Friday, January 21, 2022

A New Year and a New Life

 Thought for the day: It is utterly false and cruelly arbitrary to put all the play and learning into childhood, all the work into middle age, and all the regrets into old age. [Margaret Mead]

Hi, guys. Remember me? I sure remember you.

Mea culpa.

I know. I've been the world's absolute worst at keeping in touch, but in my defense, Margaret Mead was absolutely right...

I may be o-l-d, but there is zero room in my life for regret, because I'm too darned busy squeezing every drop of joy from each day, and that means lots and lots of playing and learning.

And it's been A-W-E-S-O-M-E! I'm pretty sure I even smile in my sleep.

But alas ...writing is one of those things that, at least for now, has fallen by the wayside.And that includes blogging. But I haven't forgotten you guys, and I hope you haven't forgotten me yet.

image courtesy of Bored Panda


So here I am... just peeking in to ask you

HOW THE HECK ARE YOU DOING??? 

It seems like there's been one after another after another Covid outbreak... maybe in your country, your state, your city... and it makes me think about you guys and worry about your welfare. Australia, in particular, has been sweltering under unbearably high temperatures, and I can't help but wonder how the lovelies Sue and Elsie are doing. So I'm here to check on you. And to fill you in on what's happening with me.

image courtesy of Bored Panda


Me?

I'm cooooool.

Ridiculously laid-back.

Unbelievably happy.


See? Don't I look happy? (And hey! Short hair now!)

That's 'cause I AM happy.

Last summer, Larry took me to visit some of the important people in my life. This is my niece/goddaughter, who lives in Maryland. We also spent a few days with my cousin at her beach house in Delaware. Wow, if THAT wasn't something! She and I went swimming at the very same place we used to swim as kids. (I must confess: I ACTED like a kid, too. Got swamped in the waves so many times, the lifeguards kept me under special surveillance, I'm sure.) It was SOOOOO much fun! 

Check out these pics of my cousin and me:

 

This was taken in about 1953 or so.

 
the summer of '65


last summer

 

This is the same cousin who was gonna travel to Italy with me. Alas, Covid said otherwise. Not sure if or when we'll get to take that trip, but it was beyond awesome to spend time together at the beach again. We may be old, but we haven't changed in the ways that matter. It was as though no time had passed...

We've already been to AL several times to visit my older son and his family and to FL to visit Larry's daughter and my younger son and his crew.  We've also visited with my brother and his sister. Wherever I wanta go, whatever I wanta do... somehow, Larry makes it happen. Even the things I don't say out loud. It's as though he sees inside my heart. As my cousin told me, "Everybody needs a Larry." And I thank my lucky stars I've got mine.

When we're home, we spend a few hours every day enjoying this...


Yes, the felt IS blue!

We even learned how to play a (smaller-sized) version of snooker, which is a lot of fun, albeit a tad annoying at the beginning of each rack, when you have to play with finesse and strategy. (I just wanta make balls! HA)  Right now, we're hooked on shooting straight pool. 

We've also been playing every kind of game imaginable. Even have a tabletop ice hockey game, which is a whole lot more fun that I expected. 

We've been learning a lot of stuff, too. But you don't wanta hear all that. Besides, there's something ELSE I want to tell you. 

Something reeeeeeally cool. And unbelievable.

Ohmigod, I'm getting married!!!

Really! This sassy old broad, who thought my world ended when my husband died, is so happy, it's a wonder my heart doesn't explode and send a shower of sheer sparkling joy all over the world. The youthful bloom of first love is fabulous, but I abso-doggone-lutely guarantee that love at my age is even better. I promise you.

Get this... we're gonna take the plunge on 2/22/22... at 2:22, of course. How cool is THAT? Oh yeah... that date happens to fall on a TWOS-day. HA! Dontcha love it? As my daughter Sunshine said, "That's TWO-bular!" Hmmm, the jury's out as to whether or  not I should wear a tutu... 

image courtesy of Bored Panda


No promises, but I'm gonna try not to be such a stinker about keeping in touch. To those of you who've contacted me in one way or another over the past six months, I thank you. Even though I was a major butthead about responding, your efforts were truly appreciated. 

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: 

You guys rock!

 

 

 

 

                                Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

   

                                                                

image courtesy of Bored Panda

That last picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post whatsoever. I just thought it was funny. Gives a whole new meaning to "bubble butt."

