Monday, September 17, 2012

Days Like These

Thought for the day: In times like these, it helps to remember that there have always been times like these.  [Paul Harvey]

A Nebraska one-room schoolhouse [morguefile]
A lot of kids hate to study, and they especially hate to study history. Me, I always enjoyed it. Of course, one could say that when I was in school, there was a heckuva lot less history to learn. Even though that's essentially true, may I point out that it wouldn't be terribly polite for one to mention it.

Because I have no earthly idea what to write about today. history is on my mind today, let's see if there's anything significant about today, shall we?

Hear ye, hear ye. Today is Constitution Day, commemorating the signing of that mighty document back in 1787. Sorry, but since it isn't a Federal holiday, nobody gets the day off, but if you want to wear a powdered wig to work in honor of this day's significance, feel free. I'm sure your boss will understand.






Today also marks the 150th
anniversary of the Civil War's battle at Antietam, the bloodiest in U.S. history. At three o'clock today, the names of all those men killed and mortally wounded during this battle will be read aloud during a remembrance ceremony. Many who survive war say the lesson of war is ... NO MORE WAR. Unfortunately, this is a history lesson the world has yet to learn.




Blame it on Pittsburgh. This is their Civic Arena, our country's first retractable-dome stadium. Since it opened for business on September 17, 1961, cities all over the country have competed to see who can lavish the most money on building bigger and better arenas. Matter of fact, plans are afoot right here in Atlanta to spend $1.2 billion to build our Falcons a cozy little retractable-dome stadium of their very own. Because our current stadium doesn't already have a dome? Um, no. But it isn't retractable. Because our old stadium is falling-down decrepit? Um, not exactly. It's not even twenty years old. Then, why? The politicians, team owner, and players want one, silly.

On this day in 1976, NASA unveiled its first space shuttle, the Enterprise.  See any familiar faces in the picture? In a nifty example of science meeting science fiction, cast members of Star Trek were invited to witness the shuttle's debut.









Brief follow-up on the Enterprise:  on December 12, 2011, she was lowered onto her final retirement home aboard the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum in New York City.









[photo by David Shankbone]
One year ago today, the Occupy Wall Street movement began in Zucotti Park, New York City. Has the movement accomplished anything? I honestly don't know.                

What do you think?







Oh, in case you missed it, yesterday was the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer. (I hope y'all did your part by laying off the hair spray.)

                               Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

The main difference for the history of the world if I had been shot rather than Kennedy is that Onassis probably wouldn't have married Mrs. Khrushchev.  [Nikita Krushchev]

**Last six images from Wikipedia [public domain]

27 comments:

  1. T'was a busy day in history. I wonder what will be added to the list by next year at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so interesting!! my kids love history and are slowly converting me into loving to learn history too...
    oh boy do I now have stuff to tell them about today..thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a book report on Antietum once. All so very sad.

    And they say the pic of the signing of the constitution is not a true representation -- none of the signers were all there at the same time. The artist was commissioned to do it that way. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delores- No telling, but I hope it's something GOOD.

    Annmarie- How wonderful that your kids love history. Now, go wow 'em!

    Anne- Antietam was a sad page in our history. Hard to believe that many people were killed or injured in a twelve-hour period. More than 21,000 if I remember correctly. Yeah, I know the painting isn't a true representation of the signing, but it's an image most of us have seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like history now, but in school found it quite boring. All we ever studied (in England) was WWI and WWII, but not even the good stuff. Just dates and names.

    Apparently the Occupy movement tried to get going again recently in Canada but didn't have a very good turn out. I'm guessing it didn't amount to much in the end? But not positive.

    For your Friday post... I'm not happy about the baseball crowd ruining it for cheap beer! And one of Roz's first scans, I thought she looked like a mutant pig child. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. CarrieBoo- If all you got in history class was a bunch of dry dates and names to memorize, I can see why you weren't a fan. A teacher has to make history come alive for students if he wants to capture their interest and imagination. Who's going to get curious about a boring list of dates? (Not me.) HA! A mutant pig child, huh? Well, look how adorable she is now. Those scan pictures can be pretty darned scary, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit, those suits -- the wide lapels, the autumn color scheme -- in the image from 1976 make my heart skip a bit. I know. Can that be any weirder. I'm thinking, no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suze- That's too funny. Can't say that I have the same reaction to the fashions of the '70s. My husband and sons had polyester leisure suits back then, and wore them with slinky-looking patterned shirts, but when I look at pictures from those days, I wonder, "What WERE we thinking???"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leonard Nimoy in elephant bells! You've made my day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent history lesson, we all need to look back at times to see where we came from in order to know where we are going.

    The battle of Antietam in Sharpsburg MD took app 26,000 lives and as you said we still have not learned that War is not always the answer, isn't it sad that most wars you can talk about without mentioning the names and the end results are much the same.

    Thank You for giving us a look back :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura- Isn't that a hoot??? Glad ya liked it.

    Jimmy- Yep, you're right, as long as we don't spend so much time looking into the rear view mirror, we miss what's right in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We do not have a dome at all at the Bronco's stadium here in Colorado. I sort of like being in the outdoors, though it's terribly unpleasant during freezing rain.

    How fun that they invited the Star Trek cast to the Enterprise launch. I had no idea.

    My kids celebrated Constitution Day in school today or I'd have no idea that was today. Every year their school splits up the colors by class and they pose for an overhead flag picture. Pretty neat, actually.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job! Lots of interesting information here and now you have me thinking it would be fun to look up any old day to see what may have happened in history on that day. Like you I love history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Antietam is a beautiful place during autumn, but when we first visited there and we reached Bloody Lane, I felt moved and frightened by the thought of war, of any war.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. The 'occupy' movement taught everyone one basic truth; that the financial heart of any country is essential. I don't know about the US, but 'the city' in the UK produces about 70% of the whole country's tax revenue.

    Get rid of that, and you get rid of welfare!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for another great history lesson. You make not only painless, but downright fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shannon- Football games played outside on crisp sunny fall afternoons are wonderful, but I'm not a fan of sitting out there in the freezing rain and snow. Back in the days when everyone got all dressed up to go to college games, I was caught in a freezing downpour at our homecoming game... wearing an emerald green wool suit. I smelled like a wet collie. Neat that your kids celebrated Constitution Day. I don't remember our kids celebrating when they were in school. Nor did I when I was in school. (And contrary to popular belief, my schooldays didn't precede the signing!)

    Inger- I think it's fun to check out "this day in history." You can find some pretty amazing things.

    Janie- Being on a battlefield, any battlefield, is a sobering experience, isn't it? You can almost hear the spirits of the past cry out in pain.

    Cro- True, but I also think a lot of those people are railing at the futility of "trickle-down" economics and political pandering.

    Linda- Gee, thanks. Maybe I'll be a teacher in my next life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know the occupy movement ruined a perfectly good park for about a year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joeh- I know what you mean. Protesters camped in an Atlanta park, too. Thanks for stopping by! I do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate that crap when they build a new stadium because they WANT it, don't NEED it. It's like keeping up with the Joneses. As in Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboys and their billion dollar stadium. Except Jerry paid for that himself basically. I just think it is wrong to take taxpayers money for a non neccessity when the money is better spent. They always say "But look how much the team generates revenue for the city." Yeah because only 1% of the population of the state can afford to attend a game. Grrrrr. Sorry I'll shut up now. :D heehee

    Yeah, let's blame Pittsburg - always a good idea to blame any PA team for anything.

    Really, I'm not cranky. Why do you ask? Enjoy your week my friend. Nice to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the history review. I helped preserve the ozone layer by not doing anything except reading. I'm breathing better, already.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the history review. I helped preserve the ozone layer by not doing anything except reading. I'm breathing better, already.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Skippy- Hi, kiddo. I agree with you about spending all that money to build a stadium. Cut funding for education, cut funding for police and fire, cut funding for unemployment and health and welfare benefits, but by golly, let's build a stadium! Right. 12:34

    Barb- Good for you. Reading is the perfect way to spend the day, even if it didn't protect the ozone layer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. it ALWAYS tickles me that only you could get so many themes into one post! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. John- You should see how much I squeeze into our fridge and pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Susan .. as John says you always have so much to tell us - and laugh at ..

    Kruschev's comment is "great"???

    Cheers .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hilary- I thought Khrushchev's comment was pretty neat, too. We so seldom heard anything that revealed a sense of humor. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete