split in the tenth frame and ended up with a 261. But man oh man, it sure felt good while it lasted. It felt good when I was writing regularly every day, too, but if I were to compare what's happening now to what happened in that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to roll a perfect game, I haven't just rolled a split in the tenth frame. I didn't roll a ball at all. I simply shoved it back into my bag and retreated to the lounge to sing some karaoke.

[image: unsplash]

Alas, my bowling days are over, but it's probably just as well. Judging by how lost I feel these days, I'd probably roll the ball in the wrong direction.

It's the same with writing. I've been in the zone there before, too, but I'm having a hard time finding my way back. Then again, I'm not looking very hard, either.

[image: unsplash]




Sure, I used to have some writing rituals. I learned to write first thing in the morning... before I even allowed myself to read the newspaper. And I'd stop writing for the day right in the middle of a scene, which made it easier to get back to it the next day.

Now, it's like my inner self is rebelling. Reading the newspaper comes first. Writing generally loses out, because there's always something else that requires my attention.

Clearly, I need some new rituals if I ever want to finish my book(s). (Or maybe I just need to get back to the old rituals.)


                                                    But rituals don't always work.


[image: wikimedia]
Not that I'm not in the zone... of course I am! For better or worse, we're all in some kinda zone. The problem is, it feels like I've ventured into the twilight zone.

Life has been rather surreal for the past year. Between my husband's whack-a-mole battles with cancer and now, this pandemic, somehow, whether or not I write doesn't seem to matter very much in the scheme of things, ya know?

What matters most is spending time with  my husband. What matters is laughing and making the most of each day. In due time, perhaps writing will regain its level of importance in my life that it once enjoyed. But ya know what? If it doesn't, I'm okay with that. Life is good. And besides, writing isn't the only game in town. (Think I'm too old for football...?)

How about you? How do you get... and keep... yourself in the zone? Go on... I'm all ears...



                                        Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

65 comments:

  1. Love that last photo! I think everyone needs to find a way to get back on track, but sometimes we forget to switch on the light to find the track! Have a great day, stay safe, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! It looks like that rabbit is posing for the picture.

      Getting back on track sounds great, doesn't it? But while we're stuck wandering in the wilderness, I reckon we should try to make the most of it.

      Take care, dear lady. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  2. No rituals for me. I am just in the habit of sitting down of an evening either before or after supper (sometimes both if I'm feeling energetic) and spending an hour or so on something writing-related. Whether it's actually writing, or editing, critiquing, or whatever doesn't matter, as long as it takes me closer to publishing the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your non-ritual ritual of writing every evening is working out well for you. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  3. That perfect zone? NOT one I know.
    I think your priorities are perfect though (while selfishly hoping that your writing mojo dances back into your life in the fullness of time).
    In the interim, keep loving, keep laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just as well that we don't live in the perfect zone, because we probably wouldn't appreciate it.

      Thank you, sweet lady. I really appreciate your support. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan - perfect for me would be a neat place to live in!! But I'm not writing a book ... when I've had to write - I put all other things away and necessity becomes the mother of invention - it gets done. You've had lots of other things and life today ... as you say it'll happen in due time - things always seem to work out that way and there's no point in stressing about it. Just take care, do what you need to do ... and all the best staying safe and well - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. Yep, you're right. There isn't much sense in stressing about anything. What will be, will be, and in the history of mankind, I don't believe worrying ever changed a thing. We just have to hang on and make the best of it.

      Take care. Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Dear Susan, you've got a lot going on right now. I've observed Norma helping her incredibly handsome husband through heart and lung problems, cancer, while spending a half-year attending to her mother's last illness, her brother's installment into a care home and dealing with the estate. She is now guardian of our property --I am no longer fit enough to chase trespassers away. I only wish I had ears like the rabbit in your closing photo, INCANDESCENT EARS! Then, at least, my enemies would think I am radioactive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Geo,

      Don't we all? Your Norma is an incredibly strong woman, but you don't need me to tell you that. It's amazing how capable we are at bearing heavy burdens when we have no other choice.

      But, dude! You don't need incandescent ears to chase your enemies away, because I'm quite sure you don't have any enemies. To know ya is to love ya. Take care.

      Delete
  6. I keep trying to figure out if I need new rituals/routines or if I should just muscle through and get back into the old ones. Sigh.

    You hang in there, and you focus on what feels right for you and for Smarticus now. Wishing you both all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, I kinda think adhering to set rituals borders on superstition. Getting things done requires more determination than superstition, and muscling through may, indeed, be the answer. (When we're ready, though... when we're ready...)

      Take care, sweet lady.

      Delete
  7. The writing zone will come back. Sometimes we do have to sit on the bench for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting on the bench ain't so bad. At least it's springtime, and the weather is lovely.

      Delete
  8. I don't know that I have a zone. If the idea occurs to me and I write it down, maybe that's it or maybe the writing keeps flowing. I haven't written a single word on my chapters for several months now and that doesn't bother me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you haven't felt like working on your chapters for the past few months, but if you're okay with it, so am I. Hopefully, our fictional worlds will still be there waiting for us when things settle down.

      Delete
  9. The current stress of life has been hard on us all. Just be patient. When the time is right for you to write, you will. That's what I'm banking on, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am. I'll be patient. (You do the same!) We'll get there... eventually.

      Delete
  10. This certainly has been a lot like the Twilight Zone lately. You'll find your zone again when you're ready for it. Besides you're totally focusing on the right things - time with hubby and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Twilight Zone was a really cool show, but it ain't all that hot in real life, is it?

      Delete
  11. Be gentle on yourself. You have many heavy distractions right now. Celebrate any writing or inspiration you feel. Take care of yourself and your husband.

    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're doing exactly what you should be doing. I admire your strength and I love your positive attitude! You, my dear, are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, kiddo. (I do believe you're a teensy bit biased...) (Thanks! I appreciate it.)

      Delete
  13. I don't make a zone for writing, it is my zone. If it isn't happening right now, then I say, give it time to come back. Seasons change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your attitude!

      Yeah, I'm giving it as much time as it needs. Thanks.

      Delete
  14. The fact that you're not quite ready to give up is all that matters. I hope you find that spark you need to get 'er done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  15. I'm pretty much zoned out right now. Reading seems to be my 'Calgon take me away!' I've been reading a lot. Good for our brain muscles they say. Anyway a good book is to be applauded as it takes us away to places we've never been. I've learned so much from books that I'd never have known otherwise. They are my best friends. So I have to applaud all the writers out there that keep me going. Try to remember this is only one season of your life and just like seasons of the year, this too will pass. Nothing ever stays the same. Change is the name of the game, it will always come. Meanwhile you are doing the best you can and choosing what's important in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is my favorite escape, too. And music.

      Thanks, MA. Your words are very comforting.

      Delete
  16. It can be hard to find the zone nevermind get in it these days! I do have better luck when I don't indulge in any news, FB, scrabble, or blogs before settling down, but damn it's hard not to look! I hope you and Smarticus stay well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting into the zone might be easier if I could ignore the news, but I'm a hopeless addict when it comes to the newspaper.

      You take care and stay well, too!

      Delete
  17. Thanks for your candor, Susan. Good to know you're not obsessing nor beating yourself up, forcing a fix. Unusual times call for improvisation, and it sounds like you've got a good handle on what really matters. I've not given up on my love of reading, but it's been 7 years now since I lost the ability to lose myself in a good book. Must remember, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under Heaven."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did kinda feel like "true confession" time, didn't it? :)

      Yes, indeed. You're right. (Now I've gotta put Simon & Garfunkle on...)

      Take care, dear lady.

      Delete
  18. I've been feeling lost and off track since the pandemic began too. I am hoping I will circle back around again eventually. Thinking of you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like feeling lost and off track is the new norm for most of us. I'm sure you'll circle back around. (Just think about that adorable granddaughter of yours...)

      Thanks. I appreciate it. Take care.

      Delete
  19. It does feel like the Twilight Zone.

    I think I've bowled a strike. At least once. I know I've had a lot of gutter balls. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. (And we can't even change the channel!)

      Only one strike, huh? What that tells me is you never cared much about bowling, because you "strike" me as the kinda gal who accomplishes whatever she sets her mind to doing.

      Delete
  20. Early last year, I started the book I'm writing now. A close family member had a fatal heart attack in February that threw my life into instant turmoil that resulted in a 200-mile move six months later. I didn't write again until late January of this year.

    It took me a few weeks to really get back to the story and into the characters' heads. But the overall writing has gone well. I think it's because this story steeped in my head for a year and my subconscious worked out many of the kinks and found the best what-if in all the instances.

    Knock on wood, when I sit down to write now - mostly in the afternoons - the words flow. I know where to go. I hear the characters talking. I hope it continues, because it's wonderful to write at a good pace instead of like a turtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd moved, but I didn't know the underlying reason. You're bad-ass, girl. You did what you had to do. I'm glad you've been able to get back to your writing. The world needs more Gracie. But, um, for me, when I am writing, my "good pace" IS like a turtle. :)

      Delete
  21. I hear you. I myself am trying to get back on track and not doing very well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling, too. Hang in there.