56 comments:

  1. I am beyond thrilled to read this. Forget you? No way, no how, no chance. Not until Australia freezes over... All of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sooooo good to hear from you, dear lady. Somehow, I knew you'd be the first to comment. :) Thank you. You're too kind. I could never forget you, either.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I am very happy for you :) And congrats on getting married (again!). I wish you and your new hubby all the happiness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Life sure has a way of throwing us curve balls, doesn't it? I never expected this, and I wasn't looking for anyone... until he rang my doorbell. I'll tell y'all our story one of these days. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on getting married. I love 2/22 idea. That's Terrific! I'm glad life is treating you so well ! Count your blessings, you have so many !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MA! I'm humbled by how unbelievably well life has been treating me. Dunno what I could've possibly done to deserve so much love in my life, but I'm beyond grateful that it's here. :)

      Delete
  4. YEH!!!!! Very happy to hear things are going so well. Wishing you all the best, now and always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your happiness overwhelms me and I feel so much joy for you. 22222Twosday is perfect. I love your haircut and it shows your beautiful wide smile and the happiness you are feeling. Congratulations dear Susan, the best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, sweet lady. All the way around. Yes, in spite of my age, I truly believe the best is yet to come. Who knew? I sure didn't! But every day seems to be better than the day before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy wishes to you! It is apparent you have chosen well! I love the way your enthusiasm spills over into your writing! This pandemic has kept us a bit restricted, though, thanks to vaccinations/boosters, the vaccinated part of our family was here during the holidays. It was their idea to test before coming. Hopeful that this current wave will soon be gone! Continue living life to its fullest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes ma'am, I do believe I made an amaaaaazing choice.

      I think we're ALL gonna be deliriously happy to see the end of this stinkin' pandemic, but thank goodness for these glimpses of normalcy we're experiencing now, thanks to the vaccines. As my mother used to say, "This, too, shall pass."

      Delete
    2. Alas and alack, I've tried multiple times, but I simply cannot post a comment on your blog post. :(

      Delete
  8. Congratulations!! That's awesome you are taking the plunge again and are so happy. And sounds like the two of you have been leading quite the adventure. Don't give up on Italy - once everyone realizes it's an endemic now, things will open and relax.
    Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! After being married for more than 51 years the first time around, I never expected to get married again, but who am I to argue with love? :)

      We haven't given up on Italy yet, but we may end up changing the destination to Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. We shall see...

      Thanks. It's heartwarming to have you guys show up after I've been away so long. :)

      Delete
  9. Hey, Susan - it's great to hear from you, really a pleasant surprise! And I'm delighted to know that things have been going so well - you sound so happy, content, and optimistic. It seems that this is truly a golden time in your life, with the fruition of many dreams.

    I was thinking of you the other day - and I assumed that you were probably married or planning a wedding. CONGRATULATIONS!
    2-22-22 at 2:22.... it sounds like a perfect number combination.
    I'm wishing you all the very best, because you certainly deserve it. Even though blogging is no longer at the top of your agenda, please keep us updated when you can. A lot of people care about you. Big Hugs, Jon

    BTW - you look terrific in your recent photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, cowboy! Yeah, you're right... this does feel like a golden age for me. Evidently, old age ain't ALL bad. :)

      I'll still pop in to post periodically, I'm sure. You guys are too important to abandon entirely. You take care of yourself. And please keep playing your piano. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  10. It's so great to hear some good news! I'm happy that you're happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ian. I'm happy that you're happy that I'm happy. :) (And I hope you're happy, too!)

      Delete
  11. I'm so stinkin' happy for you, girlie! Love the new hair cut!
    BTW, where oh where can I go to find a smidgen of your enthusiasm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, kiddo. Thanks. I'm stinkin' happy, too. :)

      The short hair is a lot easier to take care of, and (sigh) I was a wee bit too old to keep carrying off the Cinderella look. HA

      I dunno where you can find enthusiasm... maybe at Batteries and More... (They should be able to give ya a kick-start, anyway...)

      Delete
  12. YES TO THE TUTU and the hair and all of it! You are entirely excused from needing to be in constant communication when life is what deserved your attention :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. HA! Why am I not surprised that you're in favor of the tutu? :)

    Thanks, sweetie. Life has kinda taken over my life. HA

    Big hugs to ya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny...I've been away from the blogging world for a myself for a couple years. I've done this, I've done that, but I decided I missed being here. So, I came back. Wonder if that's a good thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hello there, funny man! I hope all is well with you, and welcome back to ye olde blogosphere. Yeah, I think it's a good thing for you to come back. Not only because it's something you enjoy, but because it connects you to some really cool people, and let's face it: the world needs all the humor it can get right now. And you're just the dude to provide some of it.

      Delete
  15. Well, that's pretty darn exciting. I say wear a tutu of many colors. I'm so glad you found your Larry.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm pretty excited, too, in case ya can't tell. :)

      Woo HOO! Yet another vote for the tutu...

      Me, too. Like my cousin said, "Everybody needs a Larry."

      Delete
  16. *Snap* Just yesterday I was wondering about you and when you might post again. The short hair looks really great!
    But getting married again is the best news. Congratulations! I hope you two have many happy years.
    We have had some hot days, but overall the summer has been cooler and damper than usual. Right now in Adelaide it is raining, although still warmish, so I have the doors open for the fresh air after two days with the airconditioner blasting out cold air.
    So glad to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hey there! I've been wondering about you, too. I sure am glad to hear the record-breaking heat I've been reading about isn't in your area.

