Friday, September 28, 2018

Don't Mess Up My Do!

Thought for the day: I came; I saw; I conquered. [Julius Caesar]


[source: morguefile]

Well, good for ol' Julius, I say. Me? I'm more in the I came; I saw; I took a picture camp. I mean, the idea of climbing a mountain simply because it's there holds absolutely no appeal to me. Nada. Zilch. Zero. If that makes me a wimp, sobeit. At least, I'm still alive.

I also have no desire to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, be shot out of a cannon, tame a tiger or go swimming in a waterfall.



                                           Check out this short video of Niagara Falls:



 Horseshoe Falls, AKA the Canadian Falls, is the largest of the three waterfalls that make up the Niagara Falls, which lie on the border between Ontario and New York. It's 167 feet (51 m) high and 2700 feet (820 m) wide. Amazing, isn't it? So what do you think when you look at this massive amount of roaring water? Something along the lines of WOW? I mean it's breathtakingly beautiful, which is why it's been a favorite honeymoon destination for so many years. It's kinda humbling, too, to see such a powerful force on display.

So. How many of you look at it and think, I believe I'd like to conquer all that power? Come on... show of hands. Nobody? All right, then. At least I know I'm not the only wimp around here. Unlike us, people have been challenging the falls since the 1800s. Why? Um, because it's there, I suppose.

These old photos from Wikicommons show daredevil Charles Blondin, who, in 1859,  thought it'd be a fine idea to take a stroll across the Niagara Falls gorge on a tightrope. From one hundred sixty feet above the river gorge, to be precise, on a three-inch thick cable stretching 1100 feet. No safety equipment at all. Just his balancing pole. The dude was so sure of his success, he even offered to carry someone over on his back. (What a guy!) Alas, no one took him up on the offer. (Musta been a bunch of wimps like us.)





But that was just his first attempt. In subsequent crossings, he walked the tightrope while blindfolded, pushed a wheelbarrow, and yes... even carried someone across on his back. His agent. His brave... or crazy as a bedbug... agent. (I sure hope he got paid more than the standard 10% for that gig.)








After Blondin's feat, others replicated the gorge crossing... because they could, I suppose. But it wasn't until 2012 that someone actually walked the tightrope over the falls themselves.
 
                                                    The famous daredevil Nik Wallenda:


Not interested in taking a stroll on a tightrope, huh? Nah, me neither. Heck, I twisted my ankle just walking across the bedroom floor last week. .. no tightrope involved. For sure, my middle name isn't Grace, and with good reason. So if not a tightrope, how about a... barrel?

[source: wikipedia]
Would you believe the first person to survive a trip over Niagara Falls in a barrel was... a woman?! Not that I think women are less courageous than men; it's more a matter of believing women are, shall we say... less rash. Not only was Annie Edison Taylor the very first person to make that plunge successfully, but she did it on her sixty-third birthday! (What did you do on your sixty-third birthday...?) What? Oh yeah, a lot of you haven't even hit 63 yet. Sorry about that. So what are the chances you might try something like this when you do hit 63? I don't remember what I did... but I can guaran-damn-tee ya, it was a far far cry from doing that.

In 1901, Annie, a widow fearful of ending up in the poorhouse, rode the barrel over the falls with the hope of gaining a better financial future. Her custom-made barrel of oak and iron was padded with a mattress, and after being tossed overboard from a boat, the river carried her barrel to and over Horseshoe Falls. She came through the ordeal relatively unscathed, with only a small cut on her head. Know what she said afterwards? If it was with my dying breath, I would caution anyone against attempting the feat... I would sooner walk up to the mouth of a cannon, knowing it was going to blow me to pieces than make another trip over the Falls.

So. I guess it wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs, huh? What's more, her financial security was brief-lived. She earned a bit of money traveling around with her barrel and giving speeches, but her manager absconded with her barrel. The cad. She used her meager savings to track him and her barrel down, only to have him and the barrel disappear again. She lived out her life working as a clairvoyant and providing magnetic therapeutic treatments. (If she were a clairvoyant, I wonder why she couldn't find her barrel...?)

[source: wikipedia]
One last wackaddoodle daredevil. Bobby Leach was a circus performer and stuntman, who often bragged that anything Annie could do, he could do better. So in July of 1911, he took the plunge in his barrel, becoming the second person to succeed. He survived, but he also spent six months in the hospital recuperating from his many injuries, including two broken knees and a fractured jaw. And yet... and yet... he became quite famous, much much more so than poor Annie ever did. (Reminds me of a Virginia Wolfe quote: For most of history, anonymous was a woman.) At any rate, Leach made good money touring Canada, the U.S. and England, giving speeches about his death-defying plunge over the falls, showing off his barrel and posing for pictures. In a strange twist of fate, this self-aggrandizing stuntman and daredevil was killed, not by some death-defying act, but by a dastardly banana peel. While on a publicity tour in New Zealand in 1926, he slipped on said peel and injured his leg in the fall. The injury got infected, he got gangrene, and he succumbed two months later. Such irony. It wasn't the appeal of dangerous feats that did him in... it was a lowly peel.I'm sure there's a moral in that story somewhere.

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. [Muhammed Ali]

 I say staying alive is a pretty darned good accomplishment

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. [Martin Luther King, Jr.]

Agreed. Kinda makes me think of the state of world politics right now. And just as I choose not to dive into Niagara Falls, I also choose to steer clear of talking politics these days. Rather than plunge into the chaotic roar, I'll wear a slicker and stand at a nice safe distance with the other tourists, where the mist may reach me, but I won't drown in negativity. Because, you know, I wouldn't want to mess up my do.

                           Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

56 comments:

  1. LOVE the Virginia Wolfe comment. I am very happy to join a crowd of my friends - the Wimpettes. We sing, we dance, we laugh - and we survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I think that's a terrific quote, and I betcha it's also very true.

      Yes! The Wimpettes! I could be a member of that group! I song... I (used to) dance... I definitely laugh... and well, so far, so good on the survival. :)

      Delete
  2. I used to want to go and see Niagara Falls, but these days I'm content viewing it online. I'd quite like to swim under a waterfall, but something much more gentle and smaller. I wonder about the force of the water at Niagara, if you could stand or swim under there even for a few moments, would it be the best body massage ever? or would it flay the skin and/or flesh from your bones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd still like to see the Falls someday, but I've also become a bit of an old poop. Wait. Let's rephrase that. I've become more of a homebody. Content with life. If we ever go, I know we'll love it, but if we don't? Like you say, I can see the world online.

      HA! Good musings. I think the force of the water would be a lot more painful than therapeutic. Now a gentle waterfall... I think that would feel like heaven.

      Delete
  3. I think I will never be a hero in this sense, and don't really see any point in these spectacular acts. Okay, if people want to do it, they should, but I don't need to. I think people who fight fires, rescue or protect others and who just get on with living their lives the biggest heroes. Have a fine day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you about heroism. Someone who deliberately risks his life purely to do some foolhardy daredevil stunt is NOT a "hero" in my book. However, if he risks his life to save someone else... bingo! That's being a hero.

      You have a wonderful day, too. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  4. As someone who gets panic attacks just going to Walmart, I can assure you that I'm no daredevil. I'm a courageous armchair adventurer.

    My parents visited Niagara Falls when I was two years old. Needless to say, I don't remember much about it.

    Holy crap, that Nik Wallenda video is a real nail-biter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! "A courageous armchair adventurer"... great description. I'll admit being in that category, too, but I think you and I would agree that you've shown great courage in other ways, as well. Sometimes, enduring in spite of what life throws us is the most courageous act of all.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that sure sucks. Gotta watch those banana peels. It takes skill to do some of this things, or lack of brains in the case of the agent, but what is the point? The attention? That's all I can figure out. Or they are just a nutball and/or a adrenaline junkie. Just do to it? No thanks. I'll go about my day and avoid banana peels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sucks, but it's a little funny, too, and it applies to all of us. While we're worrying about the big things, it can be the seemingly insignificant things that nail us. I reckon it's a waste of time to worry about anything. Que sera sera...

      Beats me. THAT kind of attention I can do without. Just imagine the headlines: Old Broad Dies in Trip Over Her Ego.

      Delete
  6. I promise, for my sixty-third birthday, I will not go over the falls in a barrel. I think it's illegal to try, isn't it?
    I'm with you. Not jumping out of a perfectly good airplane or anything.
    I think Blondin's agent was crazier than he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your wife will hold you to that promise. :)

      It probably IS against the law to go over the falls in a barrel. With all of the nutso laws still on the books, surely that one is there.

      Agreed. Getting on a daredevil's back while he performs a stunt is off-the-wall nuts.

      Delete
  7. I'll sit on the bench with you and just make wise cracks. Our hair will look great.
    Enjoy your weekend. We are finally "cooler" here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okeydoke! Sounds like a plan. I'll sit on the bench and make wise cracks with you any old time. However, I must confess. My hair NEVER looks great. :)

      You have a super weekend, too. It's getting a little "cooler" here, too, but it still doesn't feel like autumn. Maybe soon...

      Delete
  8. Like you I'd rather snap a picture. I'm not much of a daredevil at all. Most days it seems like all I can do is keep myself on track. It is a challenge to conquer the sea of negativity. Keeping positive is work in itself. I try to stay away from negative people but that is not always possible. The news is filled with more and more of it everyday. Keeping positive is getting harder. But we cannot let others control our thoughts and I'm with you ...Don't let anyone mess with my do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Staying positive in a sea of negativity is a huge challenge. Quite honestly, the sunny attitude you exude in your posts is one of the things that helps keep me afloat.

      Delete
  9. A woman was first? Good for her.

    I'm a daredevil when it comes to roller coasters but I like my thrills with a hedge of safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Who'd a thunk a WOMAN would be the first to barrel over the Falls and live to tell about it???

      Smart lady. Have fun, but buckle your seatbelt.

      Delete
  10. No daredevil I, but I enjoyed these stories of foolhardy courage. And I agree with you about Dr. King's quote being applicable today--alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed them. And I think a LOT of Dr. King's quotes are still applicable.

      Delete
  11. Not remembering my 63rd birthday, realizing my mortality, and replacing worn out parts, has left me a bit skittish of risky activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. When I was a kid, I was always doing risky things "on a dare," but my worn-out parts make me more skittish these days, too. (Or maybe we're just smarter... yeah, that must be it!)

      Delete
  12. I saw Niagara Falls (but not from a barrel or a tightrope) & they were magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they are! I get excited about LITTLE waterfalls, so I can just imagine what it must be like to see something as massive as Niagara in person. Oh, and I'm very glad to hear you didn't barrel or walk a tightrope. :)

      Delete
  13. I would like to apply for full membership in the Wimpette's club, please, friend Sue … as my husband can assure you, that this cat can't even stand on chair without getting dizzy … thus his favourite saying: How many cats does it take in order to change a light bulb … smiles … Awesome post, friend … and thank you in advance for accepting my application … Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I don't remember my 63rd birthday either, because it's coming up in December … but know for sure that I won't be doing dangerous things like changing light bulbs … smiles … c.

      Delete
    2. Welcome to the club! (I think there may be more of US than there are of them...)

      Cool. I'm a December baby, too. :) (But I WON'T be turning 63...)

      Delete
    3. December 13th … If my dad was still alive, he would say: "You are not 63 … you are 36" … smiles … (and last year I was 26 and the year before that I was 16 and the year before that I was 6) … smiles … Happy weekend, friend Sue. Much love, cat.

      Delete
    4. No way! That's MY birthday, too! :) And it's ALSO Jon's! How about that? It's a small world...

      Have a wonderful weekend, dear cat.

      Delete
  14. I'm with you. I have no desire to go searching for risky adventures. It seems like life hands me enough adventure already without me looking for it. Hope you have a nice, quiet, unadventurous weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, HA! Yet another member for our Wimpettes' club.

      I hope you have a super weekend, too. Ya know, with the right attitude, everything's an adventure. :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Susan - 63rd? Have I got there? Have I 'be - done it'? The fog has just cleared ... yes I have and I was definitely a wimp that day. Honestly going down a river in a barrel is stupid enough ... but I remember 'learning' about young Mrs Taylor ... she must have been cracked - and amazing she came out alive ... wretched men ... so unfair to have her barrel taken twice by her grotty manager. Tightrope walking - no thanks ... I'll hit January and enjoy my birthday times then ... probably trying to stay out of the snow!! But fun post - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please check out info re comments on one I made on a previous post - two back I think ... maybe one? Sorry now muddled! Where you just replied to a comment I made ... I added another in - hope it helps ... cheers H

      Delete
    2. Hi-ya, Hilary. It's nice to know there are so many of us wimps (i.e. SANE) people around.

      Thank you, thank you, thank you! I followed your advise on the other comment, and now my fingers are crossed. I didn't have to do what you said exactly, because there was no email address listed in that spot. Funny, because I always USED to get the comments via email and then they stopped dead. Anyhow, thank you. I appreciate the help. If it works, I won't have to worry about missing someone comment any more. Cheers!