      Delete
  22. Bah, it will get done when it gets done. If it doesn't, at least you spent time doing things that are important to you. Life has to take priority. It is great to see ideas done and out there, but the world's not going to end if they don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just what I needed to hear, grasshopper. :)

      Delete
  23. You've just juggled a lot with health issues. You've stayed in that zone for your husband and there's only room for one zone. The writing will come back when it needs to. Your story is there. Editing can wait. And we'll wait too - we are hanging in your friend zone. You've got a lot of cheerleading backup if you drop the mental ball. It's okay to say crap, but we are keeping you on your feet,halfway sane, and blogging. Look to us for reassurance and yes, I'll sit on the bench ....sorta near you. Take care, my friend. It's just crazy - that's all we have to say right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stinker. You made me cry.

      Thank you. Really. I appreciate your kindness and support more than you'll ever know.

      Delete
  24. I feel this post so much. I just wanted to tell you aren't alone. Don't beat yourself up for struggling right now. I think we all are to a degree.

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Current situation is that it is Full Moon. Never underestimate the power of a full moon. Change always hurts, doesn't it, friend Sue? Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, change doesn't always hurt, even for a stubborn likes-things-the -way-they-are person like me, but most of the changes that have occurred in our house this past year haven't been for the better. I wish I could blame it all on the phase of the moon, because that is forever changing. It's our responsibility to adapt. Take care, sweet cat. Much love back atcha.

      Delete
  26. Susan, It seems like you have your priorities in order, and continuing to put dear Smarticus first will enrich both of your lives. You’ve already published two incredible novels, along with a charming poetry anthology, not to mention all of your other impressive accomplishments. Oh, and we can’t forget your loving children and grandchildren. So I think you’re more than entitled to a break from writing. I hope Smarticus is responding well to the treatments, and please take extra good care of yourself too. I’m always around if you feel like talking. xo

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I appreciate the pep talk. :)

      Take care, sweet lady. xo

      Delete
  27. Hello, Susan!
    Very good post. I think everything - not only writing - has been hard these days. I don't kow about you, but I feel tired most of the time. I feel like sleeping, sleeping, sleeping...

    I hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ana!

      Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I'm sorry it resonated with you so much. Yes, it has been hard, and I understand you wanting to sleep until it has all passed like a bad nightmare.

      Take care, sweet lady, and stay well!

      Delete
  28. Well, Susan, you're in good company right now. Taking care of your husband and finding reasons to laugh sound like great priorities to me. A lot of us are having time focusing on writing. The pandemic with shelter-in-place has shoved the Muse away. She will return when the time is right, when we accept the new normal (whatever that is) and other issues take a backseat. As someone above said, you have a group of friends here. We're hanging with you, commiserating and encouraging. Stay well. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have read: having a hard time focusing

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Diane. I reckon taking care of my husband and laughing have always been high priorities for me, but nowadays, they're pretty much my ONLY priorities. And perhaps that's exactly as it should be right now.

      You stay well, too. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  29. HI Susan,

    I can relate, especially now with the world the way it is. You will find you inspiration again when you least expect it. We can't force these things. Safe safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Michael.

      Nope, we shall force no creativity before its time. :) You stay safe, too, dude.

      Delete
  30. Who needs a zone? Right now we are all hiding , scrambling and trying our best to handle what is and breathing deeply. I have been a caretaker to a loved one quite a few times, and it is so very hard, both emotionally and physically. You have your priorities in the right order, dear Susan, and that is love, love and love. I hope you have some help here and there, even if it is just a phone call from a person who will allow you to cry on their shoulder. We don’t have to be brave all the time.

    I wish we were neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your words mean so much, and I deeply appreciate them. My best gal pal is my shoulder of choice, but I'm careful not to overdo, because she's going through cancer treatments now, too.

      I wish we were neighbors, too.

      Delete
  31. Susan, my current WIP arrived like a determined alien kicking its way out of my gut - and now it's asleep. Too much energy gone elsewhere! We are all experiencing this, and you have Sparticus to consider, it would be odd if you could think of much else right now.
    My creative trick is to have various projects on the go, and switch between them as and when the whim dictates - so I am writing my journal and some highly silly short stories because that can be done in little doses.
    Sending love, dear ones xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's good to know I'm not alone. It seems a LOT of us can't concentrate on our WEPs right now. Writing silly short stories sounds like a great alternative. Hang in there, kiddo.

      Love back atcha.

      Delete