      I really like having my hair short. May not look as good, but it sure is a lot easier to take care of. (But I didn't get rid of my hot rollers yet... ya never can tell...)

      I KNOW!!! Getting married again. Seems unreal, but oh-so right.

      Take care, sweetie. :)

      Delete
  17. You're getting married? How wonderful! I hope you get to keep traveling and living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Getting married! Unreal, huh? We're hoping to keep traveling and living, too. (Not much fun traveling after we're dead. HA)(Sorry... I couldn't resist...) :)

      Delete
  18. Congratulations, Linda! I wish you many years of happiness together. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Susan - this is just brilliant to read ... so cheering and I'm so so pleased for you and Larry - sounds absolutely perfect. Gosh what an amazing time you've both been having ... I'm (still - after 30 seconds!!) so so pleased for you - also good to know you'll be keeping us up to date ...

    I think I'll have to do something special on the 2nd - join you vicariously in celebration. It must be completely unbelievable - just good to know Larry is there to make sure you don't hit the floor and it's real!!!

    I too was wondering about the two of you - but obviously way too much going on in your world ... the feeling is now here - excellent news ...

    Just enjoy every minute ... fantastic news - makes me happy to think about it all ... other than that - all well here, nothing as exciting though!! Cheers, hugs and love to you both - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Hilary! Thanks so much for your support. I always believed happiness was contagious, but now I know it's true. Every single person who knows us is cheering us on and seems to be over the top happy for us. It's truly amazing. And humbling. Hopefully, someone will take a couple pics on the 22nd so I can share them with y'all.

      I'm glad to hear all is well with you, too. Take care, sweet lady. Cheers!!!

      Delete
  20. It's so good to see how positive you are! And lovely to catch up.
    Snooker is a MUCH more interesting game than Pool...😊
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s reassuringly rhadamanthine Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-ya, Barry. Thanks for your kind words. I've always been a pathological optimist, but my positivity has taken on a whole new level. :)

      Yeah, snooker is definitely interesting; I'll grant ya that. But I'm still the gal who gets the most pleasure from actually sinking the balls, so I get a tad impatient with all the pussy-footing around at the beginning of each rack.

      Delete
  21. So many twos that a rhyme or two could come due. Congrats on getting married come the 2s. Would that mean you give two hoots as you tell us a thing or two? Keep enjoying the adventures and having fun. No two ways about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're right. All those twos do kinda pave the way for a smart-assed poem. (And you'd be just the dude to do it justice. Um, not that I'm calling you a smart ass or anything, but if the shoe fits... HA)

      Thanks for the congrats. Much appreciated. And yeah, I definitely give two hoots. No two ways about it.

      Delete
  22. I'm thrilled beyond words. You so deserve your happiness! Wishing even more happiness, an exciting adventure, and a most romantic and never ending honeymoon! I love you dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweetie. I dunno if I deserve this much happiness, but I sure am enjoying it!

      Delete
  23. Congrats on the wedding!!! And nothing finishes off the day better than a bubble on the butt. Particularly a cute one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juli. Yeah, you've gotta love that cute little bubble butt. Plus, that bubble might give his poots a new and improved scent... :)

      Delete
  24. Congratulations!!! And I do Hope you make it to Italy too with The Cousin. That last Image is almost as good as Unicorns farting Rainbows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We're still hoping to travel... it's a question of when and where. Maybe still Italy, maybe not. (We were hoping to take a cooking class in Sicily...)

      Delete
  25. I am so happy that YOU'RE so happy. You deserve all the happiness that makes you smile in your sleep. :) Your short hair looks great! And a huge CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming wedding!!! 2/22/22...at 2:22pm. Angel numbers! <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks, Chrys! I appreciate it.

    Angel numbers, huh? Interesting. I'll have to check that out. (I knew Larry was heaven-sent...!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm very glad we had an email chat about your joy and upcoming nuptials. But I had to make it official by saying Hooray! here on your blog. The "new" you smile is a good look with sassy hair and a sparkle in your soul. SO SO happy for you. Cheers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweet lady. Getting to know people like you is one of the nicest things about blogging.:)

      Delete
  28. Happy, happy day, dear Susan and your love, Larry on this wonderful occasion. It is about a half hour to you say "I do" and I wish you both happiness for all of your days. I hope the sun is shinning but if it is not, I know that the glow around you will brighten up everything around you and those you love.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweetie. Today IS a happy day, but my Happy (wedding!!!) Day is the 22nd. :) Which is good... I still have a wee bit longer to figure out what the heck I'm gonna wear! HA

      Delete
  29. Congratulations!!!! You're so allowed to not stay in touch when you're doing so many fun things and living life to its fullest. I'm not the best at keeping in touch either, but you're always close in my thoughts. I'm so very, very happy you're happy. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete