Friday, March 1, 2019

The Secret Lives of Cats

Thought for the day:   In ancient times, cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this. [Terry Patchett]


Our cats as kittens: Dash on the left, and Dot on the right
It's been a while since I did a post about things I've learned from my pets, and I have a sneaky feeling our cats are trying to tell me they want me... expect me... to write about them today. Dot's lying on top of the printer beside me, looking at me accusingly through half-closed eyes, while Dash is alternating between parking her derriere on the keyboard and standing in front of the monitor, swishing her tail in my face like a preening peacock.

A catless writer is almost inconceivable. It's a perverse taste, really, since it would be easier to write with a herd of buffalo in the room than even one cat; they make nests in the notes and bite the end of the pen and walk on the typewriter keys. [Barbara Holland]



            They're both staring at me now. Yep, they definitely want me to write about them.

Cats are the ultimate narcissists. You can tell this because of all the time they spend on personal grooming. A dog's idea of personal grooming is to roll on a dead fish.  [James Gorman]

So, our girls are a lot bigger than they were when they first wormed their way into our hearts at the animal shelter almost ten years ago. And they've taught us quite a few things over the years. (Or as they'd probably put it... they've trained us well.)

                         Like... did you know cats aren't equipped with snooze buttons?

An early morning selfie of our daughter and her oh-so-helpful "time to get up" cat Mrs. Flynn. 

And no matter how big they are, they can wriggle into the smallest places imaginable...  A cat determined not to be found can fold itself up like a pocket handkerchief if it wants to.  [Louis J. Camuti]

[image courtesy of seniorark]

Dash, especially. She can curl up into the teeniest ball and scrunch into the smallest boxes and containers. Dot, on the other hand, prefers to sprawl and let it all hang out...

[image courtesy of seniorark]

Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you.  [Mary Bly]

A cat isn't fussy... just so long as you remember he likes his milk in the shallow rose-patterned saucer and his fish on the blue plate. From which he will take it, and eat off the floor.  [Arthur Bridges]

Now, don't get me wrong. Sure, cats can occasionally be a tad stand-offish. And, yeah, it's entirely possible that they consider us their staff. Or their furniture, or personal scratching posts or jungle gyms. But they're cuddle bunnies, too. When they want to be. When it's convenient for them. Like when I'm trying to read the newspaper, or work at the computer, or sleep... I mean, who doesn't like to wake up with a cat licking her face?



I'm usually the nighttime jungle gym of choice for our girls, and the one who's swatted and reminded oh-so-sweetly that they're starving to death in the early morning. Ever since she was big enough to get onto our king-sized bed, that's where Dash has spent almost every night. Usually somewhere on top of me. On my stomach, on my chest, on my neck, on my face. Doesn't matter, because she doesn't usually stay in one place for very long. See, she likes to... hop around. Explore. Crawl under the covers, lie still for five minutes, and then ta-DA! pop back out. Lots of head-butting, purring and nose-kisses, too. My favorite is when she climbs up on the headboard and jumps down on my face...

And I... let her. Which is why she still does it. Dot, on the other hand, is usually much more polite about it. She's happy to lie beside me, glued to my body, and she generally stays put most of the night. If she wants to navigate past us, she politely walks around or jumps over. Not Dash. She's a damn-the-torpedos-full-speed-ahead kinda gal. She plows straight ahead and blithely stomps right across us to get wherever she's going. She may also pause in place, as if she's waiting for a bus. Nothing like having those four little paws digging into your posterior while she pauses to take a breather. Then, she launches, which is a whole 'nother adventure altogether.

But as anyone who has a cat well knows, what a cat always does or always likes is always changing. Their favorite place to nap is never constant, and the food they gobble one day is the same food they turn their noses up at the next. They follow a strict routine for a while, only to change it for a whole new routine. I suspect they're trying to keep us on our toes.

Our girls used to pretty much leave Smarticus alone during the night, but lately, Dash has been sharing some of her love with him, too. (He calls her the Stomper.) I'm used to her waking me up before the butt crack of dawn every day, but one morning a couple years ago, after she woke me up, she pranced over to Smarticus to say hello to him, too. She only went over to him a couple times before concentrating her efforts on me, but nonetheless, what popped into my sleepy head as she bounced back and forth between the two of us was, Hello, muddah! Hello, faddah! (Which is totally ridiculous, because our cats have always called us Mama and Papa...with the accents on the second syllables.)

Nonetheless, that darn Allan Sherman song niggled at me most of the day, so I did what any cat-crazy weirdo writer would do. I wrote a parody of that song. I shared it on my blog back then, but here is is again, in case you missed it the first time around:

Hello Muddah, hello Faddah.
Here I am now, right beside ya.
Time to open up your eyes now;
Get your butt out of that bed and fix me chow now.

