Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Sounds of Silence

Thought for the day:  The laughter of a child is the light of a house.   African proverb


You wanta know what is it
Made this past week such a riot?
Seven grandkids came to visit.
But now ...
It's much too quiet.

It was both exhilarating and exhausting having the family here. First time in years all our chicks were back in the nest at the same time. And the first time we ever had seven grandchildren here all at once, too.  My hubby and I found out we both make pretty darned good jungle gyms, even if we do need to reach for the tube of BenGay later. And I learned, even though I have a competitive nature, I don't mind it at all when my granddaughters beat me at Candyland. I also learned that even though one of our granddaughters is almost as tall as I am, she still fits quite nicely on my lap.

Now, we're in what my hubby jokingly called recovery and damage assessment modes. The chalk drawings all over our driveway (and my car!) should last until we have a good rain, and I may leave the swirl of fingerprints on the screen door glass and living room TV for a few days, too. Seeing them makes me smile. They're a reminder of giggling grandchildren, shrieks of laughter, running feet, and gleeful shouts of  "Grandmom!" and "Grandpop!"  ringing through the house.

I miss them already.

This camel is in dire need of Listerine.
While they were here, we did a little sightseeing, too. Like to the plantation at Stone Mountain, where our granddaughters were convinced we'd see ghosts. (My husband's eerie Woooooos didn't help that situation a bit.) We also went to a game ranch, where the kids got to interact up-close and personal with a bunch of different animals. However, that picture with the camel isn't of our grandson. It's just a picture that tickled my funny bone, and it comes to us courtesy of the cool people at perfecttimedphotos.com


There's something magical about being a grandparent.

Being a parent is wonderful, but being a grandparent is downright magical. Here are some really cool thoughts about being a grandparent:

  • Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric.   Pam Brown
  • My grandkids believe I'm the oldest thing in the world. And after two or three hours with them, I believe it, too.   Gene Perret
  • Grandparents are just antique kids.  Origin unknown
  • A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart.  Origin unknown
  • An hour with your grandchildren can make you feel young again. Anything longer than that, you start to age quickly.   Gene Perret
  • Being grandparents sufficiently removes us from the responsibilities so that we can be friends.  Allan Frome
  • Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap.  Doug Larsen
  • Do you know why children are so full of energy? Because they suck it out of their grandparents. Gene Perret
  • Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing our kids.  Origin unknown
  • Grandchildren don't stay young forever, which is good, because grandfathers only have so many horsey rides in them.   Gene Perret
  • The handwriting on the wall means the grandchildren found the crayons.  Origin unknown

It was a glorious week. But alas, even if I do leave the fingerprints for a while, I should probably go scrub the sticky kitchen floor before one of our poor cats get glued to it. They've suffered enough trauma. They, I might add, are deliriously happy to have their house back again.

In closing, I'd like to share a totally cool video with you that my brother sent to me. It shows an intimate view inside a robin's nest. It seems rather appropriate, because I can certainly identify with that mother robin when her nest was jammed full of her growing babies ... and when her nest was empty again. You can check it out here

Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

13 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a marvelous time with your kiddos and grand-kiddos! And thanks for sharing that video -- it's fantastic. We have a pair of robins nesting under our deck right now, and they dive-bomb me every time I go out to water my deck plants. Protective parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my sister's family staying with me last week. It was hectic and fun and we were up to our knees in dog hair, between their dog and ours. After they left, I reveled in the silence for an hour or so (I do like my solitude) -- but then I remembered it might be as long as a year before I see them again, and I missed them a lot. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. "recovery and damage assessment" LOL, i like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute! Everyone should have grannies like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Grandkids are the best aren't they? You can enjoy them, fill them full of sugar, get them all wound up and then, send them home. Revenge!!!!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. My meticulous grandmother used to leave our fingerprints on her windows for weeks after we left--they brought her pleasant memories. Now thinking about them, brings pleasant memories back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. About a month to go, and we too will have the fingerprints, sticky floor, and aching backs. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, those are some lucky grandkids. I think my Roz would want to adopt you! Fancy borrowing one more? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, All. Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate them ... and you.

    Linda- I'm glad you liked that video. I thought it was pretty neat to get a "bird's eye" view of life inside a nest.

    Dianne- I know what you mean about the "missing" part. I was ready for them to come back before their cars even pulled out of sight.

    Karen- Me, too. Pretty darned accurate description, too!

    Austan- Thanks. How sweet of you to say.

    Karen- You betcha. I realize how very lucky I am.

    Delores- Yes, they are absolutely the best!

    Connie- Glad to remind you of your grandmother. I guess we all kinda enjoy seeing those fingerprints the grandkids leave behind.

    Cro- Counting down, huh? I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit as much as we did.

    CarrieBoo- Sure. We're expecting our 12th in October, and there's always room for a lucky 13.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky grandchildren!

    My grandparents had 14 children, resulting in over 50 grandchildren. The farm was over-run with us!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Pearl. Nah, more like lucky grandparents. WHOA! Now, that is one humongous family! Good thing your grandparents had a farm. (and were blessed with LOTS of kid power, too) Thanks so much for stopping by. I believe it's a first. (Hope it's not a last!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great blog!
    I'll be back often!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Mariabei. Thank you, dear lady, and thank you for signing on as a follower, too. I visited your blog, too, but alas, I don't understand Italian. Nice pictures there, though, and looks like you talk about Scotland a bit.

    ReplyDelete