      Delete
  16. I've always been fascinated with Niagara … and the Wallenda family. But definitely at a safe distance, equipped with a life jacket and parachute. I just can't wrap my mind around dare devils' mindsets -- and enormously relieved to know I'm not the only wimp in Blogland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, there are a lot more of us wimps than there are daredevils. (And I betcha WE live longer!)

      Delete
  17. The Niagara Falls woman really grabbed my attention. Wow! Now THAT is real courage. The bravest thing I've ever done (so far) is tackle three brats that were beating up a student in grade school because she was very poor and didn't always smell that great. We actually ended up becoming good friends. I rather hang out with a smelly person than a bully any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don;t know if I'd describe it so much as courage as I would foolhardiness. At least she did it with a concrete purpose in mind... she needed the money. What YOU did is far more courageous. And I, too, would much rather hang out with a smelly person than I would with a bully... and I often did. Have a wonderful weekend, Dylan.

      Delete
  18. The daredevils that really give me the shivers are those climbers who climb steep cliffs and skyscrapers with no safety equipment whatsoever. Definitely not for me!

    BTW - I always remember banana peels as stock comic book hazards (in my youth, half a century ago) and yet I've never seen or heard of anyone actually slipping on one. Was it a more common occurrence in bygone days, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those climbers are something else. I wouldn't climb a steep cliff or skyscraper even WITH the safety equipment. (I'd have to stop waaaay to often to take a rest...)

      Good point. I dunno. Maybe banana peels aren't as slippery as they once were... or people have simply learned not to step on 'em.

      Delete
  19. The way to break your parent's heart is to be a daredevil. My mother taught me to be a scaredy cat and as a result, I am still here.

    "It wasn't the appeal of dangerous feats that did him in... it was a lowly peel." When you wrote of the stuntman falling on the banana peel, I just knew you were going to do something with that sentence. You had to do it (I would). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents didn't raise me to be a scaredy cat. In fact, I was quite a daredevil as a kid. The fact that I'm still here is due more to good luck than any due diligence on my part. NOW I'm more of a scaredy cat... or pragmatic. That sounds better.

      HA! I'm glad I didn't disappoint you. :) Great minds think alike.

      Delete
  20. I'm with ya sister...I watched Nick W. cross the falls on the tightrope and thought "what an idiot".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. If I want to risk my life doing something dangerous and foolhardy, I'll drive in Atlanta traffic...

      Delete
  21. Most of my earlier stunts were performed between Jan 1942 until Aug 1945, and some lesser hazardous stunts in later years. They were all involuntary, but necessary for survival.
    Idiotic stunts are not my favourite pastime. I even get giddy looking down at my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those "stunts" you "performed" during the war fall into a whole different category entirely. And I thank you for doing them.

      Delete
  22. I loved the video of Niagara Falls. Wishing I could visit some day and actually see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks absolutely gorgeous, doesn't it? I hope to see it in person someday, too.

      Delete
  23. I'm with you. My idea of excitement is riding a bike, with a helmet on a bike path at slow speeds. I am not an adventure seeker.

    I visited Niagara Falls. Nit once did I imagine jumping off. Maybe I was too worried about whether or not there was a whirlpool under the water and was it inescapable if the Maid of the Mist sank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the lower the bar gets for what I'd call an "adventure." With the right attitude, even a trip to the store can be adventurous.

      I'm glad you visited the Falls. And even more glad you didn't jump in. :)

      Delete
  24. I am late as usual....
    Love the Virginia Wolfe comment !
    Fabulous.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling ya... there's no such thing as being late in the blogosphere. Whenever you can show up is the perfect time.

      Me, too. Ms. Wolfe was one smart lady.

      Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  25. That quote by Mohammed Ali is quite powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. For him, the pen truly was mightier than the sword.

      Delete
  26. I have been to Niagara falls three times and stared for them for an hour each time and we also went on the boat that almost goes underneath!
    I once skied off a cliff in St Moritz on a hang-glider. My wife, Leah, quite rightly told me I must have been insane with two young daughters, a business and a mortage etc.
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s recondite Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Three times, huh? That's awesome, and I don't blame you for staring at them for so long. I'm sure I'd do the same... that's kinda the way I am at museums, too. :)

      Yipes! I hope that adventure got the daredevil stuff out of your system. (Bet it was FUN, though!)

      Delete