 I tried bouncing on your belly;
You're so fat, it feels like jelly.
You were so still, thought you were dead;
So I did CPR by jumping on your head. 

Come on, Muddah, time is ticking,
And your face I now am licking.
I must meow loudly in your ear,
Because if you don't get up soon, I'll starve, I fear.

With my claws, your cheek I'm gripping,
And my nose on you is dripping.
Come on, let's play and have some fun;
In only three more hours, we'll see the rising sun. 

Please get up, oh muddah, faddah, please get up, don't be a bother.
Starting your day's such an endeavor; sometimes it takes me forever.
Please get up, I promise I will be your friend and love you 'til the bitter end,
So why this cruel wait to get food upon my plate? 


Hurry, hurry, dearest muddah,
One foot down, and then the other.
I will lead you to the kitchen;
It is almost five o'clock, so quit yer bitchin'.

Wait a sec! What's that you're pouring?
Same as yesterday? How boring!
Pardon my French; it smells like crap...
It's time for me to join dear Faddah for a nap.

(I wish I were clever enough to know how to record that song and post it on Youtube with some funny cat pictures...)

Anyhow, here's the thing. Dot and Dash are usually right there with us, day or night. (Whether we want them there or not.) But sometimes... sometimes, they... disappear. Occasionally, they retreat to the sunroom we fixed up. For US. (They DO let us use it from time to time...)




But there have also been times when they simply... disappear without a trace. I always thought they were in some secret hiding place around the house. You know, that special place they go to when they hear you spell v-e-t? When they wanted to hide, there was no way we were gonna find them, no matter how hard we looked. No matter how much we called them, or how hard we shook a bag of treats. If they wanted to hide, they weren't coming out until they were good and ready.

At least, that's what I thought.

 Now I've learned.

 Now I know the truth.

Our cats have been leading  (gasp!) secret lives! It's true! Dot drives the getaway car...


                                            And just LOOK what Dash has been up to...

[courtesy of seniorark]

                                                             Those little stinkers.

                       

                  So what do you suppose YOUR cats are doing when you can't find THEM...?

                          Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.


56 comments:

  1. I love dogs; I respect cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 'em both. The only downside of having dogs is they're bigger anchors than cats. You can't take any spontaneous trips when you have dogs, because you've gotta board them, etc. As long as our cats have plenty of food, water, and litter boxes, they're good on their own for a few days.

      Delete
    2. Lucky you. My Lola has stress anxiety issues and if I leave for a few hours she's okay, but if I go every day, she begins scratching herself raw.

      Delete
    3. Awwww, bless her heart. Maybe she needs a pal? (Two cats are twice as nice as one!)

      Delete
  2. Typical cats! My Kitty was always the boss in the family. She ruled us all, including the dog, who meekly obeyed. I had her with me till she was 22, an enormous age, and I still miss her. Delicate cats' paws leave deep imprints on our souls! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are ALWAYS boss. Dogs might make more noise, but cats know how to take control. It's awesome that you had your cat for so many years. I hope we're as fortunate.

      Delete
  3. Only intelligent people love cats...because dumb people wouldn't know how to deal with them.
    You just knew that I could identify with everything on this post, didn't you Susan?

    My cat Scratch is on my lap now while I'm writing this - making it extremely difficult to type. She also enjoys sitting on my lap while I eat...eyeing the food and making me feel guilty until I finally give her some samples.

    Bosco is the feline who sleeps with me...or rather ON me. As you said - cats will comfortably sleep anywhere on your body: stomach, chest, shoulder, neck, head....
    The most alarming thing is that Bosco is a very heavy cat. There have been (many) times when he nearly suffocated me.
    I can just see the blaring headline:
    Death by Cat

    And after making our sleeping hours a living hell, cats LOVE to wake us up early in the morning and are extremely persistent until they finally force us to stumble out of bed.

    I'm reluctant to mention that all the expensive scratching posts I bought are totally IGNORED by the cats - because they enjoy scratching the hell out of my favorite furniture.

    Why do we put up with allowing cats to infiltrate our lives?
    Are we masochists? Or saints?

    Kall me Krazy, but - despite all the annoyances - I love my kitties and couldn't exist without them.

    Sorry for being so long-winded. I couldn't control myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll admit it. I had a feeling this post would "speak" to you. :)

      Scratching posts? Yeah, we have them, too, and our girls take a swat at them every once in a while, but nothing attracts their scratching urges more than our most expensive leather furniture, which now looks so awful, we had to resort to covering them with throws. Ah, well. There's no point in replacing the furniture, because we're keeping the cats.

      Are we all gluttons for punishment? Nope, and we aren't masochists or saints, either. As you already said... we're intelligent. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

      You can be as long-winded as you like whenever you like, cowboy. :) Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. LOL, silly cats! That parody song is so hilarious and clever...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your cats are driving your car, you need to get them on television. With that fame, they can start earning their keep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here I thought you were giving insight into Pat Hatt's life. Ha!
    You know how I am with cats - best from afar. But they love me.
    Cute post and pics and I have no cat hair on me (wearing black pants today)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bragger! No cat hair on you, huh? I can't even remember what that's like... :)

      Cheers back atcha. Have a super weekend!

      Delete
  7. Our dear old Nick woke me up every morning..standing in the door way doing the cat equivalent of clearing his throat (loudly) and I would say, "it's not time yet" and he would pause for a couple of minutes and then start up again. It was best to just get up and make his breakfast after which I could go back to bed and .... no, couldn't go back to sleep. Loved this post. All of it so very very true...well, maybe not the driving the car thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that all cats are masters at ruling their staff. Ours don't do a throat-clearing sound, but one of them sings. Loudly. It sounds like she thinks she'd an opera star, and then right after she sings... she ralphs. Gotta take the bad with the good, I reckon.

      Delete
  8. I do love cats but no longer have any. I'll never forget the 1st cat we had, who was supposed to be my daughters but came and stayed even when my DD left home. She was my buddy and often perched herself on my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, how sweet that she sat on your shoulder. (And MUCH more comfortable than sitting on your HEAD!) People who've never had a cat don't think they're loving critters, but they're wrong.

      Delete
  9. Cats have got this scam going on. You give them food; they eat the food; they walk away. That's the deal!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s silently sagacious Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cats must not have received that memo. They rarely just walk away. They'd much rather "hang out" with us... they're very "helpful" that way. :)

      Delete
    2. My daughter had two cats who were brothers. One was very friendly and the other one was very aloof until one day he was injured by a car and it changed his character. He became very 'needy', always seeking a lap to adorn.

      Delete
    3. We had a Persian cat who was very beautiful, but had been neglected by his previous owners. It was a very rare, but welcome, occasion when he graced us with any cuddling. But the two we have now? Very "needy," as you put it. (And I love it!)

      Delete
  10. I've never been owned by a feline … but Macie and Grace's nocturnal activities totally mimic Dot and Dash! I've tried pulling the covers over my face, try not to move a muscle or change my breathing pattern …. to no avail. Macie hovers like an anthropologist, mere inches from my face, while Grace's tongue goes in for the kill. Your Allan Sherman parody is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! We've had dogs like that, too. (I think we can spoil cats and dogs equally well...)

      Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  11. I must also compliment your Sherman pastiche. It's perfect. They are remarkable beings, supple, fluid, graceful, seeking the shape of any comfortable container. I have come to think of them a fur-bearing liquid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dude! I'm glad you like it. :)

      Yes! "Fur-bearing liquid" is a perfect description. They can fit into the most unbelievable tiny places!

      Delete
  12. Love, love love your post, friend Sue … I don't sing anymore, but if I would I would write you a melody for your poem … Always, Alberta cat and rescue cat Theo. https://youtu.be/peargM8CPoU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, cat! (Gee, I wonder why someone nicknamed cat likes a post about cats... ) :)

      How sweet. I still sing, and I've written quite a few songs, but what I wrote here is actually a parody of the song "Camp Grenada" by Allan Sherman. If you've never heard it before, check it out on Youtube. It's a real hoot.

      Have a wonderful weekend, sweet lady.

      P.S. Your Theo is a real beauty. But he looks entirely too stressed. HA! He's a picture of spoiled contentment. :)

      Delete
  13. Cats were my first love, but only because my parents wouldn't have a dog. Once I got one, there was no going back. So it's cats and dogs together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs were my first love, because my mother didn't like cats. Now, like you, I love 'em both. Our old dog and cat got along beautifully.

      Delete
  14. Yes, no writer's cave is complete without a cat helping to choose the letters :) And when we first introduced a dog to the household, the cats were most emphatically in charge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when a cat was introduced into our household years after the dog, the cat immediately assumed control!

      Delete
  15. The longest I've ever had a cat is Angel, who disappeared aged 3 and a half. My daughter's cat is close to 20 and has been with her since she was about four weeks old. I've had Lola now almost two years, and she is 10 years old, so we are still getting used to each other. Her most recent thing is needing to be near me in the evening after spending all day sleeping under the bed. As soon as I finish the dishes and sit in the recliner, there she is, on the raised foot rest part, sleeping with her back or head against my knees so I can't move. And boy! does she hate being disturbed. She has begun to accept petting too, which was a mistake on my part, because I'm happy with a minute or two, while she prefers to be petted until my arm falls off. I wish I knew what her life had been like before I got her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You've already had Lola for almost two years? Time really does fly when you're having fun...

      HA! Isn't it a hoot when they demand attention? When they decree that it's petting time? If we try to stop petting ours, they nudge us with their heads and pat us beseechingly with their paws. They're an endless source of entertainment.

      Whatever Lola's life was before, she's learned to trust you now. That's awesome. :)

      Delete
  16. haha yeah, they sure have their own ways and can change them when they see fit. Mine are so friggin needy it isn't funny, or maybe it is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL - you GET cats. That was cats in a nutshell. (And maybe that's one place they hide?) What is with the cats who step all over you in bed? Calvin & Hobbes always went around, and Star & Rocket usually do - but Rocko & Spunky? Heck no, they just walked all over the lumps in the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and they've GOT us, too... right where they want us. :)

      I dunno why some cats walk around while other tromp all over us. Yet one more mystery about the finicky feline mind.

      Delete
    2. Lola walks around me, as Angel used to do, but when either is/was ready to sleep they would often stretch out on my stomach and ribs until eventually ending up at the foot of the bed.

      Delete
    3. I prefer them walking around than stomping all over, but they sure do give us warm fuzzy feelings when they cuddle up on or next to us.

      Delete
  18. Hi Susan - love cats ... but none here. Mine used to spend his time at the bottom of my bed - which meant of course I couldn't get up and disturb him ... thankfully Mum was downstairs sorting food out for one and all!! Great post - fun to read ... just love them - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary. Oh, how well I know that idea of "not disturbing" the cats. We go through all kinds of gyrations to get into and out of bed without "bothering" the girls. :)

      I hope you can adopt a new cat soon. They are SUCH good company. (When they want to be...) Cheers back atcha.

      Delete
  19. Hahaha, now I've got that song in my head. Gee, thanks!

    I always had cats, until our last one passed away about seven or eight years ago. Sometimes I still stretch out my legs to reach for her, sitting at the bottom of the bed.

    Dot and Dash...from your Ham days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! You're welcome... :)

      Yep! We picked out the names before we even went to the animal shelter. If we'd waited until we got to know them before giving them names, I think I would've opted for Lucy and Ethel. Or Tinkerbell and Tankerbell...

      Delete
  20. The cats follow us around and are always around our feet. We step cautiously as our fear of tripping and breaking a hip or two is always on our mind. They will only disappear if they see the dreaded cat carrier. It only means one thing, ‘Vet Visit’. Daisy will hightail it under the king bed and sit in the middle where she knows we can’t reach. Her manicure appointment had to be cancelled this week due to owner’s frustration. We’ll get her next time but must first must make a careful plan. This is war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot about their proclivity for getting underfoot. Or coming up behind us without making a sound, so if we take a step backwards, we risk stepping on them or falling on our butts from trying NOT to step on them. Fun times!

      Our critters have always had ESP when it came to going to the vet. We even spelled it when they were within earshot, but still... they knew... and they immediately went into hiding. Our dogs loved to ride in the car, but they just "knew" when that trip was going to the dreaded vet, and they'd whine and drag their feet.

      You take yours in for a manicure? They don't much like it, but I've been trimming our cats' nails regularly since they were little bitty things. And yeah, it DOES sometimes feel like war...

      Delete
    2. We tried cutting Daisy’s nails but in the end, we were cowards. The vet just doubled the price for her ‘manny’ because they put her in the category of Difficult Cat’. It is still cheaper than replacing our furniture. She really is very lovable, though. She just doesn’t like anyone touching her feet. I can relate.

      Delete
    3. I understand. Dot went through a very "difficult" period, too. After she drew blood a couple times, I took to donning a thick heavy-duty robe before tackling her nails. Then just as suddenly as she turned psycho over it, she calmed down. She still doesn't like it, but oh well. (I wish MY nails grew as fast as THEIRS do!)

      Delete
  21. Cats definitely don't take to being ordered around. My cat, Bootsie, is positively obstinate. And if I don't feed him on time, he gives me a death-stare. But he loves me. And I love him. So it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obstinate? Yes. (Dontcha love it when they get ticked off and pointedly sit with their backs to you?) And loving... and lovable? Most definitely!

      Delete
  22. My cat is the elder pet in the house. So, not only does she sit on the throne of cat superiority to the canines, but she has the seniority too. She will sit and flick her tail and watch the ridiculous dogs act like fools. Cats are such classy, superior animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are definitely classy critters. They make me feel kinda honored that they deign to spend time with me. :)

      Delete
  23. What a hysterical post! Definitely get that song recorded :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fun parody! Cute pics and clever post. I love cats, but I don't currently own any. I have owned them in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had fun with it. :)

      I have a feeling we'll always have cats, and when we get older, maybe an older dog, too.

      Delete